I Want to Fly Military Helicopters!

Old March 13th 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Default I Want to Fly Military Helicopters!

To start off, I am 18 years old and graduating from high school. I am
very strong academically and intellectually, with scores of 1560 and 32
on my SAT and ACT, respectively. Hopefully this means that I am suited
to handle the mental tasks of being a pilot.

As cliché as it is, I have wanted to fly Army Helicopters since I was
a young child. My future is ahead of me, and I hope to fulfill my
dream of flying for the military. My primary questions a What is
the best route to take in order to have the best chance of being
assigned to actually fly the helicopters (enlisted or officer, which
fields to work in, etc.), which branch of the military provides the
best training/most flight time, and what are the dirty, less-appealing
things about helicopter aviation that the recruiters don't tell me?

Any information is appreciated.

Old March 13th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Thomas Ewing wrote:
To start off, I am 18 years old and graduating from high school. I am
very strong academically and intellectually, with scores of 1560 and 32
on my SAT and ACT, respectively. Hopefully this means that I am suited
to handle the mental tasks of being a pilot.

As cliché as it is, I have wanted to fly Army Helicopters since I was
a young child. My future is ahead of me, and I hope to fulfill my
dream of flying for the military. My primary questions a What is
the best route to take in order to have the best chance of being
assigned to actually fly the helicopters (enlisted or officer, which
fields to work in, etc.), which branch of the military provides the
best training/most flight time, and what are the dirty, less-appealing
things about helicopter aviation that the recruiters don't tell me?

Any information is appreciated.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Good Luck
Old March 14th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Generally the Army trains the most pilots for helicopters. They did away
along time ago with enlisted pilots the closest in recent time where the
Aerial Observers. Go to http://www.kiowapilots.com and search the forums
for flight packet. If you really want to fly then do not enlist first!
Sure, you can put in your packet once your in. However, this will take a
longer time and be more frustrating in the long run. Keep the faith in
yourself and good luck.

Scoutdoc,
Rule #3: never get into the cockpit with someone braver than yourself

Old March 15th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Thomas Ewing wrote:
To start off, I am 18 years old and graduating from high school. I am
very strong academically and intellectually, with scores of 1560 and 32
on my SAT and ACT, respectively. Hopefully this means that I am suited
to handle the mental tasks of being a pilot.

As cliché as it is, I have wanted to fly Army Helicopters since I was
a young child.

Any information is appreciated.

Hi Thomas. I read through the answers to your question and they were
very good. I went high school to flight school back in 1972 through the
Warrant Officer route and have never regretted it. I retired in 1995 so
any advice I would give would surely be outdated. But first, find a
flight surgeon near you and pay to have a Class 1 flight physical to
make sure you are ok to fly. After the first class 1 physical you only
have to pass yearly class 2 flight physicals from then on.

You *may* be able to take the physical as a condition of enlistment so
you can walk away if you fail it.

Part of an enlisted Warrant Officer packet is recommendations from
people the Army places confidence in. A chaplain and your congressman
are good. I have been approached quite a few times requesting a
recommendation from me by an Enlisted Soldier who were trying to
complete all the paperwork to attend flight school. I can tell you, it's
a hard lonely road to flight school once you are already in the Army.

My advice is to complete at least a College Associate degree before
applying. You will then have to complete a 4 year degree withing 10
years or so if you want to remain in the Army. But if you just want the
training and all the hours you can get during your 4 or 6 years in the
Army don't worry about any degrees.

There are many jobs out there in the civilian world that you can get
flying helicopters but all start off at low pay but with increases if
you stay with them for years. There is a big turn-over rate in most of
the flying jobs I looked at after retiring.

But the main thing I would advise is get with a recruiter and don't sign
anything. If they can guarantee flight school right now and you plan
only to stay the few years get the recruiter to pay for the flight
physical and go from there. Just make sure it's in writing. Once in the
Army won't negotiate and the Enlisted packet take a long time and is
often not successful.

Wow!!! I just realized I've been out for 11 years. My advice is
certainly old.......

--

boB
Wing 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old April 2nd 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Thomas Ewing wrote:

Any information is appreciated.

I am already in the service with the same goal. You got some good
advice, let me know if you need any current info on how to become a
warrant. You can also try going officer also.
Old April 4th 06, 08:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

John Yasar wrote:
Thomas Ewing wrote:

Any information is appreciated.

I am already in the service with the same goal. You got some good
advice, let me know if you need any current info on how to become a
warrant. You can also try going officer also.

