SE turboprop vs. VLJ?

Old December 15th 05, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default SE turboprop vs. VLJ?

I read the press release from EADS Socata for the new TBM 850. They're
pitching it as a direct competitor to Very Light Jets with a 320kt
cruise at FL260 and 2.5-2.8M price. My question is does it really
compete with the new jets when it's a good 50kts slower? (typical
advertised VLJ cruise speeds are around 370kt +/-) Or is the speed
disparity a non-issue for those buyers? Compared to the Eclipse the
TBM's base price is $1M higher with a typically optioned plane about
1.3M more. Is short field capability a big seller in this segment?

Then again I read Beech is pitching its King Air C90GT as a VLJ
competitor with a 270kt cruise. At 3M it's 2x the price and 100kt
slower but has a larger cabin than the Eclipse. Maybe the marketing
spin is just lost on me?

Wooly

Old December 21st 05, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Some can get insurance for the Turbo but not a VLJ. Perhaps a good but
expensive stop over on the way to a VLJ.

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

oups.com...

Old December 22nd 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The fact is that jets are easier to fly than turboprops, but
insurance companies base their rates on potential loss from
a group. The King Air is wonderful airplane, but If I had
the money to buy either, I'd buy am Eclipse 500 and have a
few years of operating expenses left over.
Hell, a new Bonanza is over $1.24 million dollars, nearly
the cost of the Eclipse. A new Baron G58 will probably cost
more than the Eclipse and be just as hard if not harder to
insure.

--
Merry Christmas
Have a Safe and Happy New Year
| Some can get insurance for the Turbo but not a VLJ.
Perhaps a good but
| expensive stop over on the way to a VLJ.
|
| Thx, {|;-)
|
| Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

oups.com...

Old December 22nd 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

Hell, a new Bonanza is over $1.24 million dollars, nearly
the cost of the Eclipse.

Huh? Do you mean Baron? The prices I have seen for a new Garmin
equipped A36 Bonanza were in the neighborhood of US $600,000.

--
Peter
Old December 22nd 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

AS my son would say, "My bad" you're are correct about my
mixing plane. But in my defense I do make silly errors on
occasion.
Still, when I began flying a new Baron was only about
$40,000.00

Old December 22nd 05, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:

Hell, a new Bonanza is over $1.24 million dollars, nearly
the cost of the Eclipse. A new Baron G58 will probably cost
more than the Eclipse and be just as hard if not harder to
insure.

The Bonanza and Baron will cost a tiny fraction to operate compared to
the jet, or the King Air for that matter.

TurboProp Plane ID request Dennis Mayer Piloting 12 October 21st 05 07:19 PM
single-engine turboprop emergency landing in Indiana Kyler Laird General Aviation 4 December 29th 04 06:42 AM
A-10 in WWII?? Stephen Harding Military Aviation 64 June 18th 04 08:49 PM
BE 36 turboprop C J Campbell Owning 3 March 1st 04 09:35 PM
Trent Turboprop Meteor Aircraft robert arndt Military Aviation 0 October 29th 03 04:46 PM