making a comeback

Old June 28th 10, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default making a comeback

Me, not this newsgroup...

New (to me) airplane is paid for (LSA amateur built taildragger (Merlin
GT)) and waiting for me to get current to come get it. Hangar is sitting
empty.

The instuctor thinks next time round I should be in good enough shape to
sign off - my airwork is good - had some fun flying around with the stall
horn blaring feeling for the burble... No problems under the hood, except I
hadn't noticed that the turn coordinator was inop until I put the foggels
on and tried to make a turn. I start the turn and look to fine tune it to
the 2 minute rate and WTF? It isn't moving LOL. At first I thought the
instructor was messing with me, but no, it was inop. Took a bit to get the
scan working, but it came back.

I do need to work on landings a bit more - but the funny thing is that what
I think I am having the most problems with are the flaps and nosewheel - it
just doesn't handle like the old Cessna 120 I used to fly. The LSA doesn't
have flaps or a nosewheel either, so I expect it to be easier than the 150
I am renting now.

Last landing today was simulated power out - he asked me where I was going
to put it, and I said on the 1000 foot mark - we had tons of runway to play
with, so no point in coming in short. I put it right in the middle of the
marks. heh heh heh...

Oh, yea, the airport was almost as much fun as a boat ramp today - some guy
in an ultralight was practicing taxiing - on the runway - while in the
pattern there was a Cherokee on the wrong freqency, another Cessna, a BIG
twin, and an Airknocker that decided to land on the grass rather than mix
it up with the rest of us... At least I got a chance to make the "go
around" decision.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old June 30th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Stephen!" wrote in message
"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com wrote in
:

New (to me) airplane is paid for (LSA amateur built taildragger
(Merlin GT)) and waiting for me to get current to come get it. Hangar
is sitting empty.

Have fun with that!

I intend to. Just need to get it home first.

Last week I got the opportunity to take a ride the *THE* airplane that
won the Short Takeoff and Landing competition in Valdez last month.
Although we didn't break any records, with the ~250lb pilot in the front
seat and me in the back, we still broke free of the grass in less than
150'. I've seen video of this airplane on floats getting off the water
in
about the length of the floats.

Kewl.

Someday I'll get my tailwheel endorsement and a taildragger to go along
with it.

I suppose it's too late to point out that learning to fly from square 1 in
a taildragger is easy, transitioning from a nosewheel to a taildragger
seems to be much more difficult... ;-)

making money william[_2_] Home Built 2 July 19th 07 11:53 PM
On making it difficult for everyone else Frank Whiteley Soaring 35 May 8th 07 05:52 PM
Making Placards Charlie Home Built 13 December 7th 06 03:37 AM
So, can we quit making believe the man can't fly? Marc Ramsey Soaring 10 March 10th 05 06:06 PM
Making a VFR C152 IFR Paul Folbrecht Instrument Flight Rules 48 April 7th 04 04:39 PM