Cobra Trailer Top Adjustment Advice Needed

Old June 29th 08, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Cobra Trailer Top Adjustment Advice Needed

Can anyone recommend a simple, effective method for removing outward
horizontal bulges in the top rail of Cobra trailers?

I have a 1983 Cobra with an aluminum top, which has its lift struts on
the outside. Over the years an outward horizontal bulge has developed
at each lift strut attach point on the top rail, and it has become a
challenge to close the top the last few inches.

Simple sideways pushing accomplishes nothing. I’ve thought of putting
a 2x4 on the side and hitting on the wood with a sledgehammer, but
this wouldn’t get the force at the bend point. I’ve also thought about
using a come-along between the two lift strut arms where they attach,
but haven’t come up with a way to attach the cables without damage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions…

-John
Old June 29th 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Jun 29, 7:12 am, jcarlyle wrote:
Can anyone recommend a simple, effective method for removing outward
horizontal bulges in the top rail of Cobra trailers?

I have a 1983 Cobra with an aluminum top, which has its lift struts on
the outside. Over the years an outward horizontal bulge has developed
at each lift strut attach point on the top rail, and it has become a
challenge to close the top the last few inches.

Simple sideways pushing accomplishes nothing. I’ve thought of putting
a 2x4 on the side and hitting on the wood with a sledgehammer, but
this wouldn’t get the force at the bend point. I’ve also thought about
using a come-along between the two lift strut arms where they attach,
but haven’t come up with a way to attach the cables without damage.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions…

-John

John, instead of a come along, try using a bar clamp. Buy the type
that you mount on your own galvanized pipe so you can get the span you
need. Use more than one if the area is large. Remove the struts and
place short pieces of 2 x 4 in between the clamp's jaws and your
trailer top. You will probably need to bend past the straight-line
point, so it can "bow" back straight(ish). You may consider installing
some aluminum flatbar lengthwise over the weakened area to keep it in
shape. Good luck!

-Paul

Old June 29th 08, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 29, 8:12*am, jcarlyle wrote:
Can anyone recommend a simple, effective method for removing outward
horizontal bulges in the top rail of Cobra trailers?

I had a trailer of that vintage and sometime around 1990 I got a
repair kit from Spindelberger.

It consisted of a couple of aluminum bars perhaps a foot long that
were bent to fit inside the trailer and stiffen the bow near the lift
struts. I used a come along to squeeze the trailer lid to a specified
width, then drilled and installed the stiffeners on the inside. That
did the trick to straighten the sides.

So, contact Spindelberger and get the repair kit.

-Tom
Old June 30th 08, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks, Paul and Tom, for your replies.

Paul, I like your approach. The only thing I might do differently is
to brace the top with 2x4s from side to side just outside of the
bulged area, so squeezing at the lift strut attachment area has places
to react against. I'll give this a shot as my first step.

Tom, I wasn't aware that there was a repair kit thanks! I'll
definitely write to Spindelberger and get details, although I'm leary
that the worthless dollar will make it very expensive to buy and ship.
Formed reinforcements would definitely be a long term solution to
deformation. One question - did the bars mount fore and aft, or did
they go from rail to rail?

-John

On Jun 29, 10:30 am, sisu1a wrote:
John, instead of a come along, try using a bar clamp. Buy the type
that you mount on your own galvanized pipe so you can get the span you
need. Use more than one if the area is large. Remove the struts and
place short pieces of 2 x 4 in between the clamp's jaws and your
trailer top. You will probably need to bend past the straight-line
point, so it can "bow" back straight(ish). You may consider installing
some aluminum flatbar lengthwise over the weakened area to keep it in
shape. Good luck!

-Paul

Cobra Trailer fender needed! [email protected] Soaring 1 April 28th 08 01:56 PM
Cobra Trailer [email protected] Soaring 22 December 7th 06 11:38 PM
Cobra Trailer Question Deputy Dog Soaring 7 January 3rd 04 03:11 PM
Cobra Trailer Soaring 1 September 28th 03 01:14 PM
FS: Cobra Trailer Ed Byars Soaring 0 September 22nd 03 04:47 PM