Cirrus sued by Lidle's & Stanger's families

Old March 5th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Default Cirrus sued by Lidle's & Stanger's families

I guess we all knew this was gonna happen...

I read this on AvWeb this morning - not only is Cirrus named in the
suit, but also Teledyne, Hartzel, S-Tec, Honeywell and Justice
Aviation (whoever they are). And this *before* the NTSB has determined
the cause. Unbelievable. They claim the feds' data show Cirrus
aircraft having a history of aileron failures and other accidents
involving flight control failures. I've read about quite a few Cirrus
accidents on this forum and don't recall anything about a control
system failure(?)

So they go after the engine mfr (did it quit on them?) and the
propeller mfr (did it fall off?) and the autopilot mfr (did George fly
them into the building?) The "Deep Pockets" theory is still in
effect I 'spose... Ugh. Our legal system needs an enema.

Old March 5th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS[_2_]

"Kingfish" wrote

I read this on AvWeb this morning - not only is Cirrus named in the
suit, but also Teledyne, Hartzel, S-Tec, Honeywell and Justice
Aviation (whoever they are). And this *before* the NTSB has determined
the cause. Unbelievable.

They left out the company that made the bricks that the building was
constructed of, the City of New York for allowing it to be put there when it
is an obvious hazard to aircraft, the FAA for extending the VFR corridor up
the river that far, etc.

Gee, the only person they left out was the guy who's fault it probably was -
what a shocker.

BDS

Old March 5th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Kingfish wrote:
I've read about quite a few Cirrus
accidents on this forum and don't recall anything about a control
system failure(?)

There was the one when the pilot had to pop the chute because the aileron
was reattached properly after maintenance.

Old March 5th 07, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 3/5/2007 2:24:08 PM, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrote:

Kingfish wrote:
I've read about quite a few Cirrus
accidents on this forum and don't recall anything about a control
system failure(?)

There was the one when the pilot had to pop the chute because the aileron
was reattached properly after maintenance.

Wasn't there also an issue related to the ailerons that surfaced back when
Cirrus was first testing their aircraft pre-certification? I recall reading
of this, but don't recall the details now.

--
Peter
Old March 5th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Peter R. wrote:

Wasn't there also an issue related to the ailerons that surfaced back when
Cirrus was first testing their aircraft pre-certification? I recall reading
of this, but don't recall the details now.

I think you're talking about the Overmyer crash. That was a VK-30 not
the SR20/22. The elevator jammed.
Old March 5th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Mar 6, 8:07 am, "BDS" wrote:
"Kingfish" wrote

I read this on AvWeb this morning - not only is Cirrus named in the
suit, but also Teledyne, Hartzel, S-Tec, Honeywell and Justice
Aviation (whoever they are). And this *before* the NTSB has determined
the cause. Unbelievable.

They left out the company that made the bricks that the building was
constructed of, the City of New York for allowing it to be put there when it
is an obvious hazard to aircraft, the FAA for extending the VFR corridor up
the river that far, etc.

Gee, the only person they left out was the guy who's fault it probably was -
what a shocker.

BDS

Bloody hell.. This is why the rest of the world thinks there is
something wrong with Americans! Anybody heard of personal
responsibility??

Old March 5th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 13:24:11 -0600, Gig 601XL Builder wrote:

There was the one when the pilot had to pop the chute because the aileron
was reattached properly after maintenance.

Yup, that happened here in Dallas. That was the first certified aircraft
to pop the BRS chute in a real emergency.

Monarch performed service bulletin work on the aileron trim tab before the
flight. Shortly after take off the left aileron damn near fell off.

Not exactly relevant when talking about a history of aileron failures but
the lawyers will probably try to use it anyway.

Pretty interesting story:
http://tinyurl.com/279z8s

--
Dallas
Old March 5th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 20:45:31 GMT, Dallas wrote:

Pretty interesting story:
http://tinyurl.com/279z8s

They make finding part 2 of the story a bit difficult so here's a link to
the conclusion:

http://tinyurl.com/2ybguc
--
Dallas
Old March 5th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"chris" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 6, 8:07 am, "BDS" wrote:
"Kingfish" wrote

[...]

If the plaintiff in a lawsuit had to pay for the defendants legal bills if
the plaintiff loses (like in Europe) most of this frivolous suing BS would
go away. Well I'm off to pour hot coffee all over my crotch.

DW

Old March 5th 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Mar 5, 10:50 am, "Kingfish" wrote:
I guess we all knew this was gonna happen...

I read this on AvWeb this morning - not only is Cirrus named in the
suit, but also Teledyne, Hartzel, S-Tec, Honeywell and Justice
Aviation (whoever they are). And this *before* the NTSB has determined
the cause. Unbelievable. They claim the feds' data show Cirrus
aircraft having a history of aileron failures and other accidents
involving flight control failures. I've read about quite a few Cirrus
accidents on this forum and don't recall anything about a control
system failure(?)

So they go after the engine mfr (did it quit on them?) and the
propeller mfr (did it fall off?) and the autopilot mfr (did George fly
them into the building?) The "Deep Pockets" theory is still in
effect I 'spose... Ugh. Our legal system needs an enema.

Anyone named in the initial action is no longer protected by time. If
you wait too long you can't file against anyone. You always name
anyone who could possibly be named in the first round. Usually you end
up with 1 or 2 named by the time you make an offer.

-Robert