Right seat flying

Old May 2nd 04, 07:28 AM
running with scissors

Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .158...
(running with scissors) wrote in
om:

From: Anthony Acri )
Subject: Right Seat Flying

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right
seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up
for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my
instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

There are regulations pertaining to this, and if you are indeed doing
your instructors rating you should have gained a reasonable knowledge
of the FAR's and furthermore have an understaning of CRM.

Please cite the paragraph number of this regulation that pertains to right
seat flying.

read the FAR's and the AFM.

as we are all aware, many GA aircraft are equipped with "dual"
controls and instumentation, however, depending on the aircraft the
left seat is configured as the primary control station, with
reduced/limited access from the right seat, limited further if a body
is in that seat, limited even further if it is occupied by a non
pilot.

Which aircraft are you talking about? Most small GA aircraft (skyhawks,
cherokees, arrows, archers, skylanes, centurians...) do not make a
distinction between left and right seat. Some aircraft do say that (the
Katana DA-20), but they are the exception rather than the rule.

many GA aircraft are configured with a preference for access to
systems/controls from the left seat, as well you know. seeing as you
want an example, many aircraft have the main wheel braking on the left
side only with steering on the right.

so again, what purpose would it serve to position a non pilot in the
left seat and place yourself in the right seat, why would you want to
limit access to full control of the aircraft.

The left seat provides full access to the controls in most small GA
aircraft.

uh huh. which doesnt answer my question.

you may be able to find a loophole in the FAR's, renters policy or
insurance requirements to allow you to do this "legally", though even
posing the question indicates a complete failure to understand CRM and
lack of professionalism. if i found one of my pilots acting in this
manner he would never be in one of my cockpits again forthwith.

You don't need a loop hole.

when the aircraft departs the runway left right or off the end
following touchdown because a non flying passenger was in the left
seat and didnt know how to brake or had his feet on the brakes, or
blows a main because a non flying passenger had his toes on the brakes
on landing, or stamped on the brakes after being asked to brake, you
better start reading the FAR's, the AFM, the renters agreement, the
insurance smallprint, because a few people wont be too happy.

It is perfectly legal to fly from the right

i didnt say it wasnt.

seat unless the manufacturer or insurance company specifies differently.

exactly.

Sounds like you own a flying business, hence your reference to 'my pilots'.
It is your business if you want to set a company policy not to fly solo
from the right seat.

there is no reason for it, only detriment.

But expecting everyone follow your understanding of
CRM displays poorly on your understanding of how the GA world operates.

nope. CRM is CRM. i have a pretty good understanding of how the GA
world operates thanks.
Old May 2nd 04, 07:33 AM
running with scissors

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...
(running with scissors) wrote

you may be able to find a loophole in the FAR's, renters policy or
insurance requirements to allow you to do this "legally", though even
posing the question indicates a complete failure to understand CRM and
lack of professionalism. if i found one of my pilots acting in this
manner he would never be in one of my cockpits again forthwith.

As if your posting name didn't say enough about you, your entire post
says that you are either very inexperienced or lacking in confidence
in yourself and other pilots. It's been years since I have flown from
the left seat of a general aviation aircraft. A few years back when I
was flying 12-13 year old "Young Eagles", I never sat in the left seat,
and as a matter-of-fact, very seldom touched the controls.

The CFI who did my last Flight Review was amused when I flew the entire
flight including the instrument portion from the right seat of a C-172.

Bob Moore

you are missing the whole point of the post. the original poster
stated that it was sightseeing flight and it was a passenger, zero
experience, who would be in the left seat and the poster was not a
rated instructor.

if you want to get into character assassination, then go ahead. call
me what you want.
Old May 2nd 04, 08:05 AM
Dave S

running with scissors wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote in message .158...

(running with scissors) wrote in
.com:

From: Anthony Acri )

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right

seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up

for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my

instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

There are regulations pertaining to this, and if you are indeed doing
your instructors rating you should have gained a reasonable knowledge
of the FAR's and furthermore have an understaning of CRM.

Please cite the paragraph number of this regulation that pertains to right
seat flying.

read the FAR's and the AFM.

You are the one saying there is a rule when everyone else says
otherwise.. Show us the regulation.. chapter and verse, or conceed that
it doesnt exist.

Dave

Old May 2nd 04, 01:22 PM
Teacherjh

the question i asked is what is the reason for placing a passenger in
the left seat. any CFI who placed a student with zero experience or
no ability in aircraft in a position of spin recovery or unusual
attitude in IMC would hardly be considered responsible.

Geez... what is the reason for placing a passenger in the RIGHT seat? I mean,
it has fully functioning controls, the passenger could easily place the
aircraft in a position of spin recovery or unucual attitude in IMC.

Jose

Old May 2nd 04, 02:22 PM
Matt Whiting

From: Anthony Acri )

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

Does anybody know if there is any regulations about flying from the

right

seat? Would like to flyi from the right seat while taking some

people up

for sightseeing. Have been flying from the right when I have been

doing my

instructors courses.

Thanks

As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

You might be helping a student pilot work on some procedures in between
their lessons. I went back and re-read Amy's article and she did say
student pilot, however, I don't see why it matters whether the left seat
occupant is a student pilot or a non-pilot. I've never come across an
FAR that says I can't fly from the right seat, no matter who is in the
left seat or whether it is empty.

Matt

matt there was no mention of instruction. the poster stated it was
for a sightseeing flight and he was not a rated instructor.

I am the original poster in this thread and I made no mention of
sightseeing.

Matt

Old May 2nd 04, 02:23 PM
Matt Whiting

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...

[...]

You've now made this incorrect assertion at least three times. You may
want to review the thread before making such bold statements.

Matt

Old May 2nd 04, 02:25 PM
Brad Z

See #1 again.

"running with scissors" wrote in
message m...
"Brad Z" wrote in message

"running with scissors" wrote

in
message om...
As a question, why would you want to place a passenger in the left
seat? what purpose would it serve ?

A few that come to mind...

1) For aerial photography flights in aircraft with only left opening

windows
2) Returning to base with an inop PTT button on the left yoke
3) attaching a yoke mounted GPS so that it doesn't block the instruments
directly in front of you on the panel
4) Demo-ing an aircraft to a potential buyer (who may not even be rated

yet)

the poster stated it was in providing a sightseeing service and
placing a non flying passenger in the right seat.

Old May 2nd 04, 05:08 PM
Rich Ahrens

Bob Moore wrote in message .8...

[...]

Leaving aside the fact that the original poster made no such statement,
what do you suppose those Young Eagle flights were if not sightseeing?
Old May 2nd 04, 09:57 PM
Rod Madsen

How about an instructor whose instructor certificate has just expired but
who is more comfortable in the right seat?

Rod
From: Anthony Acri )

Date: 2001-12-11 03:21:43 PST

[...]

The National Lake Eutrophication Survey 1971-1973 Badwater Bill Home Built 18 June 16th 04 02:27 AM
Seat cushion Ernest Christley Home Built 14 August 5th 03 07:16 PM
Seat cushions Big John Home Built 3 July 31st 03 10:59 PM
seeking info from NW Ontario/ Upper Midwest Pilots flying intoAtikokan David Megginson Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 9th 03 03:04 PM