Emergency paperwork

Old March 6th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

Default Emergency paperwork

I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that big
a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which included my
OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend below the MEA to
shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About a minute after
declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

Thanks,
rg
Old March 6th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Ron Garret wrote:

I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that
big a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which
included my OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend
below the MEA to shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About
a minute after declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

You have to notify ATC as soon as possible, I assume you did that. After
the fact you're required to submit a report if the Administrator requests
one, that's unlikely.

Old March 7th 09, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

In article ,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that
big a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which
included my OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend
below the MEA to shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About
a minute after declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

You have to notify ATC as soon as possible, I assume you did that.

It didn't even occur to me at the time that I *could* declare an
emergency without notifying ATC :-)

After
the fact you're required to submit a report if the Administrator requests
one, that's unlikely.

Thanks!

rg
Old March 10th 09, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
In article ,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Ron Garret wrote:

I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that
big a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which
included my OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend
below the MEA to shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About
a minute after declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

You have to notify ATC as soon as possible, I assume you did that.

It didn't even occur to me at the time that I *could* declare an
emergency without notifying ATC :-)

You can, but if you don't have your mic keyed, only your passengers are
likely to notice.

Old March 20th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Garret

"Ron Garret" wrote in message
I declared my first ever emergency yesterday after encountering
unexpected ice. I only accumulated about 1/4 inch so it wasn't that big
a deal, but I lost my engine gauges (I fly an SR22), which included my
OAT, so I went ahead and declared so I could descend below the MEA to
shed the ice before anything else went wrong. About a minute after
declaring I broke out into VMC.

My question is: is there any FAA paperwork I need to do? I already
filed an ASRS form.

Thanks,
rg

Probably ice accumulating somewhere and shorting something out, but I
don't really know and probably never will. I lost the electronic engine
gauges, not the mechanical backups. But that means I lost my OAT, so
despite being in VMC I decided to divert so that I could take stock,
file a PIREP, get a weather update, and unwind a bit. Once on the
ground I power-cycled the avionics but the problem persisted. But when
I tried again about 20 minutes later it had fixed itself. (Either that
or the FBO had an incredibly good maintenance department. :-)

rg

Information Belize paperwork. [email protected] Piloting 6 January 10th 06 09:04 PM
Lost Paperwork? Marty Piloting 20 June 10th 04 06:15 AM
Autogas STC Paperwork Al Gilson Owning 16 April 9th 04 12:13 AM
Paperwork Question's? MRQB Owning 2 March 15th 04 07:27 AM
getting FAA paperwork Cub Driver Piloting 4 December 13th 03 01:06 AM