Near Miss at DIA today

Old January 6th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Louis L. Perley III

Default Near Miss at DIA today

Airbus A-319 comes to within 50 feet of a Metroliner (Metroliner was on
the runway and the Airbus was landing)

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4957824

Question, what is the spin up time on a large airliner like that doing
a go around? I know it takes a bit for the engines to spin up and
develop take-off power. I know the weather out here this morning wasn't
so hot with all the snow blowing around.

--
Louis Perley
N370

Old January 6th 07, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Gardner

My big iron experience is limited to the 737 simulator some time ago, but as
I recall, the SOP was to bring the power up to a predetermined setting while
on short final, unlike a piston plane in which power is reduced as you near
the surface. The idea, of course, was to shorten the spin-up time you
mention.

Bob Gardner

ps.com...

Old January 6th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Airbus A-319 comes to within 50 feet of a Metroliner (Metroliner was on
the runway and the Airbus was landing)

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4957824

Question, what is the spin up time on a large airliner like that doing
a go around? I know it takes a bit for the engines to spin up and
develop take-off power. I know the weather out here this morning wasn't
so hot with all the snow blowing around.

My big iron experience is limited to the 737 simulator some time ago, but

as
I recall, the SOP was to bring the power up to a predetermined setting

while
on short final, unlike a piston plane in which power is reduced as you

near
the surface. The idea, of course, was to shorten the spin-up time you
mention.

My big iron experience is even more limited, to the seats in back except for
a few minutes in a sim long ago, but the pilots on every flight that I
recall riding on have increased power on short final. I presumed that
reduced spool-up time was a lot of the reason.

The physics of the situation, and my experience in basic trainers, suggests
that the closest proximity should occur some time after the command for full
power--and quite possibly after the spool-up is complete and the paths are
already diverging.

Old January 6th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Spool up time on the JT8D (727, 737, etc) is 8 seconds or less from some
minimum EPR to some maximum EPR but quite frankly I had those numbers
memorized from forty years ago.

Jim

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
. ..
My big iron experience is limited to the 737 simulator

Old January 11th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
Spool up time on the JT8D (727, 737, etc) is 8 seconds or less from some
minimum EPR to some maximum EPR but quite frankly I had those numbers
memorized from forty years ago.

The A-319 has either CFM-56s or IAE2500s, both of which go from idle to max
power in 3 seconds, and less time from flight idle. During a routine
go-around, approach thrust to MCT, power is available with little
discernable lag.

D.