S&V variometers?

Old January 2nd 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default S&V variometers?

What are the 2 types of varios shown in this:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/ls1-barcelonette.jpg

What do the V & S stand for?

Old January 2nd 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Those appear to be two displays of a 3 set combo.. what is missing is the
"I"

They are controlled by an efa 1/3 system manufactured by Blumenauer,
"V"ariometer, "I"nterverometer" and "S"peed to Fly.. the control box is the
dark box with two rheostats on the face below the "V"

Consider the "intervromenter" the Averager. On the control box, the two
rheostats, left is power and speaker volume, the right is the sensitivity,
the switch above the volume selects the audio from the vario or the speed to
fly, and the switch to the upper right selects "wet or dry", at the 3o'clock
position is the McCready setting selector.

We have this system in our LS-4 and it works great.
BT

ups.com...

Old January 2nd 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

He is flying in 2m/s of sink.
It appears that the Speed to fly display is telling him to slow down.
Is the S meter pointing down telling him to speed up or down, I would
expect a speed up command but slow down appears to be shown.

Old January 2nd 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 04:42 02 January 2006, Chris wrote:

What are the 2 types of varios shown in this:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/ls1-barcelonette.jpg

What do the V & S stand for?

They are both displays for the Blumenauer. V is the
Vario, and S is the Speed director. The instrument
can also drive a 30-second averager (labeled 'I').
The main instument is in the lower left of the photo.

My 1981 LS-4 had one installed at the factory. I think
the ship's still flying with it.

9B

Old January 2nd 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

At 17:12 02 January 2006, Chris wrote:
He is flying in 2m/s of sink.
It appears that the Speed to fly display is telling
him to slow down.
Is the S meter pointing down telling him to speed up
or down, I would
expect a speed up command but slow down appears to
be shown.

Down needle = push on stick.

9B

Old January 2nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

needle down.. push the nose down..
needle up.. pull the nose up..
same idea for the vario..
in climbing air.. slow down or pull the nose up..
same indication for both displays..

the idea is to get the speed to fly indicator on the zero line..
but don't chase it to far.. it will slow you below stall and speed you up
above Vne
BT

oups.com...

Old January 5th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

chris a écrit:
What are the 2 types of varios shown in this:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/Data/ls1-barcelonette.jpg

What do the V & S stand for?

We had exactly the same vario on one of our LS1f. As this is German
hardware, V is for Vario, ans S is for Sollfahrt.
While thermalling, the left dial is vario, the right one is averager.
In transition, the right dial is netto vario, the right one is flight
director.

This is a very good electric vario to fly with!