Centerlines on taxiways

Old March 31st 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Centerlines on taxiways

My understanding is that you're always supposed to follow the centerline of a
taxiway with your nose wheel. However, I find that in very large aircraft,
such as a 747, doing so allows the rear of the aircraft to very nearly roll
off the taxiway in turns; it seems that I must swing the nose outward towards
the edge of the taxiway in turns so that the rear portion of the aircraft
stays reasonably centered--in much the same way that one steers a bus on a
city street. Is this kind of swinging outside the centerline the correct way
to do it, or am I missing something?

Old March 31st 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

My understanding is that you're always supposed to follow the
centerline of a taxiway with your nose wheel. However, I find that in
very large aircraft, such as a 747, doing so allows the rear of the
aircraft to very nearly roll off the taxiway in turns; it seems that I
must swing the nose outward towards the edge of the taxiway in turns
so that the rear portion of the aircraft stays reasonably centered--in
much the same way that one steers a bus on a city street. Is this
kind of swinging outside the centerline the correct way to do it, or
am I missing something?

Yes, Your mind. Send me 25$ via paypal and I'll e-mail you the answer.

Bertie

Old March 31st 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

"150flivver" wrote in
ups.com:

On Mar 31, 12:59 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
My understanding is that you're always supposed to follow the
centerline of a taxiway with your nose wheel. However, I find that
in very large aircraft, such as a 747, doing so allows the rear of
the aircraft to very nearly roll off the taxiway in turns; it seems
that I must swing the nose outward towards the edge of the taxiway in
turns so that the rear portion of the aircraft stays reasonably
centered--in much the same way that one steers a bus on a city
street. Is this kind of swinging outside the centerline the correct
way to do it, or am I missing something?

For Chrissake., I don't want that idiot at the wheel of a truck!

Bertie
Old March 31st 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
My understanding is that you're always supposed to follow the centerline
of a
taxiway with your nose wheel. However, I find that in very large
aircraft,
such as a 747, doing so allows the rear of the aircraft to very nearly
roll
off the taxiway in turns; it seems that I must swing the nose outward
towards
the edge of the taxiway in turns so that the rear portion of the aircraft
stays reasonably centered--in much the same way that one steers a bus on a
city street. Is this kind of swinging outside the centerline the correct
way
to do it, or am I missing something?

You're missing something.

However, in your situation, just check to make sure you keep adiqate spacing
between the bedroom door and the hall closet. And be careful not to knock
over Mom's table lamp.

Old March 31st 07, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Maxwell writes:

You're missing something.

Okay, what am I missing?

Old March 31st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Snowbird

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Maxwell writes:

You're missing something.

Okay, what am I missing?

The ability to question your assumptions.

Old March 31st 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Maxwell writes:

You're missing something.

Okay, what am I missing?

EXPERIENCE, you egg head. I've told you before, you just refused to listed.

They tell you all about the little stripe, the first time you take a real
flying lesson, in *anything*. God you are a hoot!

Old March 31st 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Doesn't anyone have an answer to this question?

Old March 31st 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Maxwell

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Doesn't anyone have an answer to this question?

Of course not. At least not one that would be acceptable to your standards.
You would just have to explain to us how we have been doing it wrong all
these years.