Goose at FL 360????

Old November 5th 05, 08:57 PM
Mark Klebanoff

Default Goose at FL 360????

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 14:25:29 UTC, (Paul
Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "BTIZ" said:
yes... they can get that high..
taking advantage of the jet stream would be my guess

Note the location was Colorado Springs. Maybe it got pushed that high by
a mountain wave and wasn't any happier about it than the 757 was.

I once read about a B707 that hit a goose at FL350 over the North
Atlantic, so they don't need any help from mountains to get that high.

Old November 5th 05, 08:58 PM
Montblack

("Michael 182" wrote)
From Audubon's website:

http://magazine.audubon.org/birds/birds0011.html

Interseting article.

Bar-headed geese studied by Professor Swan. g

Montblack
Old November 5th 05, 09:13 PM
Skywise

Michael 182 wrote in
:

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 16:31:03 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote:

Geese have been sighted flying over Mt Everest (29,035')

Mike
MU-2

From Audubon's website:

http://magazine.audubon.org/birds/birds0011.html

Michael

From the article, "helicopters cannot fly here."

Not anymore!!! Of course, the article was written in 2000 so it
was a valid statement then.

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Supernews sucks - blocking google, usenet.com & newsfeeds.com posts
Old November 5th 05, 10:57 PM
John T

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message

I wouldn't call that "missing", myself.

Maybe they were shooting at the goose and decided ramming was their only
option to bring it down...

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old November 6th 05, 12:11 AM
Sylvain

Peter R. wrote:
The whole time of useful consciousness apparently is not an issue with a
goose? I wonder what gives a goose's lungs the ability to extract o2 at
that altitude?

I would guess that it might not be an issue of lung size, but of
brain size (relative to the size of the body); might very well
function at full potential all the way to the stratosphere :-)

--Sylvain
Old November 6th 05, 02:36 AM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

I wonder what gives a goose's lungs the ability to extract o2 at
that altitude?

I would assume they have a different permeable membrane than do humans.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old November 6th 05, 02:57 AM
Dave

Dono...

But they are (at least the Canada Geese) remarkably efficient
flyers..

Seem to fly with hardly any effort at all..and highly organized in
groups....sorry.. "flights"

Dave

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 05:40:03 -0500, Cub Driver usenet AT danford DOT
net wrote:

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 23:01:58 -0600, A Lieberman
wrote:

Geese in Class A airspace???

updraft?

-- all the best, Dan Ford

email: usenet AT danford DOT net

Warbird's Forum: www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum: www.pipercubforum.com
the blog: www.danford.net
In Search of Lost Time: www.readingproust.com

Old November 6th 05, 03:33 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

Birds have a neat thing going on with their lungs. While we take in fresh
air, the oxy gets taken up while the co2 gets taken out of the blood, then
we exhale. Not much exchanging goes on as we exhale. Birds don't waste that
portion of time we spend exhaling, but instead have more air being pumped
across the membranes from reserve sacs. It is almost a circular motion type
of breathing, with the possibility of almost double exchange compared to us.
I'm quite sure I don't explain it well, as it is tough to comprehend.

I think you did very well. Sounds almost as good as if they had two separate
lung systems. Sounds to me sort of like a bagpipe; the lungs keep the sacs full,
and they get a constant flow of oxygen from the sacs.

Old November 6th 05, 04:18 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Peter R. wrote:

I wonder what gives a goose's lungs the ability to extract o2 at
that altitude?

I would assume they have a different permeable membrane than do humans.

Much more than that going on. Did you get a chance to read the article that
someone posted a link to, about the bar geese? It was good, I thought.

Birds have a neat thing going on with their lungs. While we take in fresh
air, the oxy gets taken up while the co2 gets taken out of the blood, then
we exhale. Not much exchanging goes on as we exhale. Birds don't waste that
portion of time we spend exhaling, but instead have more air being pumped
across the membranes from reserve sacs. It is almost a circular motion type
of breathing, with the possibility of almost double exchange compared to us.
I'm quite sure I don't explain it well, as it is tough to comprehend. (as it
was told to me)

The bar geese have some extra benefits, also, thought to have evolved over
time with the species, and where they migrate. Their hemoglobin is extra
efficient, and their lungs therefore extra efficient.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 6th 05, 05:21 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Skywise wrote:

From the article, "helicopters cannot fly here."

Not anymore!!! Of course, the article was written in 2000 so it
was a valid statement then.

That *record* was reported to be a hoax...

I haven't heard about any other attempts...

Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 5 December 15th 04 03:56 AM
Glass Goose Website revamped wingsnaprop Home Built 0 December 14th 04 02:58 PM
BLUE GOOSE Cribsheet Owning 0 September 7th 04 06:38 PM
The Last Flight of the Blue Goose Cribsheet General Aviation 0 June 4th 04 04:38 PM
Off Topic - Spruce Goose Steve Beaver Home Built 30 January 24th 04 05:59 AM