ClearNav CNv Variometer News

Old December 12th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default ClearNav CNv Variometer News

http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario.html

Evan Ludeman for CNi
please see our forum for discussion of all things ClearNav
http://www.clearnav.net
Old December 12th 12, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_1_]

At 16:21 12 December 2012, Evan Ludeman wrote:
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario.html

Evan Ludeman for CNi
please see our forum for discussion of all things ClearNav
http://www.clearnav.net

The CN vario ADC includes a three axis magnetometer. How far
away from various sources of electromagnetic interference should
the ADC be installed to allow for present or future functions
requiring the magnetometer? I can't see any reference to this in
the manual or tech notes on the website.

John Galloway

Old December 12th 12, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, John Galloway wrote:
At 16:21 12 December 2012, Evan Ludeman wrote:

http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario.html

Evan Ludeman for CNi

please see our forum for discussion of all things ClearNav

http://www.clearnav.net

The CN vario ADC includes a three axis magnetometer. How far

away from various sources of electromagnetic interference should

the ADC be installed to allow for present or future functions

requiring the magnetometer? I can't see any reference to this in

the manual or tech notes on the website.

John Galloway

We have not published any guidelines on this. I expect we will at some future date. Guidelines will probably depend to a certain degree on how fussy we feel is practical and productive for our intended purpose(s). Magnetometers are somewhat notorious for being difficult in glider cockpits, so I doubt very much if we are going to go crazy here. Stay tuned.

Evan Ludeman for CNi
Old December 12th 12, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:33:45 PM UTC-5, John Galloway wrote:
... How far
away from various sources of electromagnetic interference should
the ADC be installed to allow for present or future functions
requiring the magnetometer? I can't see any reference to this in
the manual or tech notes on the website.

6 feet from the movable magnetized rudder pedals should do it.
Of course, I've seen a glider whose compass moved ~ 20 degrees
on retracting the landing gear (no kidding) !

Seriously, there are a lot of (not-demagnetized) movable
parts in the cockpit...

See ya, Dave
Old December 12th 12, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 5:27:25 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:

6 feet from the movable magnetized rudder pedals should do it.

Of course, I've seen a glider whose compass moved ~ 20 degrees

on retracting the landing gear (no kidding) !

I really like the idea (mentioned in another thread) of mounting your PDA on a Ram mount in front of the (required) compass.
Old December 12th 12, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Dec 12, 11:21*am, Evan Ludeman wrote:
http://www.clearnav.net/main/cn-vario.html

Evan Ludeman for CNi
please see our forum for discussion of all things ClearNavhttp://www.clearnav.net

What a surprise. There are some nice features on the new screens but
the speeds and altitudes are already present in the Club vario. Taking
away features that you guys already sold is not cool. I did not power
up my vario yet but based on the manual on your website when I bought
the vario I expected these features to be there. Now if for some
reasons I decide NOT to upgrade to XC version I am going to be missing
the features I already bought. Another thing that bothers me a little
bit that you specified 3 versions at first and now after some people
bought into it you say no we will only have 2 versions and buy the way
the version that was supposed to cost $1700 in August now costs $2250
since there is no other version, some people may not be very happy
about.

I am also not certain based on your pricing what it will now cost to
upgrade to XC for existing owner of the Display and CNv.
Old December 12th 12, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Andrzej,

I understand your points. However, another way to look at it is that you
paid either $900 or $1200 for a vario that is now worth $1550. The $1550
price is still a very good price for a speed-to-fly variometer with
non-IGC-approved logger. The fee to upgrade it to the top level version is
the difference between $1550 and $2250 ($700) which is similar to the
upgrade costs talked about all along. If you already own a ClearNav display
there are discounts on the upgrade.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old December 12th 12, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:05:37 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
[...]

Holy moly...

Nothing is "going away" that I know of. More likely is a typo or something in need of clarification....

This is the 2013 lineup. 2014 could well be different. You didn't think we were going to put rate gyros and accelerometers on board just to do whizzy cruise/climb switching, did you? We aren't going to be finished with this platform Mar 31, we're really just gettin' started.

Evan Ludeman for CNi

Old December 12th 12, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Dec 12, 6:27*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
[...]

Paul, if this is your point of view I don't want to be your customer.
Paul you are trying to tell folks that because price was raised to
$1550 and they only paid $1200 they should feel good about loosing
features, come on...

The point is very simple features were sold that are now being taken
away. This is very wrong! Regardless if I upgrade or not this is a
terrible business practice and if these features are not back in the
Club version I will NEVER buy another instrument from ClearNav. How
would you feel if after you applied software fix pack on your computer
features disappeared.

Old December 12th 12, 11:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Dec 12, 6:41*pm, Evan Ludeman wrote:
[...]

Evan, so why altitudes and speeds are not showing up in Club version
but only in XC version. I would suggest someone reviews content before
advertising to the world. I am only reacting to the data you guys
provided as a producer. I have to believe what I read.

So, please tell me what the real story is.