Winterizing The Hangar

Old November 16th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

Default Winterizing The Hangar

There is a mail order "surplus" house somewhere around Chicago that had
cargo 'chutes by the millions a few years ago. They used to have a cheap
wood pulp catalog made famous by a male deer cut in half on the front page
saying "cover price, half a buck". ANybody remember what this outfit's name
is/was?

Jim

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

Good idea! Any idea where I can get old parachutes anymore?

Old November 16th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Ken Reed wrote:

What do you guys do to keep your hangar warm, animal and snow free?

Just one thing:

I live in Arizona. It works amazingly well !
---
Ken Reed
M20M, N9124X

Oh, that's rough!

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old November 16th 06, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
john smith

Montblack-in-the-saddle-again

HEY!!! Paul's back!
So many stories, so much time.
I am certain he will catch us up this winter.
Old November 17th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

I just looked up an invoice for a building we did last summer. It was about
$0.25 per square foot for 3" on 200,000 sq ft.

That's almost as bad as I thought it would be. Dang, that stuff is
expensive!

Of course, it's the most God-awful stuff to work with in the whole
world. Get it on your skin, and it's THERE, for weeks. Get it on your
clothes, and throw 'em away. I can't imagine working with it in an
industrial, large-scale setting.

I'll bet a lot of that expense is the labor.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

labor and equipment. Everything , including the floor has to be covered in
heavy plastic. Then the liquid, which comes in 55 gallon drums, is mixed
then pumped into a machine that heats it then pressurizes it through an
insulated hose to a spray nozzle. They show up with two semi trailers full
of stuff. Cat engines driving screw compressors and generators to run the
heaters and the pumps. Nozzles plug often and require cleaning. At the end
of each day it takes hours to clean all the equipment. Like you say, the
stuff is terrible to work with. Anything you get it on is ruined or
insulated.
Jim

ups.com...

Old November 17th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Montblack

("Jay Honeck" wrote)
I just looked up an invoice for a building we did last summer. It was
about $0.25 per square foot for 3" on 200,000 sq ft.

That's almost as bad as I thought it would be. Dang, that stuff is
expensive!

(approx)
40' x 30' = 1,200 sq-ft footprint

Side wall ....30'(long) x 12'(high) = 360 sq ft
Side wall ....30'(long) x 12'(high) = 360 sq ft
Back wall ...40'(long) x 12'(high) = 480 sq ft
Ceiling (?) 40' x 30' ish.......... = 1,200 sq ft

Total sq ft area = 2,400 sq ft
@ $0.25/sq foot = $600

Offer them the whole $600 ..."IF"...they'll double up (and go 6 inches) on
the ceiling - since 3" or 6" doesn't matter (much) at that point,
considering: prep, clean up, drive time, advertising, paperwork, materials,
inventories, insurance, maintenance, payroll, deposits, etc. get factored
into "the job". Forgot one - taxes. g

Now, you'll need to do something about that floor!

Let's see. The floor: 1,200 sq ft.

Plywood/particle board (37.5) sheets @ $10/sheet = $400
(2x4) or (2x3) x 8' sleeper boards @ $1.50 each = $250

Sleeper boards (flat) on 12" centers:
$6 = (4) x 8' boards (total offset "sleeper" length runs 30ft)
$6 x 41 ft = $250

$400 + $250 + $150 misc = $800 for a floor
(Misc: tar paper/roofing felt for the ground, poly for on top of the
sleepers, nails, pizza, beer, etc.)

Now we need to INSULATE that floor! It's only 1.5 inches deep under the
particle board top layer, and they're doing the rest of the hangar, anyway.
Hey, have them toss that into the $600 price, too. Let's blink first and
call it a $700 total.

And then there's that big (uninsulated) hangar door to consider! What to do?
What to do? What to do? g

Montblack
$1,500 insulated hangar with a new insulated (unpainted) floor, but without
factoring in hangar door options. Am I over budget yet? :-)

Old November 17th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Honeck

$1,500 insulated hangar with a new insulated (unpainted) floor, but without
factoring in hangar door options. Am I over budget yet? :-)

Sure, sure, Mr. "Hey -- I can fix that camper for less!" -- all I need
is to spend MORE money on a hangar I don't even own!

:-)

I'm liking the parachute with newspapers idea more and more. Can you
say "fire hazard"?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 17th 06, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Can you
say "fire hazard"?

Add a layer of dust on top of the newspaper and the parachute.... turn on
the lights... burst a bulb and I can say POOF! Atlas transforms into Puff
the Magic Dragon.

Jim

Old November 18th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jack Allison[_1_]

Jay Honeck wrote:

What do you guys do to keep your hangar warm, animal and snow free?

A California address! :-)

Well it does work for the warmth and snow free aspects. No birds (yet).
Got wasps though...routinely have to go on a wasp killing missions.

Snow? At the airport? That's just wrong man! :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL-Instrument Airplane

"To become a Jedi knight, you must master a single force. To become
a private pilot you must strive to master four of them"
- Rod Machado