"normal" procedure for pop-up filing

Old May 28th 05, 08:30 AM
Chris

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...

"Chris" wrote in message

Another question then: I am planning to fly from PVD Providence RI to
Madison MSN on 24/25th July. The backend on the route was to be MKG
(Muskegon), BAE (Badger) and MSN. Is it likely then that I will not get
cleared IFR through to MSN and if wanted to follow that route would be
best to cancel IFR and go VFR weather permitting even getting a pop up
clearance at MSN to descend through cloud?

There's no problem at all with that route. It takes you through Milwaukee
approach, not Chicago approach. MKG.V2.SUDDS is a standard arrival route
so you're going with the flow.

With the 24/25th being days people are going to OSH I was wondering whether
that would have any influence.

Old May 29th 05, 06:54 AM
Roger

On Sat, 28 May 2005 08:30:41 +0100, "Chris"
wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"Chris" wrote in message

Another question then: I am planning to fly from PVD Providence RI to
Madison MSN on 24/25th July. The backend on the route was to be MKG
(Muskegon), BAE (Badger) and MSN. Is it likely then that I will not get
cleared IFR through to MSN and if wanted to follow that route would be
best to cancel IFR and go VFR weather permitting even getting a pop up
clearance at MSN to descend through cloud?

There's no problem at all with that route. It takes you through Milwaukee
approach, not Chicago approach. MKG.V2.SUDDS is a standard arrival route
so you're going with the flow.

There is with the "pop up" though if you want to use it to file for a
descent into OSH during the flyin. I think the limit last year was
150 miles out for a pop up.

Get a copy of the NOTAMs for the fly-in if that is where you are
headed. It's a whole different ball game starting 3 days prior to the
start of the fly-in.

I used to file and go in IFR, but I understand they have you join the
VFR traffic if the weather is good.

BTW, I cross the lake to the north of MSN and always get Minneapolis
who hands me off to Chicago with the approach at OSH being under
Chicago's control. OTOH I'm between Milwaukee and Green Bay when I
cross the shore line.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 29th 05, 08:40 AM
Chris

wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
thlink.net...

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

I am not going to OSH, just making my way from IAG to MSN and was wanting to
make sure that the routing would not be affected by OSH bound traffic.

Old May 29th 05, 05:32 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Chris" wrote in message

With the 24/25th being days people are going to OSH I was wondering
whether that would have any influence.

Not in Milwaukee approach airspace. There'll be more traffic for ATC to
deal with, but not a lot more. The IFR routes to OSH don't go through
Milwaukee or Chicago approach, they go around them. The OSH bound traffic
that Milwaukee approach has to deal with originates in Chicago approach or
Milwaukee approach itself. EAA traffic has more impact on the MKG and MSN
TRACONs than Milwaukee.

Old May 29th 05, 05:35 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roger" wrote in message

There is with the "pop up" though if you want to use it to file for a
descent into OSH during the flyin. I think the limit last year was
150 miles out for a pop up.

He's not going to OSH.

Old May 29th 05, 05:52 PM
Chris

wrote:

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

"Chris" wrote in message

[...]

Dumb me, got the notam

Old June 4th 05, 11:17 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Antoņio" wrote in message
oups.com...

Ah yes. I see that is your assertion below. I did not know this and
see now that you clarify your statements *below*.

Where is *below*?

However, I did notice you have no CFR14 or 7110 quote for us. How come?

Because it isn't mentioned there.

You are correct...I don't use DUATs.

I didn't think so.

Oh, I have no doubts that you think so.

I don't think so, I know so.

Perhaps one with such a perfect knowledge might understand why us
"lesser souls" would need clarification (or proof) at times?

What do you feel needs clarifying? Why would you need proof?

I resent you calling me a "native"...

Why? Have you no origin?

Old June 16th 05, 05:49 PM
xyzzy

Jose wrote:

Happens less now. I generally file IFR unless there is a specific
reason to file VFR beyond CAVU. Why give up the extra eyes for
traffic,extra traffic separation standards, airspace management (MOA,
prohibited, restricteed obstacle avoidance), and TFR avoidance
services unless there is a clear advantage to not filing.

Time, range, and convetion. VFR you can usually go direct. IFR you get
routed around willy nilly so you use more gas and time, and require
reserves to an alternate plus forty five minutes after a non-direct
flight. Sometimes this makes a one leg flight into two legs, and the
VFR option is better (even from a safety POV).

In my limited experience I've had the opposite experience flying into a
class B. I was once with a flight of several airplanes on a CAVU day,
they all filed IFR and i went VFR. I took off first and landed last at
the destination (all planes the same type, so no speed differences).
Once I got near the busy area, I had to wait outside the class B until
they had time for me, while my IFR peers went right in. Once into the
class B I got a lot more circuitous vectoring than my IFR peers. They
basically tried to keep me as far away as they could for as long as
possible because they were busy with IFR traffic.

Old June 16th 05, 06:43 PM
Jose

In my limited experience I've had the opposite experience flying into a class B.

Ok, but flying =into= a class B is different. The final portion being
IFR will help you. But getting to that place, IFR can lead to
roundabouts. This is especially true if you are going near or past a
class B that could otherwise be underflown. VFR you duck under, IFR you
get routed around.

At least that's my experience in the Northeast.

Jose

--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain."
Old June 24th 05, 08:51 PM
Tina Marie

Maule Driver wrote:
Happens less now. I generally file IFR unless there is a specific
reason to file VFR beyond CAVU. Why give up the extra eyes for

I've started filing an IFR flight plan for any flight that isn't
100% CAVU. I don't always pick it up, but I try to always have it
on file in case I want to. If the weather's going down, my workload
will be high enough without adding "filing IFR" to it.

The only issue I've had was coming out of AUS the other day - I'd
filed IFR before I left Houston, and when I was ready to leave AUS,
I called up clearance on the ground. As soon as they heard my
tail number, they went into IFR clearance mode, read me the whole thing,
then I had to say, "Well, actually, I just want to go home VFR".

He seemed confused, but we eventually got it straightened out.

Tina Marie