Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

Old November 6th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
Sylvia Else

Default Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation

mrtravel wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

Graeme Hogan wrote:

"Sylvia Else" wrote in message
u...

Kwyjibo wrote:

"Ned" wrote in message ...

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics | By David Noland | October 13, 2007

snip

Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the list,
given the drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

What about Tennerife

Did it happen on September 11, 2001?

Sylvia.

When did the topic become "Septemeber 11, 2001"?

When I replied to a posting that commented about September 11.

Sylvia.
Old November 6th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
mrtravel

Sylvia Else wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Kwyjibo wrote:

"Ned" wrote in message

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics | By David Noland | October 13, 2007

snip

Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the list,
given the drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

What about Tennerife

Did it happen on September 11, 2001?

Sylvia.

When did the topic become "Septemeber 11, 2001"?

When I replied to a posting that commented about September 11.

Sylvia.

No, you replied to someone's comment about Tenerife.
DIdn't you see it? It says "What about Tennerife", and you quoted it.

Old November 7th 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
wb

Kwyjibo wrote:
"Ned" wrote in message ...
Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics | By David Noland | October 13, 2007
snip

Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the list, given
the drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

What about Tennerife

What was the significant inventions made to aviation to prevent this
happening again?

Old November 7th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
F. Baum

On Oct 31, 11:31 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the list, given the
drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

Sylvia.

This is completely not true ! The industry has completely changed the
way they handle security, hijackers, disturbances, etc.. The loopholes
that were explioted that day no longer exist. You have FAMs, FIFDOs,
secure cockpits, pasengers willing to stand up and fight, and a whole
host of security mesures the traveling public knows little or nothing
about.
I think this article is silly and very incomplete.

Old November 7th 07, 06:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
Sylvia Else

F. Baum wrote:
On Oct 31, 11:31 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the list, given the
drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

Sylvia.

This is completely not true ! The industry has completely changed the
way they handle security, hijackers, disturbances, etc.. The loopholes
that were explioted that day no longer exist. You have FAMs, FIFDOs,
secure cockpits, pasengers willing to stand up and fight, and a whole
host of security mesures the traveling public knows little or nothing
about.
I think this article is silly and very incomplete.

You correctly identify a change in passenger attitudes. I didn't regard
that as relevant, because it was not a change introduced by the industry
or regulators, but simply a changed perception on the part of passengers
seeking to look after their own interests.

The remaining changes, such as preventing people from taking knitting
needles on board, are a stable-door closing reaction that has not done
anything to improve safety, exactly because of the change in passenger
behaviour.

What the rules have done is to ensure that passengers are completely
disarmed so as to have nothing to use against the next terrorist who
dreams up a novel approach to air piracy.

Sylvia.

Old November 7th 07, 10:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
mrtravel

Sylvia Else wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Kwyjibo wrote:

"Ned" wrote in message

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics | By David Noland | October 13, 2007

snip

Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the
list, given the drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

What about Tennerife

Did it happen on September 11, 2001?

Sylvia.

When did the topic become "Septemeber 11, 2001"?

When I replied to a posting that commented about September 11.

Sylvia.

No, you replied to someone's comment about Tenerife.
DIdn't you see it? It says "What about Tennerife", and you quoted it.

Yes, but you responded and quoted the question about Tenerife and asked
if it happened on Sept 11. Why would you think it happened on 9/11?
Old November 7th 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
mrtravel

Sylvia Else wrote:

The remaining changes, such as preventing people from taking knitting
needles on board, are a stable-door closing reaction that has not done
anything to improve safety, exactly because of the change in passenger
behaviour.

Knitting needles are permitted.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

The list is still stupid.

You can bring a walking cane, but not a hockey stick or pool cue.

Old November 7th 07, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
Sylvia Else

mrtravel wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

The remaining changes, such as preventing people from taking knitting
needles on board, are a stable-door closing reaction that has not done
anything to improve safety, exactly because of the change in passenger
behaviour.

Knitting needles are permitted.
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

The list is still stupid.

You can bring a walking cane, but not a hockey stick or pool cue.

Kniting needles are banned in Australia.

But the amount of inflammable material you can take on board (2kg of
matches, for example) is unbelievable. You can also take 2 litres of
lighter fuel, though nowadays you'd have to buy it in the secure area
because of the general (and totally stupid) limit on liquids.

Sylvia.
Old November 7th 07, 11:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,aus.aviation
Sylvia Else

mrtravel wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Sylvia Else wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

Kwyjibo wrote:

"Ned" wrote in message

Ten Plane Crashes That Changed Aviation
Popular Mechanics | By David Noland | October 13, 2007

snip

Hmmm. No mention of September 11, 2001.
I would have thought those plane crashes would have made the
list, given the drastic changes that resulted.

No, because the changes haven't resulted in any increase in safety.

What about Tennerife

Did it happen on September 11, 2001?

Sylvia.

When did the topic become "Septemeber 11, 2001"?

When I replied to a posting that commented about September 11.

Sylvia.

No, you replied to someone's comment about Tenerife.
DIdn't you see it? It says "What about Tennerife", and you quoted it.

Yes, but you responded and quoted the question about Tenerife and asked
if it happened on Sept 11. Why would you think it happened on 9/11?

The "What about Tennerife" question was a non sequitur in the context in
which it appeared. My comment was a reasonable response to that.

If you don't get it, don't worry about it.

'nuf said on this.

Sylvia.