Thinking about stalls

Old March 13th 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

Default Thinking about stalls

Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?
Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

If you vote first it _may_ lead to some good discussion later...

Cheers
Old March 13th 08, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

WingFlaps wrote:
Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Waitaminute - how can a plane be in both conditions at the same time!?

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

But are they the same rates or different?
What are the angles of attack on the wings in both cases?
What are the indicated airspeeds - the same or different?

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?

The left one. I think. Except if it's a biplane and Tuesday, in which case
it would be the red one.

Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

The one whose condition was closer to stall.
;-)
Old March 13th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Mar 13, 1:41*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
WingFlaps wrote:
Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Waitaminute - how can a plane be in both conditions at the same time!?

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

But are they the same rates or different?
What are the angles of attack on the wings in both cases?
What are the indicated airspeeds - the same or different?

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?

The left one. I think. Except if it's a biplane and Tuesday, in which case
it would be the red one.

Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

The one whose condition was closer to stall.
;-)

Aha, too deep for you eh? :-P

Cheers

Old March 13th 08, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

WingFlaps wrote:
Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Waitaminute - how can a plane be in both conditions at the same
time!?

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

But are they the same rates or different?
What are the angles of attack on the wings in both cases?
What are the indicated airspeeds - the same or different?

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?

The left one. I think. Except if it's a biplane and Tuesday, in which
case

it would be the red one.

Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

The one whose condition was closer to stall.
;-)

Aha, too deep for you eh? :-P

Much too deep. But if you want a straight answer, I'd say a climbing plane
would be more likely to stall if a big updraft occurs. The plane's inertia
comes into play and causes the airflow to slow up over the wings (maybe
even reversing direction!?) coupled with the pilot's Hawaiian shirt all
conspire to cause the lift demons to depart. I least I think so.
Old March 13th 08, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

WingFlaps wrote:
[...]

conspire to cause the lift demons to depart. I least I think so.- Hide quoted text -

So, 1 vote for B1 and what about question A?

Cheers
Old March 13th 08, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

WingFlaps wrote:
Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.
Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?

So, 1 vote for B1 and what about question A?

I don't know. Maybe the angle of attack on the wings can be determined by
the information you provide for both conditions, but if so it is beyond my
limited capabilities. As it stands, I'm inclined to say you aren't
providing enough information to make an informed decision.
Old March 13th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Mar 12, 5:14 pm, WingFlaps wrote:
Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?
Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

If you vote first it _may_ lead to some good discussion later...

Cheers

The aircraft in climb will have the lower airspeed and therefore
the higher AOA. Lower airspeed means higher AOA to lift the same
weight. A cruising descent is a high airspeed, so AOA is much lower.
Both will be in a 1 G condition.
An updraft increases AOA, so the climbing airplane is closer to
stall. A cruising descent in the yellow arc, OTOH, might get the wings
torn off in a "big" updraft. Stall doesn't matter anymore.

Dan
Old March 13th 08, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 12, 7:14*pm, WingFlaps wrote:
Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?
Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

If you vote first it _may_ lead to some good discussion later...

Cheers

It would depend on the angle of attack. You could be in a very
shallow climb at full power, and have lots of margin above the stall.
On the other hand, you could be descending at 50% power in a very nose-
high attitude, and have very little margin above the stall. Plus,
there's the cost of the hamburger you are flying towards.

Phil

Old March 13th 08, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
WingFlaps

On Mar 13, 3:41*pm, wrote:
On Mar 12, 5:14 pm, WingFlaps wrote:

Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?
Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

If you vote first it _may_ lead to some good discussion later...

Cheers

* * * The aircraft in climb will have the lower airspeed and therefore
the higher AOA. Lower airspeed means higher AOA to lift the same
weight. A cruising descent is a high airspeed, so AOA is much lower.
Both will be in a 1 G condition.

OK... but is the climbing or descending wing generating the most
lift?

Old March 13th 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:14:17 -0700 (PDT), WingFlaps
wrote:

Hi All,

Imagine a plane in 2 conditions.

1) Climbing with full power
2) Descending fast with 50% power.

Both have constant rates of ascent and descent.

Question A: Which wing is closer to stall?
Question B: A big updraft occurs, which is more likely to stall?

If you vote first it _may_ lead to some good discussion later...

Cheers

Obviously #2. Any one should be able to see that.

Big John

Stalls?? Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 155 February 22nd 08 03:24 PM
why my plane stalls Grandss Piloting 22 August 14th 05 07:48 AM
Practice stalls on your own? [email protected] Piloting 34 May 30th 05 05:23 PM
Newbie Qs on stalls and spins Ramapriya Piloting 72 November 23rd 04 04:05 AM
Wing tip stalls mat Redsell Soaring 5 March 13th 04 05:07 PM