Radar contact before squawk

Old March 22nd 04, 04:56 AM
David Brooks

Default Radar contact before squawk

I learned something Friday night while getting in some night solo time. I
called Whidbey Approach for a few minutes of flight following and possibly
clipping their Class C, and the controller annonced radar contact, and then
issued a squawk. I hadn't given my position (I wasn't too sure where I was
anyway :-) ). He apparently didn't find it necessary to talk to me after I
popped up with the discrete code.

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was no
ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard procedure to
announce radar contact to an untagged target?

-- David Brooks

Old March 22nd 04, 05:31 AM
Brad Z

I've gotten that as well, usually when I've provided a specific location and
altitude during quiet periods were there is no ambiguity. Usually they'll
say "radar contact, standby for squawk code" while they enter me into the
system for a flight following.

The fact that you didn't provide a position at all is interesting, but
perhaps there was no other VFR traffic in his sector. Were you flying at
4am or something? If its a rental, maybe he recognized the "N" number to be
associated with a particular departure airport. Or maybe he's psychic.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:52 AM
David Brooks

"Brad Z" wrote in message
I've gotten that as well, usually when I've provided a specific location

and
altitude during quiet periods were there is no ambiguity. Usually they'll
say "radar contact, standby for squawk code" while they enter me into the
system for a flight following.

The fact that you didn't provide a position at all is interesting, but
perhaps there was no other VFR traffic in his sector. Were you flying at
4am or something? If its a rental, maybe he recognized the "N" number to

be
associated with a particular departure airport. Or maybe he's psychic.get

in

Whidbey Appoach airspace is comparatively small, and I wasn't kidding that I
was almost certainly the only VFR target around, although it was 8pm on a
clear Friday. Nobody but me and an IFR practice were talking to him anyway.
It's a rental so you're right, he could have known where I was heading from.
50% of the time it's a trainee behind the mike, so I may have jumped to an
unfair conclusion...

Old March 22nd 04, 06:05 AM
Greg Esres

Still, question for the controllers, is it standard procedure to
announce radar contact to an untagged target?

Happens occasionally with our flight school's airplanes. They
obviously recognize the tail number and know where we are.

It's a bit annoying, actually, since I have normally prepared the
student for a different sequence of dialog and it really throws them
off.

Old March 22nd 04, 04:48 PM
Peter R.

David Brooks ) wrote:

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was no
ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard procedure to
announce radar contact to an untagged target?

I get this a lot when returning into Syracuse, NY (KSYR) class C airspace.
I still include my position report when replying to the squawk code, just
to be redundant.

--
Peter

Old March 22nd 04, 05:41 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

I learned something Friday night while getting in some night solo time. I
called Whidbey Approach for a few minutes of flight following and
possibly clipping their Class C, and the controller annonced radar
contact, and then issued a squawk. I hadn't given my position (I wasn't
too sure where I was anyway :-) ). He apparently didn't find it necessary
to talk to me after I popped up with the discrete code.

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was
no ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard

procedure
to announce radar contact to an untagged target?

No. He was guessing. It may have been a good guess, but that's not proper
radar identification.

Old March 22nd 04, 05:47 PM
David Brooks

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
nk.net...

"David Brooks" wrote in message

I was probably the only VFR target in his entire airspace, so there was
no ambiguity. Still, question for the controllers, is it standard

procedure
to announce radar contact to an untagged target?

No. He was guessing. It may have been a good guess, but that's not

proper
radar identification.

It's probably a good thing Bud Turner is no longer (a) at KNUW (b)
apparently online. He might have felt it his duty to go stop a practice that
seems to work fine :-)

-- David Brooks

Old March 22nd 04, 06:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"David Brooks" wrote in message

It's probably a good thing Bud Turner is no longer (a) at KNUW (b)
apparently online. He might have felt it his duty to go stop a practice

that
seems to work fine :-)

It'll work fine until the day an aircraft calls that isn't being painted and
there's one that is being painted but hasn't called. There's a reason it
isn't proper radar identification.