Hmmm a BD5J with zero hours FS

Old December 31st 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
anon

Default How about a DA-1800 for our hero?

Juan, will you sign a form DA-1800?

Old December 31st 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

Default Hmmm a BD5J with zero hours FS

Juan Jimenez wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
.. .

Ask them for what? To verify you were in the MC? That you did your job?
Yeah, it was a good thing that you did, no doubt, but it sounds just like
any other day in the Air Force.

LOL! Yeah, sure, that must be the story.

No, REALLY, what the hell do you want anybody to find by reading the
article? Instead of playing games and throwing out teasers, just tell
what it is that you want me to know. I'm not into stupid guessing
games. Spell it out. I read the article from the link you sent. I saw
you're name in print. BFD! Is that the only time you were ever in print?

I was in the Air Force and stationed at Keesler (Biloxi, MS) during
Hurricane Elena in 1985. (Yes, THAT sucked!). Anyhow, after the breeze
stopped (broke the wind measuring equipment at 125 MPH, so never did find
out how hard it blew), it was found that there was no power on the base
and our amateur radio repeater was thus off the air. Officials were
relying on it to bridge the gap in communications between Gulfport and
Pascagoula. So what did I do? I walked out to the street in front of my
dorm, found a wrecked car, lifted the hood and stole the battery. Hand
carried it about a half a mile to the radio club building and hooked it up
to the repeater and got it on the air (had to do a makeshift repair on the
antenna as well). Got a letter of commendation for "rising to the
occasion". I can scan a copy if you wish. I don't feel I went above and
beyond, but the base CO appreciated it enough to write a letter to our CO.
All that for a petty theft

So, the battery was your substitute for the kid? Hmm. Weird logic, but what
the heck, you got your letter.

Here's my logic. I did something to help out and I didn't view it as
any big deal. Now you come off as pompous with the snide attitude. How
do you know that by getting that comm link re-established, that no lives
may have been saved? Hell, even I don't know that. The point is, I
just did what needed to be done. So did you. You think you're a hero.
I don't view myself as a hero. I guess I'm just humble and you're not
(you can look up humility in the dictionary).

So, what exactly is YOUR point about the article?

Read the thread. You'll figure it out, sooner or later.

I guess I won't ever get it and you won't just come out and say it.
Makes me think you hope others won't get it and think you're a big hero
for what you must view as the one defining moment in your life. How
about those EMTs? They do everyday what you did once in your entire life.

I started out asking you about this and seriously was interested enough
in what you were trying to say. Now I could give a rat's ass less
because you couch your answers in riddles. One LAST chance to spell out
exactly what your point is...

Scott

Old December 31st 06, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

You're wasting your time. I asked hom the same thing. He gave me a
link to the article. Never would tell me what I was supposed to get
from the article. All I saw was his name in the article saying he did
his job well. Now he's a hero in the Marine Corp. Probably has a
statue at Cherry Point. Right in front of the women's latrine.

Scott

anon wrote:

Juan, you really see yourself as a hero, don't you?

You performed competently under pressure in the normal course of your job.
Your failure to perform could have had dire circumstances. I can think of
dozens of jobs that place people in similar situations as a matter of
routine, not just once in a career.

I believe your story and find it interesting. That said, I can't see how it
is career-defining or portrays you as anything other than competent in your
job. I don't see any heroics or courage and in your telling of the story,
you don't really paint of picture of building pressure prior to resolution.

Strangely, you ask us to check out Marine records to corroborate your story,
but you don't really offer any specifics or even tell us what specific
military records might corroborate your story. You like to throw out
near-impossible assignments for the class, don't you?

Maybe, you can help.

How were such missions documented and in what detail were they documented?
What military documents describe these events? Did you receive any
decorations, letters of appreciation, letters of recognition? Are these
events described in your fitrep?

"In fact, check out the records of a medevac mission in 1981 involving a mom
who had just given birth and was hemorraging, and the preemie to which she
had just given
birth."

Can you be more specific, as far as date?

"Then check out the comments of the (at the time, double-digit midget)
Vietnam-vet crew chief on the aircraft that took them from Cherry Point to
the main hospital at Lejeune."

Juan, on what document might we find these comments? If you know where
these events are documented, why don't you tell us?

Old December 31st 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

The story is this: At 9pm I was working night duty in the avionics shop.
We were scheduled to go home on standby at about that time and were about
to cleanup and turn in our tools when the hanglar claxon went off

Not sure about the MC, but in the Air Force, going on standby meant
things were slow and you didn't pull your entire shift sitting in the
shop...you went back to the dorms or the bowling alley with a pager so
they could get a hold of you if needed.

I checked the obvious things, and nothing, so I
turned around to my sidekick, the slowest kid in the shop,

I'm beginning to doubt THAT...

and asked him
if they had done anything to do the bird that day. Changed the APU, he
said. D-oh. Ok, did you check it when you were done rewiring it? No. No??
Did you bother to run it up? No. Why not? I'm not checked out. (It takes a
short check and two switches to turn on the APU on an CH-46A... that
should give you the picture.)

