Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

Old May 19th 19, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Contest Class Development for Future Success - The Case fordeveloping the Handicapped Classes

I'm intrigued by the idea of eliminating the Sports Nats, which don't have a purpose other than getting the winner a bad photo published in Soaring...I suppose you could say the same for the 1-26 Nats but they're too hard core to quit!
Old May 19th 19, 10:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

I do quite like the handicapping they use in the F1.0 GP here in Aus.
The handicap is applied as a larger circle around the turnpoint/points in accordance with handicap.
This means speeds are directly comparable ‘off the stick”
Here from memory, we run
Multi class 15m 18m and open
Standard and Club class nationals.
Junior Nationals
20M Nationals.
Old May 19th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

It is time to end the Sports class and 13.5m in the US. We need to focus energy on improving the pilots we have in Club, Std, 15M, 18M and Open. We will have to see if 20M is a viable class as well. The turnout so far indicates there is not a large enough base to make it worth supporting.

The sports class serves no purpose other than a place for pilots to complete when they don't want to drive to their own nationals.

We would be better off with several handicapped contests, similar to Australia, held around the country so no one has to drive more than a day to complete in their own class.

The US process is unfriendly to those that work and have younger families. If we wish to improve the overall number of pilots that race and the quality of our pilots we need to stop pretending it is still 1960 and revise the entire process.

Old May 19th 19, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 3:25:37 AM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
I do quite like the handicapping they use in the F1.0 GP here in Aus.
The handicap is applied as a larger circle around the turnpoint/points in accordance with handicap.
This means speeds are directly comparable ‘off the stick”
Here from memory, we run
Multi class 15m 18m and open
Standard and Club class nationals.
Junior Nationals
20M Nationals.

I think your F1.0 GP along with the excellent tracking system is a great format! You guys are on to something there.

Mike
Old May 19th 19, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Well Tim, you are wrong below.

The sports class serves no purpose other than a place for pilots to complete when they don't want to drive to their own nationals.

The sports class also gives me in my DG400 a place to compete, as well as a number of other ships that don't fall into another class to compete.

Kevin
92
Old May 20th 19, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Actually Kevin,

The DG400 can fly in 15M, 18M and/or Club class. I don't see you signed up for the Sports Class Nationals.

Tim

Old May 20th 19, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Turnpoint cylinder based on handicap - sounds great!
Old May 20th 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 5:07:58 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Turnpoint cylinder based on handicap - sounds great!

Lake Keepit Soaring Club (home of the next WWGC) has been running handicapped GP events using this method for a while now. Entries from H201 to ASH25, and the result is fun.
The Formula 1.0 GP has taken it to another level.
Jim
Old May 20th 19, 10:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 6:45:44 PM UTC-5, Tim Taylor wrote:
Actually Kevin,

The DG400 can fly in 15M, 18M and/or Club class. I don't see you signed up for the Sports Class Nationals.

Tim

Not Club Class, Tim. Those with motors have now been removed from the approved list, even if they were within the range. Also, those in range but with greater than 15 meter span were removed from the US Club Class List.

Steve Leonard
Old May 21st 19, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The DG400 can fly in 15M, 18M and/or Club class. I don't see you signed up for the Sports Class Nationals.

No, Only home for DG400 and several other birds now is in Sports. The 400 at least in the east does not climb well in 15 meter, and unless it was a 15 meter handicap class, there would be no reason to enter a 15 meter race. You could "fly" in 15 meter, but certainly not compete.

As for Club Class, it is only 15 meter now and pure gliders.

Still working for a living, so having to settle for the Seniors, Perry, and upcoming Cordele, but I look forward to flying in the Sports Class Natiionals again. Have flown in two, but my work makes it difficult, if not impossible to fly something on the other side of the country, and unfortunately, many nationals are set up so you have to take 3 weeks vacation to make it work with my work, where we cannot take individual days.

Kevin