Sun ship Game Nimbus

Old June 24th 16, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Chase

Default Sun ship Game Nimbus

Hello,
Question from the back of the room...
I recently watched ,"Sunship Game" .
Just curious what happened to the Nimbus that George Moffat flew....
Is it still flying?
Adverse yaw had to be sporting while trying to fly effecently.
Thank you.
Old June 25th 16, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

It was an open cirrus in the SunShip game, and I believe it was sold to the UK, Frank Whitely was partner in it at one time, and it eventually was totalled in an accident.
Old June 25th 16, 09:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Nimbus 2 ex-XX is for sale in Australia.

http://glidersales.com.au/single.php

Cheers Ben
Old June 25th 16, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 6:30:27 PM UTC-6, Tony wrote:
It was an open cirrus in the SunShip game, and I believe it was sold to the UK, Frank Whitely was partner in it at one time, and it eventually was totalled in an accident.

Cirrus s/n 23 was exported to the UK by me and flown XC regularly. I took on two partners, one a paraplegic, and the glider was handiquipped with a hand rudder control and locking airbrakes. Upon leaving the UK I sold my remaining share to another club member. The glider was damaged a bit later in a landing incident, IIRC, landing short of pavement and hitting the edge. I think it got a new canopy and some repair to the tailwheel. I think there were some other maintenance items addressed during that time frame. I had requested first right of refusal to purchase the glider should that syndicate ever sell, but I guess they forgot and sold it to someone else. That owner apparently landed it between two trees and wrote it off. The hulk remained with Mclean Aviation for many years, http://www.mcleanaviation.co.uk/ but unsure if it's still there.

Wonderful glider.

Frank Whiteley