instruments

Old August 2nd 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default instruments

I just bought a PIK20-D and have to replace the instruments from
metric to English. If anyone has a good used altimeter for sale please
let me know. Also, is a compass required for experimental
registration?

Chris A

Old August 2nd 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Check WWW.segelflug.de classified. They are buying gliders with English
units and converting them to metric so they have foot/Kt. altimeter/airspeed
instruments for sale. Also check Ebay for altimeters.

A compass is not needed in an experimental if the minimum equipment list
doesn't show one. My Nimbus only requires an altimeter and airspeed.
Everything else is optional.

Bill Daniels

oups.com...

Old August 2nd 07, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 2, 8:56 am, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
Check WWW.segelflug.de classified. They are buying gliders with English
units and converting them to metric so they have foot/Kt. altimeter/airspeed
instruments for sale. Also check Ebay for altimeters.

A compass is not needed in an experimental if the minimum equipment list
doesn't show one. My Nimbus only requires an altimeter and airspeed.
Everything else is optional.

Bill Daniels

wrote in message

oups.com...

I just bought a PIK20-D and have to replace the instruments from
metric to English. If anyone has a good used altimeter for sale please
let me know. Also, is a compass required for experimental
registration?

Chris A- Hide quoted text -

Chris,
Also keep in mind that there is no REQUIREMENT to change to english
units. If you're going to fly your PIK exclusively, or nearly so, you
WILL get used to the metric speeds/heights, and instruments aren't
cheap (unlike me).
Jim

Old August 2nd 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

You don't need to change the vario if you remember that 200 FPM ~ 2
knots ~ 1 m/sek.

Old August 2nd 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 2, 10:26 am, wrote:
I just bought a PIK20-D and have to replace the instruments from
metric to English. If anyone has a good used altimeter for sale please
let me know. Also, is a compass required for experimental
registration?

Chris A

i suppose it depends on the operating limitations issued with your
experimental airworthiness certificate. mine say that it must be
equipped in accordance with 91.205 (i think thats the number) so i
must have a compass.

Old August 2nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
nimbusgb

On 2 Aug, 19:03, Chris Reed wrote:
wrote:
Also keep in mind that there is no REQUIREMENT to change to english
units. If you're going to fly your PIK exclusively, or nearly so, you
WILL get used to the metric speeds/heights, and instruments aren't
cheap (unlike me).
Jim

I'd second that - in the UK I fly my Open Cirrus metric, and this
creates no problems at all. The only mental arithmetic is 300m = 1,000
ft (OK, 996 ft), which isn't too taxing. Airspeed is pretty foolproof,
as if you try to fly the circuit as if it were kt (e.g. at 50) you'll
have stalled before you get close to the ground.

I'd think mph/kt confusion could be potentially dangerous, but kph/kt is
a no-brainer.

It all seems to depend on your CofA examiner, some insist that you
convert to imperial, others don't. If you stand on principle and ask
your examiner to show you the relative regs you stand the chance of
ticking alienating him.

I agree that ther is NO regulation to have imperial instruments. The
only spec is that you have a compass, altimeter and ASI. Units are not
specified!

Old August 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 2 Aug, 19:03, Chris Reed wrote:

I'd second that - in the UK I fly my Open Cirrus metric, and this
creates no problems at all.

I'm looking (in the UK) for a metric ASI for my Pirat. PZL preferred.
Can pay cash or swap for imperial ...

Ian

Old August 3rd 07, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Aug 2, 8:26 am, wrote:
I just bought a PIK20-D and have to replace the instruments from
metric to English. If anyone has a good used altimeter for sale please
let me know. Also, is a compass required for experimental
registration?

Chris A

Thanks for all the help,and I got the altimeter too.

Chris A