usefull

Old November 3rd 03, 12:08 AM
G.A. Seguin

Default usefull

Could someone explain how to use the L/D feature,
in cruise, on my L-Nav. What should I do when it
show a L/D of 99...etc?
Thanks.
Gilles
Old November 3rd 03, 05:27 AM
BTIZ

depends on what you are trying to do... if your trying to stretch your glide
and save altitude.. your doing great.. slow down some more if you can.. you
could be climbing or in a level glide

if your in a contest.. fly faster.. you are flying straight ahead in lift
and could be flying faster..

BT

m...

Old November 3rd 03, 06:12 AM
Lord Struthers

Call Ripley's :-)
Old November 3rd 03, 11:37 AM
Ray Payne

keep doing it!

Old November 3rd 03, 03:35 PM
JJ Sinclair

Gilles wrote
Could someone explain how to use the L/D feature,
in cruise, on my L-Nav. What should I do when it
show a L/D of 99...etc?

I have tried looking at it a few times on final glide and to tell you the
truth, I think it is completely useless information. In the first place, it
doesn't stay steady, does it? Hit a bump and it says we are doing 99:1, hit
some sink and is says we are doing 20:1. Just what can I do with this
information? I watch the "altitude required" and rate its change. That is to
say, if the altitude required to make the glide, is increasing slowly, then I
am doing better than expected and might thinking about increasing my MacCready
setting (speed up, some) On the other hand, if the "altitude required" is
decreasing, we got big trouble, right here in River City. We need to slow down
by decreasing the macCready setting and we may want to take the next lift that
presents itself.
JJ Sinclair
Old November 4th 03, 01:04 AM
cernauta

"G.A. Seguin" wrote:

Could someone explain how to use the L/D feature,
in cruise, on my L-Nav. What should I do when it
show a L/D of 99...etc?
Thanks.
Gilles

It's not useful (IMHO). Use the "netto vario" function in cruise instead
(if available): the needle displays what the airmass in which you are
flying is actually doing at the very moment. In calm air it should read
zero. Many times you will find areas with positive or negative readings;
correct your heading by a few degrees and evaluate the results.. A few
cm/sec of rising airmass (not unusual in the late evening for example)
can make a huge difference to your glide.

Aldo Cernezzi
DG600