Question about flight following / weather updates from Flight Watch

Old December 11th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Question about flight following / weather updates from Flight Watch

When I fly cross-country VFR, I like to get flight following. It's very
nice to get the warnings about possible conflicting traffic.

When I do this and I'm talking to controllers, I obviously need to stay
on the frequency to acknowledge anything they say.

If I want to talk to Flight Watch to get an update on the developing
weather situation or give a PIREP, how do I do that? Do I need to
terminate the radar service with Approach, talk to Flight Watch, then
contact Approach again for further radar service, or is there an easier
way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Tom

Old December 12th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

wrote:

If I want to talk to Flight Watch to get an update on the developing
weather situation or give a PIREP, how do I do that? Do I need to
terminate the radar service with Approach, talk to Flight Watch, then
contact Approach again for further radar service, or is there an easier
way to accomplish this?

Request a frequency change of the controller to contact flight watch for
weather. If the controller is going to be handling you for awhile, s/he
will typically approve the frequency change.

Sometimes you might receive a limit from the controller, for example,
"Cessna 1234, frequency change approved, report back within five minutes."
This is often due to the fact that you are about to be handed off to the
next facility.

If that limit is acceptable to you (you think you can contact FW/FSS and
get the type of weather update you need), take it. Otherwise tell the
controller you will wait until after being handed off.

At the handoff, include the request when you check in, for example, "Cessna
1234, level 6,500 VFR, requesting a frequency change to contact flight
watch."

--
Peter
Old December 12th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Default Question about flight following / weather updates from Fligh****ch

If I want to talk to Flight Watch to get an update on the developing
weather situation or give a PIREP, how do I do that? Do I need to
terminate the radar service with Approach, talk to Flight Watch, then
contact Approach again for further radar service, or is there an easier
way to accomplish this?

Just ask for a temorary frequency change to flight watch. They will
most likely grant it and say to report back. IN the rare event you call
just as they are about to transfer you to another controller, they may
ask you to wait for the transfer, or tell you to report on the new
frequency.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 12th 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

use your #2 radio for flight watch, and maintain a listening watch on both
radios
either that or ask ATC permission to leave the freq for a few minutes to
contact weather

BT

ups.com...

Old December 12th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike Adams[_2_]

"BT" wrote:

use your #2 radio for flight watch, and maintain a listening watch on
both radios

Also, some audio panels support a split mode where each person (left and right seats) can monitor a
different radio. I find trying to talk on one radio and listen to both is too confusing, but my wife has
become comfortable enough to listen for our call sign on the flight following frequency while I go over to
flight watch on the other radio.

Mike
Old December 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:

Just ask for a temorary frequency change to flight watch. They will
most likely grant it and say to report back. IN the rare event you call
just as they are about to transfer you to another controller, they may
ask you to wait for the transfer, or tell you to report on the new
frequency.

And for extra fun, go to the AOPA website and take the simple video
course they have for making PIREPS of your own. I did this several
times on my last flights, and FW expressed much gratitude for the extra
information.

However, I only did this out in the middle of nowhere, where I was
pretty sure I wouldn't have a time problem. I'm still a really new
pilot, and give myself all the breaks I can muster.

Old December 12th 06, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

Mike Adams wrote:

Also, some audio panels support a split mode where each person (left and
right seats) can monitor a different radio.

This is such an amazingly useful feature that I would never buy an audio
panel that didn't have it. Your crew can be talking to flight service,
getting the ATIS at your destination, etc, etc, without distracting you
from flying the plane and talking to ATC.
Old December 13th 06, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Aluckyguess

"Roy Smith" wrote in message
Mike Adams wrote:

Also, some audio panels support a split mode where each person (left and
right seats) can monitor a different radio.

I did this in a King air I flew right seat in. It was pretty cool.