Vpod on Boeing 747?

Old December 13th 04, 04:08 PM

Default Vpod on Boeing 747?

I just stumbled across a picture on the web of a 747 that has a 5th
engine mounted between the fuselage and inboard left engine, neatly
under the wing. The photo's caption states that it is a Qantas 747
carrying an extra engine for a sister ship. It was referred to as "a
Vpod configuration." I saw the photo on airliners.net, so I figured it
would be genuine.

Is this something Qantas has done, or it this common at all (carrying a
spare engine on the outside of the aircraft for ferrying purposes)?
-ben

Old December 13th 04, 07:02 PM
Jeroen Wenting

It used to be an option airlines could order for their aircraft.
I don't know how many took up that option nor whether it's still being
offered on the -400 series.

oups.com...

Old December 13th 04, 08:18 PM
ShawnD2112

I know British Airways used to use them. They're called "5th pods" and are
used just to deadhead a spare engine someplace. Pylon kit attaches to
hardpoints under the wing and the engine isn't running (don't know if that
was obvious from the discussion or not:-) )

Shawn

oups.com...

Old December 14th 04, 10:45 PM
FLYWITHJAY

The Fifth Pod was used to ferry spare engines either over long distances to
where replacement engines couldn't be located for sister ships that needed
them.

TWA used them a bit before 74s retired. Good for getting engines overseas.
Old December 16th 04, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'd like to see one of these in
person sometime. It almost looks like the front of the engine is just
covered in some kind of plastic, and would seem to be a huge drag on
the rest of the airframe. Not quite as much as flying with a Space
Shuttle onboard, but still draggy.

Thanks again!

-ben

Old December 16th 04, 05:46 PM
Jim Knoyle

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'd like to see one of these in
person sometime. It almost looks like the front of the engine is just
covered in some kind of plastic, and would seem to be a huge drag on
the rest of the airframe. Not quite as much as flying with a Space
Shuttle onboard, but still draggy.

You are correct. The engine is inside of a specially designed fairing.
After (or during) installation, a special mach warning switch is installed
or switched in. There is a similar fourth pod arrangement for DC-10.
Our experienced fifth pod crew could hang or remove a fifth pod at
the terminal gate within an hour (IIRC) and the switch, about the size
of a coke can, only took me about fifteen min. to replace. (Info for
Tarver: That includes leak testing the pitot probe. :-))

JK