Oh, he's good...

Old February 11th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default Oh, he's good...

Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in news:jPSdnQVqtcu-
:
You knew Dick Schramm? Cool!

Most of the time I did this I was flying barefoot anyway....

Bertie

Knew both Sr. and Jr. Both were great guys. Dick Jr. was on the

mike
narrating for Dick when he was killed.
He was probably one of the finest sticks ever with a light plane.
It was a freak accident, and I used it in my "Importance of
Preflight Inspections" safety talks for many years.

I don't know how it happened, in fact. My father saw it and came

home
talking a buch of BS about how it was a result of that fake stick
thing he used to do, and in fact I heard that story from the usual
suspects for years afterwards, but I alwyas thought it sounded like
BS.

Bertie

The way we got it was that Dick used to "borrow" a J3 from Red Bank
when he was doing the clown act at Reading. I believe it was their
airplane that day that he was using.
Apparently they had used it the day before for a photo shoot and had
taken the rear stick out of the airplane to accommodate that

mission.
When the stick was put back into the airplane after the photo shoot,
whoever put it back apparently forgot to replace the lower cotter

pin
that safties it in the bracket.
Dick was doing one of his low altitude loops and had just gone

through
the upper energy gate and was starting down the back side when the
stick came out of the bracket. He had 0 control at that point. I

swear
I saw him trying to put it back in the bracket (of course we had no
way of knowing this was what he was doing at the time).
He went straight in. Never had a chance. Dick Jr. was on the mike

and
I don't know how in hell he got through it but he kept his cool and
tried to quiet everyone down. We both knew it was bad.
Anyway, that's what happened.

Oh. OK. That's what I heard, in fact.
Dick is remembered fondly in the aerobatic and demonstration
community. There is an award in his name and he is probably the only
person ever to be made an honorary Naval Aviator without going

through
Naval Flight training. A wonderful guy, and a great pilot. Never had

bad word for anyone about anyone.
The cotter pin should have been checked secured before the display

but
for some unknown reason it was missed.

Jesus.
I don't think the rear stick on a J-3 comes out. Maybe they do but

I'm
guessing the airplane was modded. Some of the tugs I flew had no rear
stick and no rear rudder pedals, but they were heavily modified.

Bertie

I've never actually seen the lower attach bracket on that stick. This
plane might very well have been modified because it was our
understanding that they used it for aerial photography in normal
operation. I would imagine that would be a 337 if so.

Can't really see why piper would have made it removable.

Bertie

Old February 11th 08, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 10, 10:27*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote :

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Bertie- Hide quoted text -

I know that the left seat controls for the Robinson R22 helicopters
are removable with a button not unlike a button on an umbrella.

Wil
Old February 11th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

William Hung wrote in
:

On Feb 10, 10:27*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote
innews:evydnYBenbEiMTLanZ2dnUV

:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

Yeah, a lot of airplanes have easily removeable sticks. Ordinarialy
they're removable with a bolt through a sleeve, but I can't remember the
cub having one. I did fly one with no rear stick but it had been
modified for towing and had no rear seat and no rear rudder pedals
either. The nub of th erear stick was there since that's where all the
cetral parts of the control system were. The bottom part of the stick
was also the aileron horn, for instance.

Bertie
Old February 11th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 10, 10:25*pm, William Hung wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:10*pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

William Hung wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:02 pm, wrote:
On Feb 10, 9:23 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

