Ground vehicles and talking to the tower

Old January 20th 05, 10:28 PM
Ben Hallert

Default Ground vehicles and talking to the tower

Hi guys,

A friend an I were stuck in traffic next to Santa Monica airport. I
looked over and saw the gate leading into the airport, and I joked to
my friend that if we had a transceiver, we could drive up to the runup,
then call SMO ground and request transition across the runway to the
lower southeast gate, shaving something like 10-15 minutes off our
drive (remarkably bad traffic that night).

It was just a funny distraction, but it made me wonder if anyone had
ever heard of someone doing something like that or equally silly.
Regards,

Ben

Old January 20th 05, 10:34 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi guys,

A friend an I were stuck in traffic next to Santa Monica airport. I
looked over and saw the gate leading into the airport, and I joked to
my friend that if we had a transceiver, we could drive up to the runup,
then call SMO ground and request transition across the runway to the
lower southeast gate, shaving something like 10-15 minutes off our
drive (remarkably bad traffic that night).

It was just a funny distraction, but it made me wonder if anyone had
ever heard of someone doing something like that or equally silly.
Regards,

I used to drive across the field to EAA chapter meetings. I'd park
temporarily at a gate, walk through the FBO to the other side of the gate,
open it, drive through to the ramp and call the tower for clearance with my
handheld.

Old January 20th 05, 11:39 PM
Robert M. Gary

Ben Hallert wrote:
Hi guys,

A friend an I were stuck in traffic next to Santa Monica airport. I
looked over and saw the gate leading into the airport, and I joked to
my friend that if we had a transceiver, we could drive up to the

runup,
then call SMO ground and request transition across the runway to the
lower southeast gate, shaving something like 10-15 minutes off our
drive (remarkably bad traffic that night).

It was just a funny distraction, but it made me wonder if anyone had
ever heard of someone doing something like that or equally silly.

I've "taxied" my Toyota from the tie down to the hanger at Saramento
Exec at one point. The ground controller I spoke with on the way out
was cool with it. The controller on duty by the time I came back was
less interested.
-Robert

Old January 20th 05, 11:53 PM
Morgans

"Robert M. Gary" wrote silly.

I've "taxied" my Toyota from the tie down to the hanger at Saramento
Exec at one point. The ground controller I spoke with on the way out
was cool with it. The controller on duty by the time I came back was
less interested.
-Robert

At Osh, they are pretty demanding that you have a blinking yellow light on
top of your vehicle, anytime you are on an active taxiway or runway.

Not so everywhere?
--
Jim in NC

Old January 21st 05, 04:48 AM
mindenpilot

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Robert M. Gary" wrote silly.

I've "taxied" my Toyota from the tie down to the hanger at Saramento
Exec at one point. The ground controller I spoke with on the way out
was cool with it. The controller on duty by the time I came back was
less interested.
-Robert

At Osh, they are pretty demanding that you have a blinking yellow light on
top of your vehicle, anytime you are on an active taxiway or runway.

Not so everywhere?
--
Jim in NC

Here at Minden, no one even pays attention.
I always park my car right next to my tie-down.
Comes in especially handy at night.
I shine the car lights on the plane for pre/post flight inspection.
I love small airports ;-)

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old January 21st 05, 04:55 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"mindenpilot" wrote in message

Here at Minden, no one even pays attention.
I always park my car right next to my tie-down.
Comes in especially handy at night.
I shine the car lights on the plane for pre/post flight inspection.
I love small airports ;-)

Minden Tahoe? When did it acquire a control tower?

Old January 21st 05, 07:32 PM
Hamish Reid

In article .com,
"Ben Hallert" wrote:

Hi guys,

A friend an I were stuck in traffic next to Santa Monica airport. I
looked over and saw the gate leading into the airport, and I joked to
my friend that if we had a transceiver, we could drive up to the runup,
then call SMO ground and request transition across the runway to the
lower southeast gate, shaving something like 10-15 minutes off our
drive (remarkably bad traffic that night).

It was just a funny distraction, but it made me wonder if anyone had
ever heard of someone doing something like that or equally silly.

I've *walked* across runway 27L (not the smallest or idlest of runways)
several times to and from the old inter-runway runup area at Oakland
(KOAK) with mock clearances from OAK North Field tower. (I was a judge
for a Saturday morning spot landing contest on 27L a few years ago and
owned the handheld we were using to coordinate it all with tower. For
the rest of the morning tower would keep pointing us out to traffic on
27R with a series of running gags about the lunatics on 27L attempting
the first human-powered flight from a running start (with the usual
anonymous on-air comments from the Kaiser bizjet guys across the field
like "Flap harder, guys!"), etc. -- Oakland tower tends to be a bit like
that...).

Hamish
Old January 21st 05, 09:22 PM
gatt

"Ben Hallert" wrote in message

It was just a funny distraction, but it made me wonder if anyone had
ever heard of someone doing something like that or equally silly.

I've heard somebody call tower from a vehicle to use a taxiway not too long
ago (instead of talking to ground.)

More recently I heard an incoming call to tower asking the controller to
call a cab for the passenger. Like the controller of an airfield with
three flight schools and students in the pattern has nothing better to do
than call a cab for somebody.

-c

Old January 25th 05, 09:32 PM
gatt

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

I've "taxied" my Toyota from the tie down to the hanger at Saramento
Exec at one point.

Sheesh. Reminds me of the first time I took my wife up in a 152. Because
of the arrangement of the vehicular exit gate by the tiedowns, I found
myself taxiing with an SUV in front of me and and SUV on my tail. Had to
wait in line while first vehicle opened the gate to the terminal parking
lot.

No matter where I go, I get stuck in traffic. :

-c