I'd say he did what was expected of him. It may have been a simple job,
but if he wasn't signed off for that and did it anyway, it would have
shown that he couldn't follow simple instructions and he could have
damaged the equipment and cost us taxpayers more money (which you
obviously don't care about). Yes, it should have been checked out, but
he should have asked you to do it since you were obviously checked out.
Since he appears to have been working on your shift, why was it that
YOU didn't know maintenance had been done to the unit? Were you
sleeping in the box room or blowing the unit commander?

The next day the Vietnam
vet crew chief (and senior crew chief in the squadron) told everyone in
the squadron I knew my **** down cold and he'd trust me to work on
anything with a wire on his bird. I already had the ability to do just
that, but that one compliment made my whole year. Doesn't happen very
often.

What doesn't happen very often? You do something right or you get
noticed for doing something right? So, you only had one worthwhile
moment in a whole year? With that average, you must have done 3 more
"incredible" things during your stint. Can you provide links for these
as well?

Within weeks I got my best eval ever and had my txfr request out of NC
approved, to California. The rest is history, and records from that day
will verify everything happened exactly as I state here.

If they loved you so much, you would think the CO would deny your
request to keep you around for all the other emergencies that came
up...I don't doubt that's exactly how it happened, but again, what's the
big deal?

And yes, both the mom and the child were OK, I just never heard from them
again.

After seeing this thread they probably blew their brains out from the
depression of knowing you were somehow minutely involved in their lives.

Old December 31st 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Scott wrote:

The story is this: At 9pm I was working night duty in the avionics
shop. We were scheduled to go home on standby at about that time and
were about to cleanup and turn in our tools when the hanglar claxon
went off

Not sure about the MC, but in the Air Force, going on standby meant
things were slow and you didn't pull your entire shift sitting in the
shop...you went back to the dorms or the bowling alley with a pager so
they could get a hold of you if needed.

Then again in the Air Force we had "hangars" instead of "hanglars"
and we'd get called over a radio or land line. We didn't need a klaxon
of that's what yawn meant when he said "claxon."

Pity he never served on Navy boats, he would have been heaved over
the side.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 31st 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Ousterhout

Juan Jimenez wrote:

Nah, for this I use a grade-school comeback generator on the web.

[SET SHUN JUAN MODE = OFF]

Juan, the evidence is overwhelming that you ARE a grade-school comeback
generator on the web.

[SET SHUN JUAN MODE = ON]

- John Ousterhout -
Old December 31st 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Pity he never served on Navy boats, he would have been heaved over the
side.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

IIRC he has told a story in the past, either on this NG or one of the
others, of being throw over board. He claims that's how men like him were
taught how to swim.

Problem is he wasn't smart enough to realize, they weren't trying to teach
him how to swim.

Old December 31st 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wmbjk

Default Looking silly in a flight suit

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:24:00 -0500, "anon" wrote:

Here is Juan looking silly in a fight suit.

http://www.bd5.com/videos/ntd-bd5j.wmv

A flight suit?! One would think that a guy selling a static display
should be dressed in a leisure suit with white shoes and belt. He
should probably snap this up http://tinyurl.com/wzds9 in case they ask
him to appear on a show about Tang. It's all too funny, and reminds me
of this http://youtube.com/watch?v=mPYjqtqiw-g.

Wayne
Old December 31st 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_1_]

One other thing I'd like to ask.

Who signed to aircraft log, returning the aircraft to service after
replacing the APU? That person should have been spanked for not testing
in accordance with tech data I'm sure was in place concerning
maintenance for that aircraft. The (avionics) shop chief (probably the
highest ranking NCO in your unit) should have lost a stripe for allowing
that to happen in the first place. You should have had your balls
flattened out in a vice because....well, just because.

I was authorized to sign equipment serviceable tags (yellow tags) and
sign off the aircraft for return to service (from the avionics
standpoint) as an E-3. I was also our midnight shift supervisor as an
E-3. How many did I supervise? One (me). Bottom line is I was able to
work alone, so I assume my shop chief had faith in my abilities.
[sarcasm mode on] Am I a hero? You betcha, cause I did my friggin'
job. [Sarcasm mode off].

Scott
USAF 513th Avionics Maintenance Squadron (which no longer exists)

Old December 31st 06, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
Pity he never served on Navy boats, he would have been heaved over the
side.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

IIRC he has told a story in the past, either on this NG or one of the
others, of being throw over board. He claims that's how men like him were
taught how to swim.

Problem is he wasn't smart enough to realize, they weren't trying to teach
him how to swim.

I don't know about other Navy boats but I have some time at sea on
helicopter assault boats like the Okinawa when I was in AF special ops.
I saw lots of places where someone like him could fall overboard.
Perhaps that's why he never went to sea.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired