Cobra trailer tail skids

Old February 25th 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Cobra trailer tail skids

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 1:31:36 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 6:28:29 PM UTC-5, BobWa43 wrote:
Has anyone installed the Cobra trailer skids sold by Wings and Wheels? Any info on how to properly place the threaded backing plates is appreciated.

J7's suggestion is execellent. Mission 1 is do not load the rear trailer skids at all. Also consider adding a spacer between the trailer floor and the axle. I have seen both 1" and 2" used.

I've also seen dropped hitch inserts "made" to drag the ground first hoping to keep weight off the trailer skids. "drag tabs" were welded in front of the ball nut to protect the threads on the ball.

Cobra sells the lift kits, I believe in 25mm and 50mm heights. Installed a 50mm on a long trailer and had a home made 2" lift kit on an older normal length trailer.
Dropping the tow ball comes with potential problems. Hitting the trailer tongue skid on the ground transfers a lot of energy onto the tongue.
Jim
Old February 26th 20, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

One size larger tires did it for me. I don't want to drag at either end of the trailer.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old February 27th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a torsion flex hitch on my motor home that flexes to protect the hitch and trailer combo. It might be helpful to flex a little when the trailer tail rubs in and out of the gas stations.

https://genyhitch.com/product-catego...-torsion-flex/