Updated Florida Spring Forecast

Old January 1st 21, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Updated Florida Spring Forecast

Things are finally looking better for a spring Florida soaring season. As of today I am glad to announce that the surface water and the air is dryer that it was last year at the same time. Last year December was a disaster because of torrential downpours. This year, we are still way above yearly rainfall things are finally looking optimistic for the near future.
Strong winds and dryer air are having an impact on the humidity and precipitation. Not to say that we can look forward to the conditions of several years past, but we are definitely improving.
The next 4 to 6 weeks will make the difference between so so and good conditions. Hopefully we can all stay clear of COVID and come to Florida for some good winter soaring. We invite you to Vero Beach to enjoy the beta soaring in the state combined with beautiful beaches, great shopping and classy restaurants. Bob
Old January 2nd 21, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Whats a resturant?
Old January 2nd 21, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, January 2, 2021 at 4:20:03 PM UTC-5, Soartech wrote:
Whats a resturant?

Almost like a restaurant but limited menu.
Old January 3rd 21, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Yes, good soaring in the Florida spring and good restaurants, most with outside dining.
I was in South Florida and the Keys cruising highway A1A last week
listening to Jimmy Buffett's "Banana Wind" CD, one of his best.

Some of my favorite restaurants where we dined, south from Key West north to Palm Beach:
Sunset Pier in Key West. (Shrimp flatbread while watching for the green flash at sunset.)
Bayside Grille in Key Largo. (Lobster tacos.)
Sea Siam Thai, in my old neighborhood of South Miami (Shrimp Pad Thai.)
Sky Thai on Las Olas Boulevard in Fort Lauderdale (Lobster Pad Thai.)
Hooters on the Ocean along the A1A strip where I spent summers in my youth.
Quarterdeck Cafe in Fort Lauderdale (Lobster burger.)
Dune Deck Cafe on the beach in Lantana (Lobster omelette.)
Benny's On The Beach in South Palm Beach (Lobster bagels.)
The Seafood Bar Restaurant in the historic Breakers Hotel on Palm Beach.
(This would be the "classy" place. Fabulous seafood linguini.)
All but 3 of the above were on the water.
Stay off I-95. Just follow highway A1A.

The Atlantic Seabreeze Front formed up midday and moved inland to converge with the
Gulf of Mexico Seabreeze Front in the middle of the Florida peninsula.
Long cloud streets offshore over the warm water of the Atlantic Gulfstream in the evening.
Another long cloud street formed over the narrow Florida Keys
which was always tempting to me to fly my Open Cirrus
from our Compton Ranch Gliderport in South Miami, southwest to Marathon Key,
and local Keys gent Chris Schraeder can confirm if you doubt the possibility!
I didn't get north up A1A to see Bob Youngblood near Vero Beach this trip, but I can assure you
it is worth a visit to Florida for some interesting soaring.
Yes the cloudbases in the cloudstreets can be a bit low but nearly every cu has a thermal.
Just follow the hawks, eagles, osprey and woodstorks!

Old January 3rd 21, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, January 3, 2021 at 10:34:02 AM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas wrote:
[...]

Burt great to see that you were in the great state of South Florida, listening to Jimmy Buffett and enjoying the fine dining. Went fishing yesterday and caught a big Wahoo and let me tell you that it is delicious. Even the rum was flowing and the weather was great, near 80 in the days and a cool 70 at night.
Wish that we could still fly from the old Compton Ranch, most of these newbies don't have a clue, Rich up at Seminole is still trying to figure out how to fly a triangle. Only wish they could have been there in the good ole days. I still speak with SC, Scotty almost daily and we always talk about the old Miami days. Take care Burt, Bob and Eileen
Old January 7th 21, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 31, 2020 at 7:11:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Soaring Safari will be held at the TCSC during March of this year and we look forward to seeing many of our glider friends and pilots once again flying deep into the Everglades and beyond. This year the plan is to complete the challenge of the Big O, a triangle navigation around Lake Okeechobee. Flying along the east coast with a stunning view of those turquoise waters along the coast then heading through no mans land toward Immokalee and then the final glide home from Okeechobee. Heading home following that stunning sea breeze that is a real South Florida treat.
The ground is becoming dryer, just yesterday I noticed a couple of burning areas in the dryer areas more inland, things are looking much better with this cooler and dryer air. Bob