Warrant Officer would be best. Regular Officers, as we called them, only
flew for a few years before they were assigned to non-flying positions.

I wouldn't be a source of current information since I retired in 1995
but talk to a recruiter and see what your options would be. When I
joined the Army back in 1970 I had no idea I could be a pilot. I could
kiss the recruiter for pushing me toward that goal. I flew for 25 years,
it was great.

If the recruiter tells you flight school is an option have him put it in
writing and go for it. You will never regret it.

If you do see a recruiter let us know how it turns out.

--

boB
Wing 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
Old April 4th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

boB wrote:

Warrant Officer would be best. Regular Officers, as we called them, only
flew for a few years before they were assigned to non-flying positions.

Bob you are right, I offered the option just because some people like
the glory of being a line officer, regular officer, whatever you call
them. I agree with you because for the first time in my life I have seen
a O3 quitting her duties (S3) to go warrant. Flying was a passion for
her that she went backwards in the promotion table.

I wouldn't be a source of current information since I retired in 1995
but talk to a recruiter and see what your options would be. When I
joined the Army back in 1970 I had no idea I could be a pilot. I could
kiss the recruiter for pushing me toward that goal. I flew for 25 years,
it was great.

A warants job is TO FLY, FLY, FLY, yes they have some additional duties
such as fire prevention officer, safety officer, but those are side
duties not their job that it prevents them from flying actively.

What types did you fly?

If the recruiter tells you flight school is an option have him put it in
writing and go for it. You will never regret it.

If you do see a recruiter let us know how it turns out.

So much crap those recruiters give to kids when they want to go civilian
to warrant, hard to find one recruiter that would work with you for that
specific route. I always suggest getting in the Army as enlisted and
then applying Warrant as the best route but it has its disadvantages also.
Old April 4th 06, 10:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

Theres a better way! I know where theres an AH1 Cobra for sale for about
800K(US) . I flew it the other day at the Punta Gorda airshow, and its very
nice shape, and a damn blast to fly. The only real problem with it is its
hellfire missiles are the old wooden models and I couldn't get a single one
to leave the tubes.

Bart

Old April 4th 06, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

B4RT wrote:
I couldn't get a single one
to leave the tubes.

What hellfire missile do you have in a *TUBE*? Too bad to hear *you
tried* to get them out of their tubes, what was the intended target?
*chuckles*
Old April 5th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft

John Yasar wrote:
boB wrote:

I wouldn't be a source of current information since I retired in 1995
but talk to a recruiter and see what your options would be. When I
joined the Army back in 1970 I had no idea I could be a pilot. I could
kiss the recruiter for pushing me toward that goal. I flew for 25
years, it was great.

A warants job is TO FLY, FLY, FLY, yes they have some additional duties
such as fire prevention officer, safety officer, but those are side
duties not their job that it prevents them from flying actively.

What types did you fly?

UH-1B,D,H of course, transitioned into OH58A's in 1972 and I love that
aircraft. Even though I transitioned into Cobra's in 1974 I was able to
maintain currency in the scout throughout the 25 years of flying. Flew
OH58C's until 1988 then went to Stuttgart where we trained the unit in
the OH58D's and deployed to Desert Shield/Storm in Dec 1990. These
OH58D's were not Kiowa Warriors, we were unarmed. I did fly most of the
Cobra models as a maintenance test pilot/evaluator. AH-1G, Q (1st TOW
Cobra), S modified, S ECAS, and S Modernized. But the scout was always
the best. I retired in 1995 and went to the Grand Canyon and flew Bell
206's over the Canyon for a season. That's it for helicopters. Flew
some SEL's and a Sprint II Microlight and want to buy an enclosed
gyrocopter if I am able sometime in the future. The medication I take
now would not allow me to fly legally. A sport pilot legal Gyro would
be great.

So much crap those recruiters give to kids when they want to go civilian
to warrant, hard to find one recruiter that would work with you for that
specific route. I always suggest getting in the Army as enlisted and
then applying Warrant as the best route but it has its disadvantages also.

I discourage that because I've written many letters of recommendations
for great crew chiefs, who would make great pilots, (we already taught
them to fly) but watched all the rejections because they were in a
critical shortage MOS. Right now I believe all jobs in the military are
critical and I don't think many Warrant packets will get approved until
it gets better. That may be a long time.

But a person has an advantage as a civilian. The recruiter has a quota
and if he/she won't work with a person to get through the requirements
and guarantee flight school, I say there's another recruiter in the next
town. Don't listen to a recruiter that advises going in first and then
apply, you will be disappointed.

--

boB
Wing 70