A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

On line ground school

Old February 3rd 21, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default On line ground school

Hello all,
I am a retired airline pilot who is getting back into GA flying.
I intend to pursue a commercial add on this coming season assuming virus restrictions are lifted or changed.
Looking for an organized zoom/FaceTime type ground school geared towards people like me so I can hit the ground running when the flying opens up.
Thank you.
Brian
Old February 3rd 21, 05:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
soaringjac
external usenet poster

I used this for training and it was great. https://www.gliderbooks.com/courses
Old February 4th 21, 08:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]
external usenet poster

Looking for an organized zoom/FaceTime type ground school geared towards people like me so I can hit the ground running when the flying opens up.

Not an organized ground school, but Sporty's pilot shop offers an excellent product entitled "So You Want to Fly Gliders"
https://www.sportys.com/so-you-want-...e-and-app.html
It is geared toward someone transitioning from powered flight to gliders, and is the most concentrated presentation of glider-rating related information I have ever seen.
It really is excellent.

As a category add-on candidate, you are not required to take a written exam.. That said, I recommend purchase and study of one of the written exam preparation software packages available, e.g. Aviation Supplies & Academics (ASA) == https://www.asa2fly.com/Test-Prep-20...t-P4298C9.aspx (includes Commercial Glider)
Similar test prep software is available from Dauntless and Gleim.

The F.A.A. Glider Flying Handbook is another recommended reference and study resource, available free at
https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...ider_handbook/

You will also want to download and review the Practical Test Standard for Commercial Glider ==
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...s-8081-23a.pdf
Old February 4th 21, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]
external usenet poster

I learned today that the Philadelphia Glider Council is currently conducting an online (Zoom) version of their 3-Day ground school. Day #1 was Feb 2, but Day #2 is Feb 16 and Day #3 is March 9

Contact Bob O'Brien === obrien2357 at gmail dot com
for registration.
Old February 4th 21, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Manley[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 5:19:25 PM UTC-5, Scott Manley wrote:
I learned today that the Philadelphia Glider Council is currently conducting an online (Zoom) version of their 3-Day ground school. Day #1 was Feb 2, but Day #2 is Feb 16 and Day #3 is March 9

Contact Bob O'Brien === obrien2357 at gmail dot com
for registration.

Correction: The ground school was/is being held Saturday mornings, 9:00 AM - 12:30 PM, Jan 30 thru March 6
Registration contact: Phil Klauder == Phil dot Klauder at Verizon dot net
Old February 14th 21, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JimL
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 7:23:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello all,
I intend to pursue a commercial add on this coming season assuming virus restrictions are lifted or changed.
Thank you.
Brian

I'm like you, just older. I retired from the bigs in 03; and didn't touch a stick for 17 years. I was looking for something in the air that didn't need an ATP, having turned down several biz-jet jobs. So, gliders seem to fit the bill. Calling around to other pilots, I got a consensus about AZsoaring..com. They're located 40 miles south of PHX. Calling them put me immediately at ease, as the have had many pilots like us come through.

Bottom line, I went through their program (commercial add-on) in 7 days, including check-ride and about $4,500. You may do it in less time and less money. I took me forever to get passed 25 degrees of bank.

They are on a private strip, one paved rwy for tow and two desert ones for ldg. They use their own syllabus for a commercial add-on. You can stay on the field in "Camp Condor", a cute A-frame dorm style for $30 a night.

If you do decide to go this way, please set up your check with the Designee living up near Flagstaff. He's a heavy driver with lots of time and what is really necessary to know. The hardest thing for you will be 1) learning to use rudder pedals again; 2) all the different air spaces. I still don't have them all down. I much preferred the old airline airspace "there is only one, and it's mine..."
Cheers,

Old February 14th 21, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

For a different type of flying, look into a gyro plane.

Dan
5J

On 2/14/21 1:22 PM, JimL wrote:
On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 7:23:57 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hello all,
Thank you.
Brian

I'm like you, just older. I retired from the bigs in 03; and didn't touch a stick for 17 years. I was looking for something in the air that didn't need an ATP, having turned down several biz-jet jobs. So, gliders seem to fit the bill. Calling around to other pilots, I got a consensus about AZsoaring.com. They're located 40 miles south of PHX. Calling them put me immediately at ease, as the have had many pilots like us come through.

Bottom line, I went through their program (commercial add-on) in 7 days, including check-ride and about $4,500. You may do it in less time and less money. I took me forever to get passed 25 degrees of bank.

They are on a private strip, one paved rwy for tow and two desert ones for ldg. They use their own syllabus for a commercial add-on. You can stay on the field in "Camp Condor", a cute A-frame dorm style for $30 a night.

If you do decide to go this way, please set up your check with the Designee living up near Flagstaff. He's a heavy driver with lots of time and what is really necessary to know. The hardest thing for you will be 1) learning to use rudder pedals again; 2) all the different air spaces. I still don't have them all down. I much preferred the old airline airspace "there is only one, and it's mine..."
Cheers,