OUDIE

Old September 16th 16, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug C

Default OUDIE

Problems with my IPAQ and Volkslogger led to the recent upgrade of my B50-IPAQ-Winpilot-Pro system to an LXNAV S100 coupled to an inexpensive Android tablet running XCSOAR. I endorse Sean’s comments about the broad capabilities and good value of the LXNav S10/S100 vario. An additional advantage is the built-in Bluetooth which allows simple and direct transfer of the S100 vario information to the tablet. The S100-Android coupled system works beautifully and the support provided by LXNAV has been outstanding. One disadvantage of the new system is that the learning curve for using the S100 plus XCSOAR is more challenging than the well-integrated Winpilot system.. The S100 thermal centering system works very well, but I prefer the more intuitive Winpilot display, now adopted for the CN NAV vario, over the ring of colored spots used by the S100. This preference obviously reflects my prior use of Winpilot Pro for the past 16 years. I am very satisfied with my S100-XCSOAR system.
Old September 16th 16, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mardi 13 septembre 2016 11:08:24 UTC-4, a écritÂ*:
Hi
The thermal-assistant in my Oudie 2 is very helpfull when thermals are weak and
disorganize. Now my Oudie 2 is not connected to my vario. But it could.
My question is would it make a difference on the thermal-assistant if I connect
the Oudie to my smart vario?
For the purist out there I know all the other information I am not getting by
not connecting the two instrument.

Thank you
Gilles

Hi
When I started this tread,I said I like my Oudie thermal assistant when thermal are broken or on blue days, it help make a mental picture of the situation.
I was looking for a way to improve this by connecting the Oudie to my Cleanav vario. From what I read I am not convince upgrading from CNv club to CNv x/c will improved my thermal assistant.
Thank all for responding
Gilles

help
Old September 17th 16, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 2:21:06 PM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Gilles,
Check with CN about compatibility with SYM. An upgrade, depending on cost, could be a waste and you could put the $$$ toward a fully featured vario that is compatible. Best of luck in your search.

Old September 17th 16, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_4_]

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:00:14 AM UTC-4, Matt Johnston wrote:
Sorry to hijack slightly but to those of you who own an Oudie would
you recommend it? I'm looking to buy one early next year as I need a
navigation unit that I can easily transfer between gliders.

Yes I would. I have one and like it very much. Its provides me with all the info I need, allows me to customize my screen and is very durable.

I first tried the Dell streak/XC soar but the streak is very vulnerable to breaking with that crazy 32 pin plug right at your knee.

Dennis

Old September 17th 16, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

As I've said many times before, I love my Streak/XCSoar, but I have to
second the point about the 32-pin plug. My solution to that is to mount
the Streak or Oudie or Kobo, etc. on a stalk on the panel or canopy rail
and not remove the connector from the unit. Any connector that is
repeatedly removed/reconnected will eventually fail. I've even
considered epoxying the connector to the unit but not yet... Heck, I
just got a brand new Streak for $55...

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 17th 16, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 9/17/2016 6:53 AM, HGXC wrote:
On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 11:00:14 AM UTC-4, Matt Johnston wrote:
Sorry to hijack slightly but to those of you who own an Oudie would
you recommend it? I'm looking to buy one early next year as I need a

there is a new Dell Streak on eBay right now with a buy it now price of $31.99. What a steal!

Old September 17th 16, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, September 16, 2016 at 4:21:06 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hi Gilles. I have a CNv with digital display, x/c. I use an Oudie Lite running XC Soar. I connect with the Cumulus Soaring cable ( Cable-CNv-Oudie-0p1Cable - ClearNav CNv Variometer to Oudie Power/Data Cable ). With this, I gain a much better GPS to XC Soar. I also gain pressure altitude from the vario sensor, IAS (from static and pitot pressue) and OAT (I have the optional OAT sensor), which make wind calculation better (since TAS is a wind input, rather than algorithmic guess). I can't speak to SYM's thermal assistant since I don't use it (but I have found it frustrating to configure compared to XC Soar, when helping others who bought them with SYM).

I am very happy with the performance of the Oudie, connected, running XC Soar.

I'd suggest at least getting the cable and connecting the Oudie. Not expensive, and your inputs to SYM will be much better; better inputs = better wind velocity; better wind velocity will probably make SYM's TA work better.. $45USD when I got mine this spring. You do need the RJ45 coupler that came in the Oudie box to connect it.

I love my CNv with digital display, and in particular, the CNv Thermal Assistant. I expect that having good wind inputs will make wave flying at Lake Placid to be somewhat easier...

Dan
2D - GGC
Old September 18th 16, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Le mardi 13 septembre 2016 11:08:24 UTC-4, a écritÂ*:
Hi
The thermal-assistant in my Oudie 2 is very helpfull when thermals are weak and
disorganize. Now my Oudie 2 is not connected to my vario. But it could.
My question is would it make a difference on the thermal-assistant if I connect
the Oudie to my smart vario?
For the purist out there I know all the other information I am not getting by
not connecting the two instrument.

Thank you
Gilles

Hi Dan
I am aware of the possible solution.
I bought my CNvario before CN decided to support the digital version.
All I need is a connection to my Oudie. What the Oudie provide is good enough for me. I am looking to improve the thermal assistant.
The X/C version offer many feature like a approved logger ...etc.
I do not need a 3rd logger. Adding a digital is a solution, and now I have 3 of everything not considering the invesment in $$$.
My enthousiasm to support CN early is playing againts me.
A message to CN made it clear not to expect anything for the analog display owner.
Good wave in Lake Placid
Regards
Gilles
Old September 19th 16, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Sunday, September 18, 2016 at 10:12:26 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hi Gilles. I didn't say you needed the X/C version, or the digital display. You connect the Oudie power and data cable to the serial port on the Air Data Computer, with the cable. It should feed the inputs to the Oudie and SYM.

I left Placid last year just before the 3 days of wave (my turn to cook Thanksgiving dinner). Fingers crossed for this year.

Dan

Oudie IGC Dave Springford Soaring 4 November 12th 13 09:52 PM
Oudie Peter von Tresckow Soaring 2 December 18th 11 02:31 PM
Oudie and 302 Stephen[_3_] Soaring 9 November 2nd 11 06:07 AM
Oudie Steve Hunt Soaring 2 July 8th 11 12:19 AM
oudie Steve Hunt[_2_] Soaring 0 July 7th 11 08:58 AM