Alaska Crashes Should Serve To Remind All Pilots That Mother Nature Is Always In Char

Old August 15th 10, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Alaska Crashes Should Serve To Remind All Pilots That MotherNature Is Always In Char

On Aug 14, 8:51*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
BACK UP YOUR BULL**** OBSERVATIONS WITH REAL FACTS BESIDES SAYING
"NTSB WEBSITE"?????????

No amount of uppercase text or question and exclamation marks can change this.

IT POINTS OUT THAT YOU TALK OUT OF YOUR ASS.

I ASKED A VERY DIRECT QUESTION. BACK UP YOUR STATEMENTS. SHOW US REAL
ACCIDENTS THAT SUPPORT YOUR POSITION.

YOU CLAIMED YOU WROTE PUBLISHED AVIATION ARTICLES.

OR IS THIS ANOTHER LIE YOU LIVE DAY TO DAY???????? IF SO CLAIMED TO
WRITE PUBLISHED, THEN SURELY YOU CAN ACCEDE TO MY REQUEST AND SHOW US
THE DATA POINTS YOU USED TO SAY.

OR IS THIS ANOTHER LIE YOU LIVE DAY TO DAY???????? LET ME GUESS YOU
WON'T ANSWER MY DIRECT QUESTIONS.

I'm sorry that you seem unwilling to face reality, but there are
lots of real
pilots who are (were) not very good pilots, as the accident
statistics prove.
It's just an observation, and it's an accurate one.

PROVE YOUR ACCURATE OBSERVATION. WITHOUT DATA POINTS PROVING YOUR
POSITION YOU TALK OUT OF YOUR ASS.
Old August 17th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
FlyCherokee

On Aug 14, 11:35*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Another potential problem is that terrain warning systems are designed to keep
you out of harm's way, but for some pilots there might be a tendency to use
them to see how much they can get away with.

I wonder about the same thing with XM in-plane weather (apparently)
showing thunderstorm location in great detail. I could see some
pilots being drawn in too close, based on the data shown on their
screens, and then finding out too late that they are in the bad stuff.

Old August 17th 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

FlyCherokee writes:

I wonder about the same thing with XM in-plane weather (apparently)
showing thunderstorm location in great detail. I could see some
pilots being drawn in too close, based on the data shown on their
screens, and then finding out too late that they are in the bad stuff.

I've read a number of articles that are critical of XM weather for this
reason. I don't know much about XM weather, but from what I understand of it,
I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were a pilot. It sounds like a
convenience rather than a reliable safety-of-life system.

Then again, there are a lot of things that I wouldn't rely on as a pilot that
other pilots seem to take as gospel. Some of the behaviors I see described by
pilots or even illustrated by them on YouTube worry me, assuming that these
people really are licensed pilots.
Old August 17th 10, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Morgans" wrote in message

In this crash I wonder if there was any avionics on board that displays
terrain warnings, even a handhelt PDA type that causes terrain in
conflict to show up red on the display. I would think there would be a
strong desire for Alaska pilots to have a handheld terrain warning or
better, because of the frequency of mountaintops getting obscured with
fog, and the general ruggedness of the terrain they have to deal with on
a day by day basis.

How about everyone on the group? Would you insist on terrain warning if
you flew in Alaska?

No. I didn't have any when I flew there. And, it wouldn't have been of any
significant value - in a Cessna 120 you fly through the passes, not over
the peaks...

Plus, I generally consider what I can see out the window to likely be more
representitive of reality than something that comes out of a computer data
base.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 17th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Mxsmanic wrote:
FlyCherokee writes:

I wonder about the same thing with XM in-plane weather (apparently)
showing thunderstorm location in great detail. I could see some
pilots being drawn in too close, based on the data shown on their
screens, and then finding out too late that they are in the bad stuff.

I've read a number of articles that are critical of XM weather for this
reason. I don't know much about XM weather, but from what I understand of it,
I certainly wouldn't rely on it if I were a pilot. It sounds like a
convenience rather than a reliable safety-of-life system.

It is well known that XM weather is not real time.

No one with any sense uses XM for anything other than general information as
in there is heavy weather to the north.

If you need real time, detailed weather you need real weather radar on board.

If you were a pilot you would know that.

Then again, there are a lot of things that I wouldn't rely on as a pilot that
other pilots seem to take as gospel. Some of the behaviors I see described by
pilots or even illustrated by them on YouTube worry me, assuming that these
people really are licensed pilots.

This is nothing more than your usual gratuitous shot at real pilots.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 18th 10, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

writes:

If you need real time, detailed weather you need real weather radar on board.

If you were a pilot you would know that.

A lot of pilots don't know that.
Old August 18th 10, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Aug 18, 2:09*pm, wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

If you need real time, detailed weather you need real weather radar on board.

If you were a pilot you would know that.

A lot of pilots don't know that.

And you know this how?

He used his inventafact machine.
Imagine weather radar in a C152