SN10 USB connection

Old April 13th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default SN10 USB connection

Is it possible to use a USB SD card reader with the new SN10 USB
port? Apparently, Winscore prefers SD-type media over USB thumbdrives
when it comes to fast downloading of .igc files, so in the interest of
keeping contest scorers happy, inquiring minds want to know.

Of course, I could just go out to the glider and try it, but that
can't happen till this weekend...

Woohoo, contest season is firing up!

Kirk
66
Old April 13th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 13, 9:58*am, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Is it possible to use a USB SD card reader with the new SN10 USB
port? *Apparently, Winscore prefers SD-type media over USB thumbdrives
when it comes to fast downloading of .igc files, so in the interest of
keeping contest scorers happy, inquiring minds want to know.

Of course, I could just go out to the glider and try it, but that
can't happen till this weekend...

Woohoo, contest season is firing up!

Kirk
66 things to support removable storage.

There should be no difference in what the USB adapter would see with
an USB thumb drive vs. a USB to SD card adapter. Obviously test with
your SD card adapter.

I don't see why Winscore or a CD would care about a thumbdrive vs. an
SD card. Somebody has a really fast USB2 or Firewire SD card reader
and is comparign that to a USB memory stick (which differ in
performance like SD cards do) and the performance in copying a several
100 kbyte or so file to the computer hard drive is significant?

Darryl
Old April 13th 10, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 13, 12:58*pm, "kirk.stant" wrote:
Is it possible to use a USB SD card reader with the new SN10 USB
port? *Apparently, Winscore prefers SD-type media over USB thumbdrives
when it comes to fast downloading of .igc files, so in the interest of
keeping contest scorers happy, inquiring minds want to know.

Of course, I could just go out to the glider and try it, but that
can't happen till this weekend...

Woohoo, contest season is firing up!

Kirk
66

Two part answer:

(1) Winscore, or any scoring program, could care less what
kind of media used for the files. The scorer may however
complain if you show up with 5.25" floppy disks.

(2) There are adapters that take a uSD card and make it
look like a USB thumb-drive. The one I have takes too
much power and doesn't work with the ILEC-SN10-USB
adapter.

Hope that helps,
See ya, Dave
Old April 13th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 13, 2:02*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:

(1) Winscore, or any scoring program, could care less what
kind of media used for the files. The scorer may however
complain if you show up with 5.25" floppy disks.

Winscore doesn't care. However the operating system does take a while
longer to recognize a USB drive. Experience shows that SD cards beat
any other option in the scoring shack by a country mile.

-T8
Old April 13th 10, 11:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

T8 wrote:
On Apr 13, 2:02 pm, Dave wrote:

(1) Winscore, or any scoring program, could care less what
kind of media used for the files. The scorer may however
complain if you show up with 5.25" floppy disks.

Winscore doesn't care. However the operating system does take a while
longer to recognize a USB drive. Experience shows that SD cards beat
any other option in the scoring shack by a country mile.

-T8

What are scorers using for the OS - Win 98? Me? My XP computers find and
display a USB drive in 5-6 seconds vs 4-5 seconds for an SD card, not
enough time to go that country mile, even with 50 entrants. Does the
problem come from having 50 different USB drives, instead just 5 or 6
different ones?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Old April 14th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 13, 3:12*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
T8 wrote:
On Apr 13, 2:02 pm, Dave *wrote:

(1) Winscore, or any scoring program, could care less what
kind of media used for the files. The scorer may however
complain if you show up with 5.25" floppy disks.

Winscore doesn't care. *However the operating system does take a while
longer to recognize a USB drive. *Experience shows that SD cards beat
any other option in the scoring shack by a country mile.

-T8

What are scorers using for the OS - Win 98? Me? My XP computers find and
display a USB drive in 5-6 seconds vs 4-5 seconds for an SD card, not
enough time to go that country mile, even with 50 entrants. Does the
problem come from having 50 different USB drives, instead just 5 or 6
different ones?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

I also had trouble seeing a significant delay, and I was running
Windows 2000 under VMWare Fusion on a MacBook Pro (so some additional
overhead for device I/O though the virtualization software). There was
no noticeable difference in device detection speeds.

The internal operation of just about every internal SD card reader is
actually a USB interface, same with ExpressCard SD card readers.
PCMCIA is a bit different, but I'm surprised there would be a big
overhead just for USB device discovery. Is something strange going on
with autoplay?

I assume Dave's earlier comment about power consumption of USB to SD
card adapters referred to some of the larger desktop style ones, the
typical small SD to USB small adapters like my SanDisk MicroMate or
SimpleTech Bonzai draw very low currents. I don't have my USB breakout
cable handy or I'd measure the currents but I know it is low.

Darryl
Old April 14th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Apr 13, 6:12*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
T8 wrote:
On Apr 13, 2:02 pm, Dave *wrote:

(1) Winscore, or any scoring program, could care less what
kind of media used for the files. The scorer may however
complain if you show up with 5.25" floppy disks.

Winscore doesn't care. *However the operating system does take a while
longer to recognize a USB drive. *Experience shows that SD cards beat
any other option in the scoring shack by a country mile.

-T8

What are scorers using for the OS - Win 98? Me? My XP computers find and
display a USB drive in 5-6 seconds vs 4-5 seconds for an SD card, not
enough time to go that country mile, even with 50 entrants. Does the
problem come from having 50 different USB drives, instead just 5 or 6
different ones?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

Leo (Buckley) could tell you more, but afaik he doesn't read r.a.s.
On his system -- I've watched this -- SD cards are recognized much
faster than USB drives. If we all used USB drives with identical
drivers it would probably be a non-issue.

-T8
Old April 14th 10, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Apr 13, 7:40*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I assume Dave's earlier comment about power consumption of USB to SD
card adapters referred to some of the larger desktop style ones, the
typical small SD to USB small adapters like my SanDisk MicroMate or
SimpleTech Bonzai draw very low currents. I don't have my USB breakout
cable handy or I'd measure the currents but I know it is low.

Darryl

I have a small converter that looks like a normal USB memory
stick, with a tiny slot in the end for a uSD card (I use this for
turning in FLARM log files). The combo (adapter plus uSD card)
draws 100ma, which is the max our adapter sources.

What it needs all that power for I have no idea...
Your mileage may vary !

Best Regards, Dave

PS: In windows device manager, switch to connection view,
and you can see the USB current for each connected device.
No need for breakout cables...
Old April 14th 10, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Apr 13, 5:21*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:
[...]

You don't need to be in connection view do you?

Anyhow this does not work in a virtual machine like I am running. My
God, people still run Windows on native hardware? I keep mine locked
tightly is a safe container on the shelf and only open it when needed.

Darryl
Old April 14th 10, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Dave Nadler wrote:
On Apr 13, 7:40 pm, Darryl wrote:

[...]

I opened Device Manager, located my USB memory stick in the USB
controller list, opened Properties, but don't see power or current
listed in any of the tabs. The Generic hub did have a Power tab, but it
showed the requirement for the attached device (auxiliary display), not
actual current. Can you be more specific on which USB to look at, and
where in the Properties?

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

ILEC SN10 release 2.35 Dave Nadler Soaring 7 March 27th 10 07:46 PM
SN10 B for sale Dick[_3_] Soaring 1 November 29th 09 06:31 PM
SN10 Remote Repair Mike the Strike Soaring 5 February 19th 08 02:24 PM
Ilec SN10 question John Ferguson Soaring 3 May 29th 07 05:11 AM
SN10 Remote BMacLean Soaring 0 August 24th 03 10:32 PM