SSA Convention - Memphis

Old February 11th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SSA Convention - Memphis

As I was unable to attend, does anyone have an update on the SSA
convention? How did it all go? How was attendance? How were the
seminars and of course, was there any "breaking news" on new
equipment, software, sailplanes, etc?
Thanks - Renny Rozzoni

Old February 11th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

I just got back to Nevada from the convention at 1AM this morning. It was
sure good to see so many friends, soaring people, gliders and stuff - - best
part seeing so many friends!.

I know Kempton Izuno will be writing a piece on the convention, along with
video and pics. Since I'm still tired, and in no way could I ever compete
with Kemp's writing style . . . I'll wait for his input (grin).

all the best,

bumper
oups.com...

Old February 12th 07, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

For my money, the biggest piece of news was a discussion
in the club and chapters meeting.

The users' fees is a really big threat this time and
the AOPA officer who made the presentation did a good
job of pointing out that traffic reporting, angel flights,
police helicoptering, hospital helicoptering, crop
dusting, and all sorts of other flying outside military/airline
aviation will be drastically affected and that all
of this will have huge effect on the non-flying public.

Get ready to bombard senators and representatives with
a huge letter campaign a few weeks before voting on
this issue takes place!

At 19:42 11 February 2007, Bumper wrote:
I just got back to Nevada from the convention at 1AM
this morning. It was
sure good to see so many friends, soaring people, gliders
and stuff - - best
part seeing so many friends!.

I know Kempton Izuno will be writing a piece on the
convention, along with
video and pics. Since I'm still tired, and in no way
could I ever compete
with Kemp's writing style . . . I'll wait for his input
(grin).

all the best,

bumper
roups.com...

Old February 12th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default SSA Convention - Memphis. Addendum

Join AOPA if you are not already a member. This organization
is on top of this issue and perhaps offers our best
hope if we cooperate with them. They have the news
in real time and will make suggestions about how to
proceed.

Besides that, if you are a member at $40 you can get
a 5% discount on your insurance.

At 19:42 11 February 2007, Bumper wrote:
I just got back to Nevada from the convention at 1AM
this morning. It was
sure good to see so many friends, soaring people, gliders
and stuff - - best
part seeing so many friends!.

I know Kempton Izuno will be writing a piece on the
convention, along with
video and pics. Since I'm still tired, and in no way
could I ever compete
with Kemp's writing style . . . I'll wait for his input
(grin).

all the best,

bumper
roups.com...

Old February 12th 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ContestID67

My highlights were as follows;

- The Antarres battery powered motorglider. Very quiet and incredibly
easy to use along with being a great glider. Will their use in a
contest be problematic as the motor doesn't make enough noise to be
recorded?

- The Sinha deturbulator testing. Just the opposite of a tubulator
strip. This is a thin strip of mylar with embedded capillary tubes.
You place it on the upper wing right where laminar flow separates.
Dick Johnson reported something like a 7% increase in L/D on an older
wing profile. It even worked on a mini-van. This could be something
very big.

- The EW Microrecorder. A great little self contained FAI recorder
which is perfect for club use.

- The WWII Glider Pilot's dinner and movie. Great stuff!

- Picking up a Diana2 wing. Wow, is that light.

- All the vintage gliders on the floor.

- 501 (c) 3 Charity designation for a glider club.

- Old friends and new friends.

Old February 12th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Feb 11, 5:45 pm, "ContestID67" wrote:
[...]

Much of the above and the I liked the simulator demo and thoughts
behind it by YSA. Must say our Canadian cousins were very much
involved this year.

Old February 12th 07, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 11, 9:21 pm, "Frank Whiteley" wrote:
[...]

yes i really enjoyed the convention again this year. Met a lot of
people who said "oh, you're that guy from RAS!" My StrePla badge
thing finally quit blinking, I put new batteries in it right before
Kempton's talk and when he turned out the lights I was nearly
blinded. Has been running non stop since and finally quit sometime
between 9AM and 12 noon today.

Old February 14th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_1_]

I thought the displays, the gliders and the talks were excellent, but
as a vendor I was dissapointed with the attendence numbers.

The rumor was floating around that after the 2008 convention, the
Convention would be every two years.

Anyone have thoughts on this idea? Will the SSA publish the
attendence figures?

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 14th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Feb 11, 9:00 am, wrote:

As I was unable to attend, does anyone have an update on the SSA
convention? How did it all go? How was attendance? How were the
seminars and of course, was there any "breaking news" on new
equipment, software, sailplanes, etc?
Thanks - Renny Rozzoni

I've heard that as well. Too bad really, I enjoy seeing friends every
year.

IMO if they would lower the cost for the thing they would draw a lot
more people. That is the single biggest thing that holds me back.
Usually I am able to secure a free airplane ride to wherever the
convention is and crash in someones hotel room or a friends house.

The 50 dollar suppers are great to attend, but dang, 50 bucks is
usually what I budget for more than a weeks worth of eating, not one
meal. In the past, when astronauts have been speaking, ive swallowed
the cost. not this year.

-Broke College Kid, CFI

Old February 14th 07, 02:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Annual Conventions are not helping to grow the sport....they consume
time, energy and money that the SSA could probably be used elsewhere.
No one is getting less busy these days, and soaring is time consuming
enough just trying to get out to the airport and commit aviation.
It's not as if there exists tremendous advances from one year to the
next. I know this has been batted around before, but I think the
sport could survive with a convention every 24 months.

And while we are on the subject of sacred cows, does the SSA really
need a hard-copy magazine? I get 95% percent of my information on
soaring online, and glancing over the mag does not hold the same
interest it once did. OLC, BlipMaps, RAS, the SSA website, the
various websites for clubs and national organizations, the Yahoo
Groups...all seem to prosper online, as well as commercial vendors.
Why is "Soaring" and exception to this?

NC/SC/VA Pilots to Memphis? [email protected] Soaring 1 January 25th 07 02:51 PM
SSA Memphis Convention, 75th Anniversary Robert Gaines Soaring 0 November 19th 06 09:43 PM
Flying to Memphis Greg Esres Piloting 6 October 15th 03 12:26 AM
MEMPHIS BELLE news John Military Aviation 5 September 4th 03 08:43 PM
Memphis in September Jim Fisher General Aviation 0 July 2nd 03 02:59 PM