A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ASW27B prices falling

Old August 10th 17, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default ASW27B prices falling

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 2:00:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:45:01 PM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:

BTW, of the 133 ASW 27's on the FAA registry, there are only Four Identified as B's. and all three listed on W&W are listed as B's.

Some ASW 27B's are shown as straight 27's on the registry. Mine's a B, with wet wings and higher W/S, extra flap setting, etc. But shown as a straight 27 on the registry.

Gary Osoba

W/S = wing span?
Old August 10th 17, 07:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

W/S = wing span?

Sorry... engineering parlance for Wing Loading.

Gary

Old August 10th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 2:00:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 9, 2017 at 7:45:01 PM UTC-6, Scott Williams wrote:

BTW, of the 133 ASW 27's on the FAA registry, there are only Four Identified as B's. and all three listed on W&W are listed as B's.

Some ASW 27B's are shown as straight 27's on the registry. Mine's a B, with wet wings and higher W/S, extra flap setting, etc. But shown as a straight 27 on the registry.

Gary Osoba

Does your '27 have a max gross of more than 1102 lb?
Curious.
UH
Old August 10th 17, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 10, 2017 at 1:10:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Does your '27 have a max gross of more than 1102 lb?
Curious.
UH

Hank, I would consider you to be much more knowledgable about these models than I am. As far as I know, both models were certified to 500kg = 1102.31 lbs. max mass, but some pilots of average size/mass in the straight 27 with water bags had reported having difficulty getting enough water in the wings to reach that. Large pilots or gliders heavy from repairs/excess equipment would not have that difficulty. The wet wings work very well and hold all the water they were designed for. Like you did on yours, mine has much bigger dump valves and plumbing installed which gives very good dump times.

Another straight 27- 27B difference is the taller factory winglets on the B model, giving slightly more effective span. Some have reported slightly better handling. I doubt I would be able to tell the difference, but possibly some can. As you know, the handling is absolutely superb on any of these- with or without full water.

Gary
Old August 9th 17, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

http://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=glider

A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.
Old August 9th 17, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 11:06:29 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 5:00:32 AM UTC-6, wrote:
There are 3 nice ASW27's for sale, all at reduced prices in the Wings and Wheels website. We 3 owners are mystified at the seeming lack of interest in this ship. Two of us are no longer flying thanks to Father Time and we're throwing in lots of soaring related "goodies" with your purchase.

A ASW-27 is a great glider and it does strike me as odd that they don't sell quick. However, I believe the majority of the buyers right now are like myself, new to soaring, wanting to buy something that is fun, like my Libelle 201B; but also not something that looks like it is "too much" glider for the first purchase.

Just an idea.

Well....not to be a total smart alec but let me chime in once more.
In the business of sales, particularly used item sales; the prices will be dictated what the market can bare, that is as simple as that.
Since we are seeing the $20-40 market drop about 30% due to the lack of demand, why should be the $60-1000k market be any different? If the owners would price their gliders to sell and reduce prices where they should be... they will sell. No one likes to take a hit but sometimes one needs to take a hard look and just bite the bullet or expect to sit on the item for a very long time and sometimes more,( there are plenty of examples of this on the WW classified).
Sure... there are gliders being sold for a quarter mill but what's the percentage of that compared to the total market...maybe 2%?
Just my nickel's worth.
Old May 15th 19, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 8, 2017 at 6:00:32 AM UTC-5, wrote:

There 2 AWS27 on W&W now one AWS 27 for 60K and a AWS 27b for 80K.

I can see that people seem to prefer motor-gliders these days... at least on the new ones...
Old May 16th 19, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 6:35:31 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:

Some interesting facts, the ASW27 is as good as the ASG29 in the 15 meter configuration. Lot less money and with the right person at the stick you may even be surprised. The 27 is as good as any fifteen meter ship around, maybe better. I had a new 20 back in the late 70's and I have always said that if there was a hall of fame for gliders the 20 would be at the top of the list. The 27 is a great 15 meter ship. I took a look at the 15 meter national scores and the 27 is as competitive as any. You usually get what you pay for.

I can see that people seem to prefer motor-gliders these days... at least on the new ones...

Old May 16th 19, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 4:28:50 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 6:35:31 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:

Some interesting facts, the ASW27 is as good as the ASG29 in the 15 meter configuration. Lot less money and with the right person at the stick you may even be surprised. The 27 is as good as any fifteen meter ship around, maybe better. I had a new 20 back in the late 70's and I have always said that if there was a hall of fame for gliders the 20 would be at the top of the list. The 27 is a great 15 meter ship. I took a look at the 15 meter national scores and the 27 is as competitive as any. You usually get what you pay for.

ASW-27 has something the ASG-29 doesn't have, about 50 pound lighter wings!
Old May 16th 19, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

One reason I moved from a nice 20C to a 27 was lighter wings. Rigging and derigging easier for older pilots.

But there's costs for the automatic hookups and carbon fiber: smaller O2 bottle and maybe external antennas for PowerFLARM and transponder.