Connecting InReach to Parachute Strap

Old June 1st 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hart

Default Connecting InReach to Parachute Strap

I want to strap my InReach to my parachute's right shoulder harness so that if I exit the glider prematurely the emergency beacon stays with me :-)

Any recommendations? The one InReach accessory I found online seemed ridiculously expensive. I would think an elastic strap with velcro fastener would do it...

David
Old June 2nd 17, 12:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 3:56:01 PM UTC-7, David Hart wrote:
I want to strap my InReach to my parachute's right shoulder harness so that if I exit the glider prematurely the emergency beacon stays with me :-)

Any recommendations? The one InReach accessory I found online seemed ridiculously expensive. I would think an elastic strap with velcro fastener would do it...

David

"Smack Pak" previously sold by Allen Silver, now through Robert Marshall. room for a few survival essentials as well. I stuff in water purification pills, small knife (weatherman), flashlight, space blanket, signal mirror, etc.

760 533-0341

www.Robertsairservices.com

Allen claims a landout kit in the plane is merely "camping Gear". what you take with you when you bail is survival gear.

Old June 2nd 17, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 3:56:01 PM UTC-7, David Hart wrote:
I want to strap my InReach to my parachute's right shoulder harness so that if I exit the glider prematurely the emergency beacon stays with me :-)

Any recommendations? The one InReach accessory I found online seemed ridiculously expensive. I would think an elastic strap with velcro fastener would do it...

David

Your parachute rigger can install a hard point on the riser cover which does not interfere with parachute function. I've had a few webbing straps installed vertically on the left riser cover of chutes.
If you get a Smak Pak or have a rigger make you an InReach pouch like I did, it can then be attached safely.
Bought my chute from Allen but did not get the Smak Pak, as I find a smaller pack less obtrusive in flight. My InReach pouch is essentially the same size as the InReach.
Jim
Old June 2nd 17, 07:45 AM
Brett Brett is offline
Member

Location: New Zealand

Flying a sailplane requires a degree of intelligence - hopefully enough to be able to work through this incredibly complex issue all by yourself?
Old June 2nd 17, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I bought a pouch like the one Cumulus Soaring sells and used a couple of Velcro straps running through slits I cut in the rear sides. The straps go around the shoulder straps on the parachute harness (in a location approved by my rigger). I also tie the safety lanyard around the harness strap.
Old June 2nd 17, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

There's intelligence in asking your peers for their experiences and advice, too. I can MacGuyver just about anything and make it work just fine, but often I see someone with a better solution I hadn't thought of. That is the purpose of this user group, right?

As a brand new owner of an ASW-19, I'm going to search the archives, then ask for advice on some seemingly esoteric things just to make sure someone else hasn't invented a better mousetrap. I'll take the type-specific questions to the Yahoogroups.

I thank you for your tolerance and assistance in advance. ;-)

Paul Agnew
VP- Treasure Coast Soaring Club
Vero Beach, FL

P.S. - First question....how to you pronounce Wedekind? Ist Deutsche?
Old June 3rd 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Hart

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 6:56:01 PM UTC-4, David Hart wrote:
I want to strap my InReach to my parachute's right shoulder harness so that if I exit the glider prematurely the emergency beacon stays with me :-)

Any recommendations? The one InReach accessory I found online seemed ridiculously expensive. I would think an elastic strap with velcro fastener would do it...

David

Thanks gang for the helpful comments!

Crotch strap for ASW 15? [email protected] Soaring 11 March 7th 13 04:53 PM
Shoulder strap discussion bildan Soaring 18 June 9th 09 04:06 PM
Strap-on headlamps and their ilk Casey Wilson Piloting 12 January 27th 07 07:10 PM
strap on jet plane???? Tony Piloting 3 January 1st 07 07:38 PM
Strap on Wings mikeytag Piloting 3 June 8th 06 06:53 AM