Who has priority on a taxiway?

Old November 29th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

Default Who has priority on a taxiway?

OK, perhaps I had my head up my... errr, you know. Perhaps the other guy
could have made a better radio call. Anyhow...

I landed at a very quiet uncontrolled field a few weeks ago. As I taxied
back on the taxiway for my departure, I kept hearing a helicopter calling out
pattern legs for a place called "tango". As I recall, he never mentioned the
name of the field, or used the word "taxiway" in his radio call, so I assumed
that he was just practicing at some nearby pad. (My error, when in doubt...) It
wasn't until I had taken off that I realized that I had been using taxiway T. I
probably seriously ****ed the guy off, and/or risked having a helicopter land on
top of me.

Lesson learned!

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface traffic or
landing traffic?

Vaughn

--
Will poofread for food.

Old November 29th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rajat Garg Rajat Garg is offline
Banned

Landing traffic will usually have the priority over anything else even
take off traffic

~r
http://www.pilotoutlook.com

Old November 29th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Vaughn Simon wrote:

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface traffic or
landing traffic?

Vaughn

Helicopters must avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic at all times.

Dave
Old November 29th 07, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Rajat Garg" wrote in message
Landing traffic will usually have the priority over anything else even
take off traffic

On a taxiway? How about on the parking ramp?

Vaughn

Old November 29th 07, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

On Nov 29, 12:11 am, Dave S wrote:
Vaughn Simon wrote:

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface traffic or
landing traffic?

Vaughn

Helicopters must avoid the flow of fixed wing traffic at all times.

Dave

Roger that, Dave - The choppers at our field use a right hand pattern
and are careful not to cause hiccups with fixed wing craft who cannot
maneuver like they do...
VAughn, unless the chopper declares he has to land on the taxiway
right now, you just continue on down the taxiway.....

However, at our field the choppers have been told they WILL use the
runway for all takeoff and landing movements and then hover taxi to
their hangar - NO direct takeoff from taxiways and ramps, period!
Even the police and ambulance choppers obey the rule...

denny
Old November 29th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in message

OK, perhaps I had my head up my... errr, you know. Perhaps the other
guy could have made a better radio call. Anyhow...

I landed at a very quiet uncontrolled field a few weeks ago. As I
taxied back on the taxiway for my departure, I kept hearing a helicopter
calling out pattern legs for a place called "tango". As I recall, he
never mentioned the name of the field, or used the word "taxiway" in his
radio call, so I assumed that he was just practicing at some nearby pad.
(My error, when in doubt...) It wasn't until I had taken off that I
realized that I had been using taxiway T. I probably seriously ****ed the
guy off, and/or risked having a helicopter land on top of me.

Lesson learned!

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface traffic
or landing traffic?

I don't believe I've ever seen or heard anything either way, I don't think
it needs to be. It's called a "taxiway" for a reason.

Old November 29th 07, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

I don't believe I've ever seen or heard anything either way, I don't think
it needs to be. It's called a "taxiway" for a reason.

We've got a few airports around that have the designated helipad marked
out on the taxiway. If you saw they guy attempting to land you should
give way. Otherwise, he needs to similarly deal with people taxiing.
The operative rule is don't run into anybody.
Old November 29th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

We've got a few airports around that have the designated helipad marked
out on the taxiway.

That's a different situation.

Old November 29th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Vaughn Simon wrote:
OK, perhaps I had my head up my... errr, you know. Perhaps the
other guy could have made a better radio call. Anyhow...

I landed at a very quiet uncontrolled field a few weeks ago. As I
taxied back on the taxiway for my departure, I kept hearing a
helicopter calling out pattern legs for a place called "tango". As I
recall, he never mentioned the name of the field, or used the word
"taxiway" in his radio call, so I assumed that he was just practicing
at some nearby pad. (My error, when in doubt...) It wasn't until I
had taken off that I realized that I had been using taxiway T. I
probably seriously ****ed the guy off, and/or risked having a
helicopter land on top of me.
Lesson learned!

So now the question. Who has priority on a taxiway? Surface
traffic or landing traffic?

Vaughn

You shouldn't feel you ****ed him off you in a stuck-wing have the
right-of-way over the helicopter just about everywhere.

Old November 29th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Vaughn Simon" wrote in
:

[...]

AFAIK, when helis are using taxiways, they are taxiing. They are supposed
to use the runway for takeoff and londing ops and the taxiwas to get where
they want to on the field after that. I'm only going by what I've observed,
but they always seem to defer to other traffic when doing so as well.
Aside form the legalities, it makes sense. They're basicaly big, barely
controlled chainsaws and it's simply impracitacal to mix them in with fixed
wing traffic any other way.

Bertie

A Different Kind of Taxiway J.F. Aviation Photos 16 October 14th 07 10:37 AM
Steering on the taxiway Mxsmanic Piloting 127 November 29th 06 01:12 AM
Oshkosh Taxiway Incident M Home Built 0 July 31st 06 04:25 AM
Add on's jumping on taxiway in FS9 Dudley Henriques Simulators 2 February 28th 04 05:10 PM
Taxiway Signs Dennis Wyman Simulators 4 January 1st 04 10:56 PM