A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

R2D2 robotic cameraman (soloshot)

Old November 29th 15, 03:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

Default R2D2 robotic cameraman (soloshot)

Looks like fun. This device keeps a camera pointed at a RF tag bearing target. You can mount the cameraman on one glider and point it at another.

http://shop.soloshot.com/ third generation coming soon.

Old November 29th 15, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 7:05:18 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Looks like fun. This device keeps a camera pointed at a RF tag bearing target. You can mount the cameraman on one glider and point it at another.

has anyone tried this? just aiming the camera is the hardest thing to do in air to air shots...
Old December 6th 15, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Werner Schmidt
external usenet poster

Matt Herron Jr. wrote on 2015/11/28 at 17:28:

On Saturday, November 28, 2015 at 7:05:18 PM UTC-8, son_of_flubber
wrote:
Looks like fun. This device keeps a camera pointed at a RF tag
bearing target. You can mount the cameraman on one glider and
point it at another.

has anyone tried this? just aiming the camera is the hardest thing
to do in air to air shots...

as to read from that site: "Film yourself with SOLOSHOT, the Robot
Cameraman. You wear the Tag, and the Base automatically pans, tilts &
zooms to keep you in the camera's shot up to 2,000 ft. away for over 3
hours. No line of sight required."

"up to 2,000 ft. away" may be not enough when you're going to take air
to air shots, I think.

regards
Werner
Old December 6th 15, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Casey Cox
external usenet poster

I wonder if the rotating mount has been tested in other than static position. Wind pressure could play a role in how accurate it is and how long the rotating mount lasts.

Buy it, test it out and give us a report.
Old December 6th 15, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA
external usenet poster

Something like this was on the dream list when we were shooting "CloudStreet: Soaring the American West." I tried building a camera gimbal that could be controlled and monitored from the camera ship (Stemme) cockpit, but without much success.

Saw the "Soloshot" and checked the website. I pre-ordered the Soloshot 3 Pro with the 65x 4K camera last week. Delivery is promised for Spring 2016. Hope it works in an aerial application, but even if it doesn't, the thing looks promising for many other scenarios.
Old December 6th 15, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 9:29:19 AM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
Something like this was on the dream list when we were shooting "CloudStreet: Soaring the American West." I tried building a camera gimbal that could be controlled and monitored from the camera ship (Stemme) cockpit, but without much success.

Saw the "Soloshot" and checked the website. I pre-ordered the Soloshot 3 Pro with the 65x 4K camera last week. Delivery is promised for Spring 2016. Hope it works in an aerial application, but even if it doesn't, the thing looks promising for many other scenarios.

Great! Looking forward to seeing your results and evaluation.

Seems like it would be a great teaching tool, for example to debrief glider landings. Relatively cheap and easy to deploy.
Old December 6th 15, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 6:29:19 AM UTC-8, Mark628CA wrote:

Soloshot 2 is not getting very good reviews for tracking or usability. Hopefully the three will be better. Since it uses GPS, I wonder if you could create your own version using flarm data from the two ships. Our GPS is probably better and faster. Flarm already calculates headings, etc. A little math to get the vector from one coordinate to another, then "Bob's your uncle".

Matt
Old December 10th 15, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]
external usenet poster

It seems there are no 3x gimbal available to mount a GoPro or other camera on a sailplane! There are numerous such gimbal units available for various drones but none seem to be standalone and instead must be attached to a drone for control, power and communication. Haven't found one that operates independent from drone and provides control and viewing on iPhone or other display. Might have to affix the complete drone, with gimbal and camera, to the sailplane! Hmmmm?!