using Ebay to shop for planes

Old September 14th 05, 06:44 PM
Joe

Default using Ebay to shop for planes

I saw something on the news the other day that said Ebay Motors
(specifically the automobiles) gets more visitors than all the major
used car sites COMBINED.

I am thinking about listing my airplane, a C-172 Skyhawk, on Ebay for
that reason. Do you guys think that Ebay is presently a good medium
for re-selling airplanes? Or should I stick to Trade-A-Plane, etc?

comments?

Old September 14th 05, 06:51 PM
Dave Butler

Joe wrote:
I saw something on the news the other day that said Ebay Motors
(specifically the automobiles) gets more visitors than all the major
used car sites COMBINED.

I am thinking about listing my airplane, a C-172 Skyhawk, on Ebay for
that reason. Do you guys think that Ebay is presently a good medium
for re-selling airplanes? Or should I stick to Trade-A-Plane, etc?

comments?

Try to sell it locally first. Put an ad in your local paper, post a notice on
the FBO bulletin board. OTOH, with the outrageous prices some people get for
things on eBay, maybe eBay's not a bad idea.
Old September 14th 05, 07:24 PM
Dave

I used Ebay for advertising. It cost more for a vehicle of course, but for
me it was only about $3.00 per ad.

I used to collect silver coins from Nevada. I created my own website
listing all the coins I had for sale. I would choose one of those coins,
and list it on ebay. In my ad, I set it up to look like my website pages.
There was a link in that page "Click here for more coins". This would take
people to my website where my information was listed and they could purchase
coins.

I got a lot of contacts this way and made a lot of sales on the side. It
probably wouldn't work with just one plane, but if you had a few, it could
send a lot of people your way for just the cost of one ad. Maybe you could
make your reserve price high.

Dave

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 09:07 PM
Steve Foley

I found my plane, but did not buy it through ebay.

I did not like the terms of the sale, so did not bid. After the auction was
over, I emailed the seller and told him I was interested if the original
buyer backed out. He did. He thought he could get 100% financing for a 35
year old plane, like he did for his brand new SUV.

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 09:38 PM
kontiki

Joe wrote:
I saw something on the news the other day that said Ebay Motors
(specifically the automobiles) gets more visitors than all the major
used car sites COMBINED.

I am thinking about listing my airplane, a C-172 Skyhawk, on Ebay for
that reason. Do you guys think that Ebay is presently a good medium
for re-selling airplanes? Or should I stick to Trade-A-Plane, etc?

comments?

I believe that selling things on Ebay (or something like it) is the
way of the future. I would have no qualms about selling my plane on Ebay.
As a previous poster stated, the terms of sale may not be acceptable
and in that case bids might be discouraged, but the ability to reach
such a wide audience is very appealing. Since you write the ad and set
the terms of the sale you are pretty much on your own. Novice buyers
or sellers might be better off going through a broker or one of the
other on-line aircraft sellers (not sure what services they provide)

That being said, I believe there will always be a place for selling
aircraft on Ebay and it will continue to increase in viability over time.

Old September 14th 05, 10:52 PM
John Doe

"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I saw something on the news the other day that said Ebay Motors
(specifically the automobiles) gets more visitors than all the major
used car sites COMBINED.

I am thinking about listing my airplane, a C-172 Skyhawk, on Ebay for
that reason. Do you guys think that Ebay is presently a good medium
for re-selling airplanes? Or should I stick to Trade-A-Plane, etc?

comments?

I've been shopping for a plane all summer and I check ebay every weekend to
see what's posted. Several planes have sold this summer so it is possible.

Be flexible and talk with everyone who's willing to bid. Offer refundable
options after the end of sale but put time limits in place.

Now that you can lower your reserve during the auction, it's a good medium
to negotiate your sale price in front of miliions of people. I would study
all the airplanes currently being listed and take the time to post a
complete ad. Those do much better than someone who basically posts a
classified ad. Post as many pictures of the plane, both interior and
exterior as you possibly can. All those things will help it sell.

There are so many planes for sale right now, you really need to make yours
stand out.

Good luck.

Old September 14th 05, 11:13 PM
John Doe

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
I found my plane, but did not buy it through ebay.

I did not like the terms of the sale, so did not bid. After the auction
was
over, I emailed the seller and told him I was interested if the original
buyer backed out. He did. He thought he could get 100% financing for a 35
year old plane, like he did for his brand new SUV.

Yea, gee, cause they only require 10% down. Sad reason to not buy a plane.

Old September 15th 05, 05:45 AM
Ande

I bought my C150L on ebay..
After months of looking, it turned out that I found one listed on ebay being
sold less than 50 miles away.
(however, if I had not seen it on ebay, I'd never known it was for sell)
Went and looked at it.. Bid high enough, and won the auction.
I too suggest that you advertise on Ebay, and be sure to set the reserve
higher than you actually want to sell the plane for. That way, you may get
'after-auction' offers. (Plus, you can re-run the auction free if it doesn't
meet reserve on the original auction)
"John Doe" wrote in message

oups.com...

Ebay Helicopters Jim Rotorcraft 0 September 29th 04 07:17 AM
Avionics Shop Is Done Nice Sticker In My Log Book Total Costs MRQB Owning 0 April 3rd 04 08:21 AM
New Pilot Shop - need ideas Dave Piloting 18 March 10th 04 10:03 PM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Aviation Marketplace 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM
Airplane Parts on Ebay Vac Reg Valves, Fuel Floats, O-200 Spider, Fuel Injection Valve Bill Berle Owning 0 January 26th 04 08:48 AM