Identify this 1930 airliner?

Old January 3rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Identify this 1930 airliner?

Dornier and some other airplanes used puller/pusher nacelles
to increase power without increasing wing span.

"d&tm" wrote in message

| "john smith" wrote in message
| Looks almost like a DeHavilland Rapid with two extra
engines

| my first thought was a deHavilland something or other
based on the front
| end. But the Rapide is a biplane ,. I also wondered where
you got the two
| extra engine bit, then I saw what looked like a pusher
propeller at the back
| of each engine. Did any real airplane ever have engines
mounted back to
| back ( as distinct from the C337 which are at each end of
the cabin.?
| Another poster said the Fokker F32 which does look
similar to the drawing
| except the cockpit does not come flush with the front of
the aircraft..
| Perhaps it does only exist in the artists mind.
| Terry
| PPL downunder.
|

| Adam Aulick wrote:
|
| Can anybody identify the aircraft in this picture?
| http://pgh.aulick.net/1930mysteryplane.jpg
|
| The picture is a scan of the cover of an interesting
booklet. It
| contains tables of typical airfares for February 1930,
an air route
| map including an Embry-Riddle airline with one route
through
| Indianapolis and Chicago, and an ad for "the world's
first air-minded
| hotel". Many of the routes, even southern ones such
as Alabama-New

Old January 3rd 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Steven P. McNicoll writes:

Fokker F-32, with a bit of artistic license thrown in.

I didn't realize planes that ugly could be designed.

Well - somebody's gotta say it: "That is one *UGLY* Fokker!"

Indeed it is:-

http://www.dutch-aviation.nl/index5/...5-2%20F32.html

Old January 4th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"d&tm" wrote in message

my first thought was a deHavilland something or other based on the front
end. But the Rapide is a biplane ,. I also wondered where you got the two
extra engine bit, then I saw what looked like a pusher propeller at the
back
of each engine. Did any real airplane ever have engines mounted back to
back ( as distinct from the C337 which are at each end of the cabin.?

Yes, the Fokker F-32, for one.

http://aerofiles.com/fok-f32x.jpg