FAA Medical Question

Old July 16th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Gideon

Default FAA Medical Question

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:41:56 +0200, T182T wrote:

A First-Class medical is a goal all of us can establish early, but none
can maintain indefinitely, so why not keep it as long as we can?

I've followed this as well, and I'm healthy enough that I've no concerns
about it.

However, some of the older pilots I know have warned me against this
practice. The concern is apparently that the more in-depth examination
might expose something that would be disqualifying - once known - even
for a 3rd class medical.

I've mixed feelings. On one hand, I'd hate to lose my medical by "over
testing". On the other hand, I'd hate to be caught aware of a medical
problem that could have been detected earlier.

- Andrew
Old July 17th 10, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Andrew Gideon wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 23:41:56 +0200, T182T wrote:

A First-Class medical is a goal all of us can establish early, but none
can maintain indefinitely, so why not keep it as long as we can?

I've followed this as well, and I'm healthy enough that I've no concerns
about it.

However, some of the older pilots I know have warned me against this
practice. The concern is apparently that the more in-depth examination
might expose something that would be disqualifying - once known - even
for a 3rd class medical.

I've mixed feelings. On one hand, I'd hate to lose my medical by "over
testing". On the other hand, I'd hate to be caught aware of a medical
problem that could have been detected earlier.

- Andrew

If you get a real physical from your private physician and he/she finds
something, you have the chance of getting it under control to FAA standards
by the time your next FAA physical comes around.

If it is found during your FAA physical, you are screwed.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 17th 10, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn[_3_]

"Mike Adams" wrote in message
.. .
If you have your own physical and it finds something, you're obligated to
report it on the FAA medical application
form.

This is a classic case of unintended consequences from a perfectly
reasonable-sounding governmental regulation. The requirement for medical
certification may actually make pilots, especially Commercial pilots, LESS
healthy because any visit to their private physician has the potential to ground
them and forever remove their livelihood. It is hard to think of any other
group of workers with that type of potential bombshell hanging over their head.

Vaughn

Old July 17th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jul 17, 9:17*am, "vaughn" wrote:
"Mike Adams" wrote in message

.. .

If you have your own physical and it finds *something, you're obligated to
report it on the FAA medical application
form.

This is a classic case of unintended consequences from a perfectly
reasonable-sounding governmental regulation. *The requirement for medical
certification may actually make pilots, especially Commercial pilots, LESS
healthy because any visit to their private physician has the potential to ground
them and forever remove their livelihood. *It is hard to think of any other
group of workers with that type of potential bombshell hanging over their head.

Vaughn

Interesting take, and may have some truth, but in that the government
is the certifying authority there is an obligation on its part to
unleash on the rest of us people capable of performing the tasks they
are certified as capable. The other weeding out process, the BFI,
probably helps catch some of the medical misses. That leads to an
interesting question: has there been any work that demonstrates the
BFI has led to a safer universe of pilots?

A related question might focus on some kind of proficiency test for
drivers -- at least a test for reflexes!
Old July 17th 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

a writes:

Interesting take, and may have some truth, but in that the government
is the certifying authority there is an obligation on its part to
unleash on the rest of us people capable of performing the tasks they
are certified as capable.

Current medical standards are excessively strict, more suited to 1960s
astronauts than to modern-day pilots. In reality, pilot incapacitation for
medical reasons is virtually unknown.

And before you say that's because the sick pilots are weeded out by strict
medicals, consider the fact that medical incapacitation is also virtually
unknown among automobile drivers. It's pretty unusual for someone to become
incapacitated at the wheel of an automobile, even among drivers who are in
questionable health.
Old July 18th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jul 17, 9:17*am, "vaughn" wrote:
"Mike Adams" wrote in message

.. .

If you have your own physical and it finds *something, you're obligated to
report it on the FAA medical application
form.

This is a classic case of unintended consequences from a perfectly
reasonable-sounding governmental regulation. *The requirement for medical
certification may actually make pilots, especially Commercial pilots, LESS
healthy because any visit to their private physician has the potential to ground
them and forever remove their livelihood. *It is hard to think of any other
group of workers with that type of potential bombshell hanging over their head.

Vaughn

I had a conversation about a related subject yesterday. This had to do
with recruiting healthy subjects in the 40 to 60 year old range for a
clinical trial. The principal investigator mentioned that about 1 in 8
of those who self reported themselves as 'healthy' failed to meet the
screening criteria and were referred to their primary care physician
or a cardiologist. This 'unintended experiment' more or less led me to
conclude most of us with class 2 or 3 physicals may only see an MD for
a regular check up as part of of flight physical, and that is probably
the first time many of us learn of an underlying problem.

The obvious exception of course would be eye examinations.

Some health problems are preventable -- there are better reasons than
a desire to fly as PIC to stay fit, but no matter what the reason,
just do it! (Full disclosure, I own Nike stock.)

I do agree some small number when learning of a problem from someone
other than a flight surgeon will try to hide it. If the uncovered
disease is cardio pulmonary messing around in airplanes around 10,000
feet without supplementary O2 is not smart and it would be a good idea
for a prudent pilot to know that.

For what it's worth I have no such problems, but have been persuaded
O2 and a bottle of 5 Hour Energy is a good way to stay safe at 10,000
feet at night. (Hey guys, Five Hour Energy has a lot less fluid than a
thermos of high octane coffee, and that makes the need for urinating
into a ziplock bag on a long XC less likely -- more than you wanted
to know, huh?).

Old July 18th 10, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 18, 8:31*am, a wrote:

This 'unintended experiment' more or less led me to
conclude most of us with class 2 or 3 physicals may only see an MD for
a regular check up as part of of flight physical, and that is probably
the first time many of us learn of an underlying problem.

Yep, describes me to the tee. 2 very serious conditions for me was
discovered during my medical. One as described in my prior post
extreme hypertension and another was pre-melanoma freckle on my back
that look like a freckle to me. Both considered silent killers since
I had no "symptoms" to complain about.

So, this pilot doesn't complain about the nuances of the medical
process.

Of course I now see a doctor once a year for my BP medication renewal
but even then it's less then an FAA medical review.

Question on the medical... Richard Piloting 25 March 29th 06 04:41 PM
Yet another medical question Rachel Piloting 13 February 5th 06 11:44 PM
Medical question Michael Piloting 10 December 7th 05 07:58 PM
FAA medical question G. Sylvester Piloting 17 March 12th 05 12:13 PM
Question Medical Captain Wubba Piloting 5 June 11th 04 05:12 AM