PowerFLARM Portable - Firmware Update Available - Mode C Traffic Now Supported

Old January 16th 12, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM Portable - Firmware Update Available - Mode C Traffic Now Supported

Hi,

PowerFLARM users will be happy to know that a new firmware version has now
been released which enables the display of Mode C transponder traffic on the
PowerFLARM in addition to FLARM and ADS-B traffic. This is a free upgrade.
Details are available on my web site he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old January 16th 12, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Jan 16, 6:27*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

PowerFLARM users will be happy to know that a new firmware version has now
been released which enables the display of Mode C transponder traffic on the
PowerFLARM in addition to FLARM and ADS-B traffic. *This is a free upgrade.
Details are available on my web site hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

That's good news - especially since they won't be able to see many
gliders since most of us don't have our promised PowerFlarms yet!

Mike
Old January 18th 12, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Jan 16, 8:27*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

PowerFLARM users will be happy to know that a new firmware version has now
been released which enables the display of Mode C transponder traffic on the
PowerFLARM in addition to FLARM and ADS-B traffic. *This is a free upgrade.
Details are available on my web site hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Paul,

Do you know if this update was installed during the recent refurb
program for portable units? I got mine back a few weeks ago.

Frank (TA)
Old January 18th 12, 03:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Jan 16, 8:27*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi,

PowerFLARM users will be happy to know that a new firmware version has now
been released which enables the display of Mode C transponder traffic on the
PowerFLARM in addition to FLARM and ADS-B traffic. *This is a free upgrade.
Details are available on my web site hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/flarm.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Does this mean I don't need the ADS-B antenna connected to see Mode-S/
C traffic on my portable PowerFLARM?

Frank (TA)
Old January 18th 12, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Hi Frank,

You almost certainly need to install the firmware. If on powerup your
Flarm doesn't show version 1.2 of the firmware, you need to upgrade.

The upgrade process was generally painless.

One tip, when you follow the link to the firmware it will probably try
to display as a text file in your browser. Right click and "Save as"
instead and just save it as the only file on the SD Card. Follow the
instructions from there and you'll be up and running in a couple of
minutes.

I'm seeing all sorts of traffic on the device now where as before it
was occasional Mode S and every now and then ADS-B as a jet went
overhead.

Morgan

Old January 18th 12, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jan 18, 9:25*am, Frank Paynter wrote:

Does this mean I don't need the ADS-B antenna connected to see Mode-S/
C traffic on my portable PowerFLARM?

Frank (TA)

Hi Frank,

You probably did not get the new firmware loaded. Piece of cake to
do. And you MUST have the ADS-B antenna installed to pick up Mode C,
Mode S, or ADS-B targets.

As to the comment in the installation instructions about "not blanking
your Mode C for a while in areas with poor radar coverage", you can
remedy this by using your "IDENT" button on your Mode C transponder.
Probably twice in a minute or so and it should figure out that you are
there and not a threat to yourself. I haven't yet had a chance to
test this.

Steve (ZS, VJS, KN)
Old January 18th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Frank,

No. The new firmware came out this week. You'll want to upgrade.

You'll need both antennas attached.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old January 18th 12, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Jan 18, 10:29*am, Steve Leonard wrote:
As to the comment in the installation instructions about "not blanking
your Mode C for a while in areas with poor radar coverage", you can
remedy this by using your "IDENT" button on your Mode C transponder.
Probably twice in a minute or so and it should figure out that you are
there and not a threat to yourself. *I haven't yet had a chance to
test this.

That seems to imply that you think pressing IDENT will cause the
transponder to transmit, or am I mistaken?

Andy
Old January 19th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:37:04 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
That seems to imply that you think pressing IDENT will cause the
transponder to transmit, or am I mistaken?

No, pressing IDENT does NOT cause the transponder to transmit.
It merely sets an attention flag for controllers
(which highlights you on their display).
If the controllers did not request an IDENT,
they will not be amused.

Please do not do that...

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"
Old January 19th 12, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jan 18, 6:40*pm, Dave Nadler wrote:

No, pressing IDENT does NOT cause the transponder to transmit.
It merely sets an attention flag for controllers
(which highlights you on their display).
If the controllers did not request an IDENT,
they will not be amused.

Please do not do that...

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Hmm. Then I wonder what my transponder and PCAS equipped friends were
doing then to locate each other on a cross country flight? Radio
transmissions were as follows.

"Where are you?"
"I will give you an update. There."
"Oh, you are 240 degrees from me, 9.8 miles."

Later.

"I did get that update. Give it again. Got it. You are now 270
degrees, 5.5 miles."

Maybe I mis-understood what was going on? Maybe they were just "not
amusing" local ATC? If pressing IDENT sets an attention flag on the
ground radar display, it had to transmit something.

Haven't done it. Won't do it. Suggestion for others to do it
withdrawn.

Steve
Not an expert.
Never claimed to be.