Boring airliners?

Old April 28th 05, 02:44 PM
CV

Matt Whiting wrote:

Dylan Smith wrote:

Now the A380 is surely a marvel of modern engineering, as is the Boeing
7E7 (787? Dreamliner?).

But fundamentally...it's yet another tube with wings with two or four
engines on pylons below the wings. I'm really disappointed that Boeing
dropped the Sonic Cruiser, a much more interesting proposition.

Yes, but interesting doesn't pay the bills in the airliner business.

.... they have a lot Toulouse ...

CV
Old April 28th 05, 03:00 PM
Paul kgyy

Most passengers don't want to think about the fact of flying. Close
the window shades, watch the movie, drink the booze, pretend you're at
home. Not a lot of room for interesting design in this concept, unless
you could make the plane look like a suburban house with wings. Too
bad it has to be a tube...

Old April 28th 05, 03:07 PM
Stefan

Greg Farris wrote:

I agree. The French often get screwed up when they invent "English" names.

You seem to miss that Airbus is *not* a French company. And the Brits
tend to be at least as sensible for connotations as the Yanks.

"Airbus" doesn't sound like the most technologically advanced airliner in
the world.

It sounds exactly like what airliners are today: Nothing adventurous,
nothing fancy, just simple and safe transport.

Stefan
Old April 28th 05, 03:09 PM
Stefan

Greg Farris wrote:

I agree. The French often get screwed up when they invent "English" names.

You seem to miss that Airbus is *not* a French company. And the Brits
tend to be at least as sensible for connotations as the Yanks.

"Airbus" doesn't sound like the most technologically advanced airliner in
the world.

It sounds exactly like what airliners are today and what most people are
looking for: Nothing adventurous, nothing fancy, just simple and safe
transport.

Stefan
Old April 28th 05, 03:11 PM
James

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dylan Smith wrote:

Now the A380 is surely a marvel of modern engineering, as is the Boeing
7E7 (787? Dreamliner?).

It's a marvel of modern ugliness...it looks hydrocephlic.

Kind of looks like a 747 that had taken too many steroids!!
Old April 28th 05, 03:52 PM
Jay Honeck

It's an impressive bird. I'm looking forward to seeing it at OSH
someday...

What else can be said?

Not sure it can land there. I read that it's so heavy, only a few
airports in the US can take it.

Interesting. I read somewhere that it's actually rather "light on its feet"
because it has so many wheels...

Of course, that doesn't change the overall weight -- but it should allow it
to operate out of Wittman. (Heck, a C-5 Galaxy had no trouble -- nor did
that even bigger Soviet Antonov...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 03:54 PM
Jay Honeck

It sounds exactly like what airliners are today and what most people are
looking for: Nothing adventurous, nothing fancy, just simple and safe
transport.

Speaking of safety -- I wonder if the A380 has a composite rudder?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Stefan

Jay Honeck wrote:

Speaking of safety -- I wonder if the A380 has a composite rudder?

Certainly. And I guess you can crash the A380 like any other plane if
you really want to and act accordingly.

Stefan
Old April 28th 05, 04:15 PM
Jay Honeck

Speaking of safety -- I wonder if the A380 has a composite rudder?

Certainly. And I guess you can crash the A380 like any other plane if you
really want to and act accordingly.

I wonder if they've addressed the rudder pedal boost, which was apparently
much more sensitive than necessary?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 05, 04:25 PM
Dylan Smith

In article G67ce.31010$NU4.15176@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
Certainly. And I guess you can crash the A380 like any other plane if you
really want to and act accordingly.

I wonder if they've addressed the rudder pedal boost, which was apparently
much more sensitive than necessary?

In the A380? Only at most 4 people in the world have actually
manipulated the controls in-flight. Since they are testing the plane, if
the rudder pedal boost is too sensitive - well, that's the point of test
flights to work out these sorts of bugs.

All technologies have their problems - we've had one A300 go down due to
a lost tail, but we've also had two B737s go down due to unexplained
rudder hard-overs. Overall, both Boeing's and Airbus's records are
outstanding.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net