Rolling a 172 - or not

Old November 4th 03, 08:06 PM
Scott Lowrey

Default Rolling a 172 - or not

If I'm crusing along at 100 KIAS in a 172 in clear air and I roll left
while maintaining neutral rudder, what will happen if I don't
neutralize the ailerons?

I'm picturing the plane rolling on to its back while losing altitude
and either completing the roll (doubtful) or stalling into a dive and
recovering in the other direction , right side up. (BTW, that's a
split-S, isn't it?)

I wouldn't anticipate a spin unless some serious rudder was cranked in
the direction of the roll.

-Scott "I feel like REALLY flying today" Lowrey
Old November 5th 03, 04:49 PM
Maule Driver

If the elevator is kept neutral, your nose will drop throughout the roll -
no stall. You'll probably be over redline by the finish.

What actually happens as many acro students will attest to (and many dum dum
wanna bes who scare the living bejezus out of themselves) is that upon
approaching inverted and while noting the sudden nose drop, ones natural
response is to pullllllll. That's an inadvertant split S. Very easy and
natural to do. Almost unavoidable for the untrained. Good way to take the
wings off.

That's why instruction is so valuable. Learning to start nose up and push a
bit when you otherwise will want to pull will result in a passable roll of
sorts. A little acro skill may give you what you need to push and roll if
you ever find yourself upside down due to wake turb or something.

It's stupid to do in a 172 though. Same for a snap. My Maule will never
see one while I'm in the seat.

And a hex on CFIs that like to flip it to 'impress' their impressionable
students.

om...

Old November 5th 03, 10:25 PM
Wayne

It's not going to spin unless it's cross controlled, and stalled. Nose
low and excess speed is likely to be the result. Vne and overspeed of the
engine and both bad things. It's like to see that on flight sim.
Wayne

Old November 5th 03, 10:51 PM
Ron Natalie

"Wayne" wrote in message ...
It's not going to spin unless it's cross controlled, and stalled. Nose
low and excess speed is likely to be the result. Vne and overspeed of the
engine and both bad things. It's like to see that on flight sim.

Crosscontrolling is not necessary to instigate a spin (as a matter of fact
many will argue it is less likely).

Old November 6th 03, 04:24 AM
Timothy Oneal

Dont forget that the fuel is gravity fed to the engine. Stay upside down
too long and your gonna lose power.....

Tim

Old November 7th 03, 05:09 AM
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Eclipsme" wrote:

Yes, and oil too!

Harvey

"Timothy Oneal" wrote in message
Dont forget that the fuel is gravity fed to the engine. Stay upside down
too long and your gonna lose power.....

Not if you maintain positive G all the way around (as in aileron roll).
Of course, a 172 handles about like a truck! It would ba similar to
having sex with Roseanne Barr!

Old November 7th 03, 03:00 PM
mike regish

Ewwwwww...

mike regish

newsrfairbairn_spam_sucks-

Old November 8th 03, 12:54 AM
vincent p. norris

Not if you maintain positive G all the way around (as in aileron roll).

You don't have positive G all the way around in an aileron roll.

To maintain positive G, you need a barrel roll.

vince norris