Co-pilots May Sim instead of Fly to Train

Old December 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

Default Co-pilots May Sim instead of Fly to Train

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Do I think either of them could do it for real just because they did it

in
the office on the sim - nope, not a chance. What does this tell me? -

just
because you can do it in the sim doesn't mean you can do it when it

counts.

No, it just tells you that you don't believe they could do it for
real. Without actually trying it, you'll never know.

Would you care to sit in the back seat when someone tries this?

Do a search of the NTSB records and see how many "continued VFR" type
accidents you can find.

There's a good chance that they could do it for real, depending on
their personalities.

Preposterous.

The sim has its place for sure, but it will never replace actual

experience.

Saying that over and over doesn't make it true.

Obviously nothing, including facts and real world evidence will suffice to
convince you.

I did my first skydive quite awhile ago before tandems were popular. I

That was you. But not everyone is like you.

Yes, that is true.

BDS

Old December 22nd 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BDS writes:

Maybe so, but it's a far cry from the type of simulation you are doing
sitting in front of your PC.

There are all different types of simulation, and they all have their
purpose.

Just idling an engine is not at all the same as losing it completely,
and in this instance, a PC simulation may actually be closer to
reality.

The level of stress is much higher and the pilot gets experience
performing under stress.

There's a lot more to flying than stress. Stress isn't any good if
you don't know what to do.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

BDS writes:

Would you care to sit in the back seat when someone tries this?

No. But until you do it, you're poorly placed to make any
pronouncements about it.

That's what simulators are all about. What good is practicing a
procedure if you die in the process?

Obviously nothing, including facts and real world evidence will suffice to
convince you.

Facts and real-world evidence are persuasive. Emotional outbursts,
repetition, and personal attacks are not.

Old December 22nd 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BDS

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

No. But until you do it, you're poorly placed to make any
pronouncements about it.

Coming from you that is a pretty funny statement.

Hey, it's been fun but now this is way past tedious so au revoir.

BDS

Old December 22nd 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

Mxsmanic wrote:

Nobody had ever done what that crew did in terms of flying. None of
their real-world experience helped. The cooperation and
professionalism of the crew had nothing to do with flying.

You've contradicted your earlier position with this statement. Without
crew cooperation (how many did it take to control the crippled acft?)
all would have been lost.

Okay, you have just showed your total ignorance on this subject.
Without technical skills, CRM alone wouldn't have kept the plane from
becoming a lawn dart.

The technical skills required were not especially great.

Remind me again, how someone with no flight time would have *any*
insight into this?

That's what being a professional pilot is about - keeping your

cool
when things aren't going exactly by the book.

That has nothing to do with flying. A great many professionals in
other domains are exactly the same way. The situation would be the
same during brain or heart surgery, with no airplane in sight.

Yes it has everything to do with flying - WTF was the subject of this
thread? This forum?
It seems to me your reality disconnect makes it impossible for you to
follow a rational discussion (which leads to argument) When you
contradict yourself, and make broad statement without the life
experience to back it up, what little credibility you have goes down
the sh!tter.

Other than that I enjoy reading your posts : )

Old December 23rd 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Kingfish writes:

You've contradicted your earlier position with this statement. Without
crew cooperation (how many did it take to control the crippled acft?)
all would have been lost.

In part, yes. But that's not flying skill.

Remind me again, how someone with no flight time would have *any*
insight into this?

Flight time is not a prerequisite for such reasoning.

Old December 23rd 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

Mxsmanic wrote:
Blanche writes:
I don't know any military that sends new pilots
out without substantial hands-on, in-the-air training.

Some parts of the military use Microsoft Flight Simulator as part of
their training.

Read my sentence again.

Old December 23rd 06, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Blanche writes:

Read my sentence again.

Why?