William Hung wrote in news:d5ad9f37-e01f-4e0b-9aad-
:
On Feb 10, 11:11 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
William Hung wrote in news:b91186d4-fa32-498d-
ac70-
:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FCWFMJaBLl0&feature=related
While "researching" stol aircrafts, I came across this.
Wil
This is actualy pretty easy to do in a lot of taildraggers,
especially a
cub. Just a bit of brake against power with some forward stick. You
can
taxi around all day like this.
Bertie
Keeping the tail off the ground? I suppose it is even easier in a
tricycle geared ones. lol
True!
in some of those I've taxied with the nosewheel off the ground, though!
Inches from a prop-strike, seconds from a prop-strike. *I wonder how
many engines he had to have torn down before he got that good.
Like I said, it's easy. *Anyone could do it in a cub with only a little
practice. If it starts to go too far you release the brakes and it sits
down. It's as simple as that. It's lots lots lots easier than it looks.
One problem is that you have a good bit of power on, especially at very
low speeds and your prop is down near the ground where it can pick up
grit.
Bertie
* * * * *I learned to stop the 185 really short doing just this. And
taxied the old Auster like that. Not as hard as it looks, but you sure
gotta be careful. My Jodel, on the other hand, is really finely
balanced, rather light in the tail, and I've never had the nerve to do
it. Maybe this spring:-)
* * * * *The taildragger's CG is usually 15° behind the main axles.
Picking up the tail of a taildragger, you can hoist it over your head
so that it's pointing down at 15° or so, and it'll balance there. Prop
horizontal so it doesn't get stabbed into the pavement. With the
brakes on and engine run up, it's easy enough to keep the tail from
rising to that level.

* * * * Dan- Hide quoted text -

I'll take y'alls' word for it. *Damned if I'll risk a prop strike at
my level of experience to find out how easy it is first hand. lol *It
isn't only the *price of a new prop that concerns me, it is that and
the rpice of the engine tear down.

Wil

Well....that's plan B......and could very well be necessary. A prop
strike can do serious things inside an engine.
You just discovered the first rule of display flying. It's not a
business where you make a mistake, step back ten yards and punt. The
thing is....you don't get the prop strike to begin with. If you do, you
shouldn't be there.

--
Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

One day in the future Dudley.

Here's a good video of an L4 doing a high tail taxi after a side slip
landing all the way down to a touch down. *I really ant a STOL NOW.

Wil- Hide quoted text -

Woopsie, furgit the link. Here it tis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW8GR...eature=related

Wil
Old February 11th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

William Hung wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Try the Porter. Expensive but operates off the surface of a dime :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 11th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Don't know if you saw this one as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A2BPcurREpo&feature=related

Bertie
Old February 11th 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
[...]

It might very well have been done in the field. This particular Cub was
used for photo shoots by the FBO as well as a rental, so it makes sense
they would have done a 337 on the stick. Anyone shooting from the back
seat with several cameras would find a stick in their way for sure.
I've had photographers show up with so many cameras they could pass for
a Japanese tourist :-)

--
Dudley Henriques
Old February 11th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

William Hung wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:02 pm, wrote:
[...]

Oh yeah, I've seen them (videos). Here's a couple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jFm3...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzhrvq7V6W0

My pocket's no where near that deep.

Wil
Old February 11th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
William Hung[_2_]

On Feb 10, 10:46*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Don't know if you saw this one as well.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=A2BPcurREpo&feature=related

Bertie

I've been to the show, The Flying Circus, several years ago Bertie,
Bealton, VA. Thanks for the link, brings back memories.

Wil
Old February 11th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Try the Porter. Expensive but operates off the surface of a dime :-)

--
Dudley Henriques-

Some of ya'll seem to have flown so many aircraft.

It's insanely expensive today. I see $90 per hour for a 1975 150 M
Commutor, $115 - 125 for a 172R, and $145 for a C182RG.

I haven't asked what the taildragger costs down the way.

I don't know many people who earn that much per hour, that's for sure.
So some guy earning $30 bucks an hour these days gets to do three
hours of labor to have one hour of joy in a 30 year old 150. It's
enough to make you weep.

Well, f0k it. Gonna build something. Soon.

Good By Roger Long Piloting 16 March 9th 06 02:28 AM
Good-bye, My Good Friend Capt.Doug Home Built 2 August 12th 05 02:47 AM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
Good Good America Chris Mark Military Aviation 4 July 9th 04 05:25 PM
good-bye franck jeamourra Owning 0 December 2nd 03 07:51 AM