where in the usa can gliders be flown year round

Old May 4th 20, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clemens Ceipek

Default where in the usa can gliders be flown year round

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 2:30:56 PM UTC-6, ASM wrote:
Any idea where?

Boulder, Colorado
Old May 4th 20, 07:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Central/Northern California:Hollister, Byron, Williams, Avenal.
300-500km are common every month in the “off season”. Check OLC.

Ramy
Old May 4th 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8

Tucson Soaring Club
Old May 4th 20, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 3:30:56 PM UTC-5, ASM wrote:
Any idea where?

Soaring year-round at Marfa in southwest Texas and at many sites in the "sun belt" states plus several more sites east and west, generally north of the 40th parallel (Baseline Road in Boulder, CO.)

I laugh when I read that the "soaring season" begins in April and ends in October in the USA without considering our sun belt states from California to Florida where we are soaring through the winter months.
The best soaring in Florida is in the late winter - early spring - that's why the "Seniors" is then.

Practice soaring on the weak days. I fly sailplanes in Europe every other summer or fall and on marginal days I see pilots launch to team-fly cross-country tasks. No wonder those pilots score well in the World Championships..

When I was a kid flying a 1-26 and later our Open class Cirrus, my Dad would insist that I deploy spoilers to descend directly over our family gliderport in South Miami to 1,000' AGL and practice "saves" or land for another tow to continue the exercise. Climbing in booming thermals is relatively easy. Patiently bracketing zero-sink into 2 knots lift would eventually save me and the sailplane on many flights.

Old May 4th 20, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote on 5/4/2020 7:55 AM:
[...]

I don't need to purposely create practice saves, as I seem to encounter plenty of
real ones during my normal flying. Flying a motorglider makes "save" situations
likely than it was with a towed glider, but fortunately it also provides the
remedy for failed "save".

Old May 5th 20, 02:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Longley

Arlington, WA
Old May 7th 20, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Warner Springs California is open year around. Nice mix of thermals, ridge, convergence, and wave flying depending on the season.
Old May 7th 20, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Dillingham Field In Hawaii
I recently read somewhere that the state is tryin to close it thou.
I've never flown there, but I bet its nice and warm.
And lots of other things to do when your not aviating.