RAF Cuts

Old February 17th 04, 10:00 AM
Myedniy Vsadnik

Default RAF Cuts

An article in the Sunday Times at the weekend seemed to be heavily
hinting that some major cuts are imminent for the RAF. Does anybody
have any thoughts and they might or should be?

I think Tranche 3 of the Typhoon buy is safe for now. The political
ramifications, both domestic and foreign, would be a bit unpalatable
at the moment and would obivously not help the prospects of the
possible Greek and Singaporean export orders. Also, a Tranche 3
cancellation does not help the short term financial situation.

Nimrod MRA.4 would be a more likely candidate for the chop. We once
again are unable to work the alchemy of transmuting the base metal of
the 50s Comet airframe into the gold of a modern military aircraft.
Nimrod AEW.3 redux. I could see a situation where MRA.4 is chopped,
the current kipper fleet soldiers on until 2010-2012 and the RAF then
gets half a dozen of whatever wins the US DoD MMA requirement.

Having said all that, I am attempting to view British defence
procurement policy through the prism of logic, so my analysis is
probably fatally flawed!

--
Vsadnik
Old February 18th 04, 04:52 PM
B S D Chapman

On 17 Feb 2004 02:00:02 -0800, Myedniy Vsadnik
wrote:

An article in the Sunday Times at the weekend seemed to be heavily
hinting that some major cuts are imminent for the RAF. Does anybody
have any thoughts and they might or should be?

snip

Nimrod MRA.4 would be a more likely candidate for the chop. We once
again are unable to work the alchemy of transmuting the base metal of
the 50s Comet airframe into the gold of a modern military aircraft.
Nimrod AEW.3 redux. I could see a situation where MRA.4 is chopped,
the current kipper fleet soldiers on until 2010-2012 and the RAF then
gets half a dozen of whatever wins the US DoD MMA requirement.

The alchemy has already been done. The problems have nothing to do with
re-lifing the fuselarge, redesigning the wings and installing new engines.
That was done years ago (though needing new wings did come as a surprise
to BAe).

The delays and costs are down to systems integration, and rediculous,
continous, ongoing changes to the specification. Many suppliers sold BAe
off-the-shelf products that didn't exist.

Don't think that we'll give up Nimrod and wait for America to build
something: They're waiting for us to finish Nimrod so that Boeing can
nick the code (paid for by the MoD and BAe) and use it for themselves.

MR2 is the finest MPA in the world. MRA4 will keep Nimrod there for many
years to come. Unfortunately for us, we don't have any spare Commets to
sell the yanks (or anyone else), and the USG would never buy in to an
Airbus solution.

--

....And so as the little andrex puppy of time scampers onto the busy
dual-carriage way of destiny, and the extra-strong meat vindaloo of fate
Old February 21st 04, 06:14 PM
Myedniy Vsadnik

B S D Chapman mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message ...

Don't think that we'll give up Nimrod and wait for America to build
something: They're waiting for us to finish Nimrod so that Boeing can
nick the code (paid for by the MoD and BAe) and use it for themselves.

I am not sure what you mean by the word 'nick'. It is not a foregone
conclusion that Boeing will win the MMA contest. Even if they do, the
facts that the avionics and sensor fit will be incompatible and that
BAe will give their intellectal property to Boeing for nothing makes
the chances of this happening remote.

--
Vsadnik
Old February 21st 04, 08:31 PM
Ian

"Myedniy Vsadnik" wrote in message
om...
B S D Chapman mail-at-benchapman-dot-co-dot-uk wrote in message

Don't think that we'll give up Nimrod and wait for America to build
something: They're waiting for us to finish Nimrod so that Boeing can
nick the code (paid for by the MoD and BAe) and use it for themselves.

I am not sure what you mean by the word 'nick'. It is not a foregone
conclusion that Boeing will win the MMA contest. Even if they do, the
facts that the avionics and sensor fit will be incompatible and that
BAe will give their intellectal property to Boeing for nothing makes
the chances of this happening remote.

--
Vsadnik

I'm nearly sure that the code for the avionics and sensors on MRA4 are Boing
written (or at least to boeing requirements based on what the MoD (think!!)
they want). BAe are really only looking at the airframe, and avionic
integration