Molecular Tech Coatings EMS-2500

Old October 23rd 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Default Molecular Tech Coatings EMS-2500

http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm

They're website is quite impressive, they have a few gallaries of this
stuff being used on Biz Jets and the like, and it (seems to) work
remarkably well.

Any experiences? My "Too good to be true" alarm is going wild, but If
it performs as advertised (and as it appears)... Wow, why would anyone
bother with Acidic strippers anymore?

FWIW, the online reviews I've read reference the original maker of
"STAZ-WETT", so I'm wondering if this is the same product under a new
name.

(This would be for Strip-myself, paint-professionally fantasy I'm
having at the moment)

Old October 24th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Default Molecular Tech Coatings EFS-2500

ARG, the stuff is called EFS-2500, not EMS...

sorry for the type.

Old October 24th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Mike Spera

EridanMan wrote:

http://www.m-tc.com/efs2500_home.htm

They're website is quite impressive, they have a few gallaries of this
stuff being used on Biz Jets and the like, and it (seems to) work
remarkably well.

Any experiences? My "Too good to be true" alarm is going wild, but If
it performs as advertised (and as it appears)... Wow, why would anyone
bother with Acidic strippers anymore?

FWIW, the online reviews I've read reference the original maker of
"STAZ-WETT", so I'm wondering if this is the same product under a new
name.

(This would be for Strip-myself, paint-professionally fantasy I'm
having at the moment)

Well, we ain't seen the cost yet. It may be $150/gal. I'm interested cuz
the next paint job I do on the Cherokee will need a strip. I got away
with a DIY scratch and paint last time. Next time I will definitely take
pictures too.

If you really want to strip it yourself, you will need to do that at the
paint shop for a multitude of reasons. You may be able to get the shop
to let you do the crud work in the back corner to save money. But their
insurance company will likely not allow it.

Good Luck,
Mike
Old October 24th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Jon Woellhaf

I got a "free" sample of it. Only cost me about $50 shipping because I gave
them my FedEx number and they shipped it Next Day.

I haven't tried it yet.

oups.com...

Old October 24th 06, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
Jay Honeck

If you really want to strip it yourself, you will need to do that at the
paint shop for a multitude of reasons.

Our old hangar neighbors stripped their Grumman a couple of years ago,
prior to having it professionally painted. It's a helluva an awful
job, but I didn't notice anything difficult involved. You just gotta
invest the hours.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 24th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Our old hangar neighbors stripped their Grumman a couple of years ago,
prior to having it professionally painted. It's a helluva an awful
job, but I didn't notice anything difficult involved. You just gotta
invest the hours.

Hey Jay... Love your website btw!

Yeah, the 'traditional' ways of stripping an aircraft seem tantamount
to torture... I'll pay someone to do it for me, thank you... The
water-based-gel method seems quite civilized by comparison... in that
'if-its-too-good-to-be-true-I'm-afraid-it-probably-is' kinda way.

Take a look at the website and the example pictures that they offer...
there is a review done by a mustang restoration website linked as
well... Its a prety impressive claim.

-Scott

Old October 24th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
I got a "free" sample of it. Only cost me about $50 shipping because I gave
them my FedEx number and they shipped it Next Day.

Could you keep us informed on your experience with your little test?

Old October 24th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Well, we ain't seen the cost yet. It may be $150/gal. I'm interested cuz
the next paint job I do on the Cherokee will need a strip. I got away
with a DIY scratch and paint last time. Next time I will definitely take
pictures too.

Yeah, I've got an email in to the company for a price quote for 10
gallons of the stuff... It could be gods gift to painting... if its not
cost-competitive, its not worth it.

FWIW, Aircraft Spruce listed STAZ-WETT (which seems to be the same
stuff, or at least, the Review of the EFS stuff lists the STAZ-WETT
website) for 58 bucks a gallon...

580 for a stripped plane, if its as easy as advertised, is worth it...
1500 for the same thing? I'll just pay for a pro to do it, thank you.

If you really want to strip it yourself, you will need to do that at the
paint shop for a multitude of reasons. You may be able to get the shop
to let you do the crud work in the back corner to save money. But their
insurance company will likely not allow it.

Yeah, finding a paint shop who will be willing to paint after I strip
is a pretty big issue... I am NOT equipped (or skilled enough with
paint) to do a satisfactory job.

One of my on-field A&Ps actually does have a painting bay he uses for
touch-up work, but he doesn't offer full painting services... I am
going to talk to him to see if he'd be willing to put on the paint
coats for me for actual labor cost if I do the prep work. That would
have tha added advantage of I wouldn't need to fly her anywhere, and I
could go ahead an mask off the new custom paint scheme I designed.

Its a fun pipe-dream... probably not feasible though.

Old October 27th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.products
EridanMan

Hey Mike,

FWIW, the cost is 60 bucks a gallon... not cheap, but if it works as
advertised, definitely worth it.

I've ordered a gallon, I am going to test it by stripping a small area
of the plane that is in desperate need of touch-up, and based on how
that experience goes I will decide whether or not I'll even consider
doing the full plane in a year or so. I'll report on my experiences
when I have a chance.

-E S Cragg