Why was the USAF.....................

Old January 11th 04, 02:22 AM
Mike Marron

Dave Holford wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

A preemptive strike, perhaps? Recall the Israeli attack on the Osiraq
nuclear powerplant near Baghdad back in 1981.

On where - Florida where they were taking pilot training?

Of course not. A preemptive strike "wherever terrorists hide, or run,
or plan" (e.g: Afghanistan, Indonesia, Iraq, etc. etc...)

etc. etc.....

Just how many "preemptive" stikes did you have in mind? and how many
'innocent civilians' did you propose executing in the process?

And how would this have stopped the terrorists who were all legal
residents of the U.S. prior to 9/11?

I answered your questions and you predictably come back with three
more insincere, smartass questions. Now, allow me to ask you a
SERIOUS question, if I may.

Do you believe that anything, anything at all, could have been done to
prevent the apocalyptic 9/11 attacks that killed more than THREE
THOUSAND innocent Americans and changed the world as we know
it forever?

Think about it....

Old January 11th 04, 02:59 AM

Mike Marron wrote:

(B2431) wrote:

Even if I believed half of the stories you have told us you would have to be in
your fifties at least. Time for you to act your age.

If I'm in my fifties then you must be in your eighties! And what
right do you have to tell people to grow up when you haven't
done so yourself?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Mike, most of the people here are ex military and as such pretty
well know that you're telling 'stories' about travelling around
on a crew bus, climbing up on your dad's a/c wing to look inside,
watching him make that 'Buck Rogers' takeoff and vert. climb from
the tower etc. Don't you feel the least bit embarrassed? I'd
never show my face in public if I was ever foolish enough to do
that, but then, perhaps that's the answer?
--

-Gord.
Old January 11th 04, 03:10 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,

From: Chad Irby

Date: 1/10/2004 4:13 PM Central Standard Time
In article ,
"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
"John Keeney" wrote:

At least it wasn't the Navy's B-52N.

...the catapult launches were spectacular, but kicking the whole ship
backwards fifty yards was annoying the crew...

...plus I still think that the engineering that must have gone
into that wing folding joint must have been horrendous not to
mention worrying in use.

Well, after those two guys got caught in the accordion folds of the
Model I B-52N, the telescoping wings of the Model II were a big
improvement. Although they did have a tendency to push Tomcats over
the side if you accidentally activated them without checking clearances.

The 6" diameter arrestor cables for the B-52N were also a bit of a
problem, and were a pain to clear. Not to mention the three tailhooks
and how they were fitted to the fuselage, which reduced the bombload and
occasionally got caught on trees in low-level flight.

It didn't help that the boats could only carry one or two.

Well, the whole "Squadron Freighter" companion ship concept just didn't
work out, since the cranes they built to move the planes from the
carrier's flight deck were severely underpowered, and the companion
ships were too slow to keep up during flight ops.

Not to mention having to armor the bows of the carriers to protect the
ships in case of a catapult failure.

Although I have to admit that the followon project - the Ultra Large COD
Aircraft - was showing some promise when the Defense Department had to
cancel the program to redesign the planes as land-based freighters.
They worked out quite nicely as the C-5 Galaxy once they fixed the
landing gear and removed the arresting hooks.

Old January 11th 04, 03:57 AM
OXMORON1

BUFDRVR wrote:
That's General Jack D. Ripper to those of us who love him

My Dad knew him when he was a new LTC just back from B-24 tour. Nobody loved
him and when he got sent to A-20 and transitioned into A-26's, he thought he
was a FIGHTER PILOT! He went to B-36s after the war. The rest of the story
came out in the movie, precious bodily fluids and all that :-) Even his wife
called him Feneral or Sir
Oxmoron1
I think his illegitimate son was a Flight Examiner in 22AF circa 1969!
Old January 11th 04, 05:37 AM
John Keeney

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
It's been too long since I've seen it, what were the details that
determined the types?

Short tail with no engine cowling raps = G
Short tail with engine cowling raps = H

OK, I was hoping for something more esoteric: G's & H's I can identify
if I can see the tail & engines.

Tall Tail = B/C/D/E/F...I can't tell these apart externally.

Old January 11th 04, 05:40 AM
John Keeney

"BUFDRVR" wrote in message
"Tall Tale".

BUFDRVR

I think the whole movie was a "Tall Tale" even the tall tailed bird.

LOL...damn Tex, you're the only that pointed out my error, I'm a little
surprised.

tail
tail
tail

Never mind, this never worked in 3rd grade.....

I assumed it was just a cleaver pun.

Old January 11th 04, 01:44 PM
BUFDRVR

I assumed it was just a cleaver pun.

Nope, distracted typing....

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 11th 04, 05:07 PM
Mike Marron

Dave Holford wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

[...]

It doesn't take much thought.

Precisely the things that are being done now to prevent a repeat.

Thank you. I rest my case.