Davis Flying Wing

Old June 10th 06, 10:34 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Default Davis Flying Wing

Anyone here ever speculate about building a flying wing like the one shown on this web page: http://www.twitt.org/DavisWing.html ?

Gilbert Davis crashed his prototype and broke his back due to a rubber belt driving the prop which lost some teeth resulting in complete loss of power and since then nothing that I can find has been built, not for experimental.

I'm interested in it, a modified version.

Last edited by Christopher : June 10th 06 at 08:37 PM.
Old June 10th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Christopher" wrote in message

Anyone here ever speculate about building a flying wing like the one
shown on this web page: http://www.twitt.org/DavisWing.html ?

[image:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h1...visWing_4.jpg]

Gilbert Davis crashed his prototype and broke his back due to a bad
rubber belt which lost some teeth resulting in complete loss of power
and since then nothing that I can find has been built, not for
experimental.

I'm interested in it, a modified version.

Christopher,

Davis was working on his wing at the Nampa airport when I moved here in
1988. He had completed a small single seat model with a 2 cycle engine and
was working on a two-place model.

The single place model was pleagued with engine problems. The engine failed
on several occasions in addition to the final belt drive failure. One
failure forced him to land in the Snake River. The last failure resulted in
a hard off-field landing near Boise's old Floating Feather airfield. Major
spinal enjuries resulted from this accident which ended his flying and
ability to continue the Davis Wing development.

His small quanset hut hangar was removed from the airport about two years
after the accident. I am not aware of Davis's current health status, or
the current location/status of his small flying wing.

Wayne

http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old June 10th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/body_nurflugel.html

http://www.nurflugel.com/Nurflugel/H...00/h_3000.html

http://www.horten-aircraft.com/home.php (=H 3000 etc. )

JP

"Christopher" wrote in

Old June 11th 06, 11:12 AM
Christopher Christopher is offline
Junior Member

Very nice! Thank you for the links. Yes, I heard his flying/building was done after that last accident, I tried to find him through long distance information, there are two Gilbert Davis' in or near Boise, Idaho but neither of them are the right guy.

He may not be alive anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP

Old July 3rd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gilan

Many people have built the U2 flying wing. My first instructor was a world
record holder flying the U2 flying Wing.
http://www.mitchellwing.com/meadowlake.htm

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group