ASW-24 vs ASW-28

Old August 30th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default ASW-24 vs ASW-28

On Aug 30, 8:58*am, wrote:
Reasons to buy a '28 over a '24: 1. Newer gel coat, trailer, etc., and
2. hard ballast tanks. But I haven't flown with the factory tank
system so I can't compare it with the rapid dump I get using 1" ID
plumbing all the way through or the ease of filling.

Actually I never considered the hard tanks to be an advantage. I flew
my 19 for 15 years with Smiley bags and they were pretty much trouble
free. I had a completely unattended fill system. Just connect it up
and go the pilot's meeting. Come back after and it was full. With
the 28 I have to be there twice to shut off the water at the right
time. Bags are a lot easier to fix than wings if they leak but I have
never heard of 28s having wing leak problems and, unlike some gliders,
the dump valves are easy to remove and service if needed.

Standard 28 is slow to dump even with the later double vents at the
wing tips. Some people have put larger dump valves and modified the
vent system. I have not changed mine.

Yes it's true. The 28 wing had similar issues to the 27 but not
nearly as severe. Schleicher brochures claimed very low empty weight
before the first one flew. The claimed very large range of wing
think about 50lb heavier than the original brochure weight but even
then the wing stability was compromised, presumably in an attempt to
keep the weight down. However the profile distortion seen on some
28s does not seem to have a significant effect on performance. I
don't know how the wing weight compares with the 24 but it's a lot
lighter than the 19 and the LS8.

I'm 6 ft 2 inch with a long torso and easily fit in the 28 without
removing the seat back. I still have a notch or two of pedal
adjustment remaining and more head clearance than in the 19. I seem
to remember that the 24 was too small for me but that was with a
conventional back parachute and the seat back in.

Andy

Old September 4th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hard tanks might be an advantage if, like me, you trailer to the
gliderport every day. That tends to abrade the bags so I only install
them in the wings for a contest after I arrive. It's a hassle to use
water for practice flights at my home airport so I never do it.
Filling is very easy and dumping is amazingly fast with big valves and
plumbing.

I'm 6'3" (190+ cm) and cannot fit into a '24 with the seatback
installed (mine arrived without it; the factory substituted the
baggage compartment covers of the '24E to form a backrest) or with
most parachutes. I'm fine in a '27 and assume the '28 is equally
roomy. Early '24s (first 32?) were even tighter in the cockpit.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
USA
Old September 11th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Madrigal Jorge

Well,
I´ve got both. 300 hrs in the 24 and 300 in the 28 and I must say that I
was a little disapointed with the 28.
I think that the 24 climbs almost as well as any other glider. I´ve fown
it at the Britsh Overseas Nationals for two years with the 24 and another
two years with the 28 and I feel that the last one may be a little better
in very weak conditions and better in very strong weather if you fill it
up with almost 200 L of water !
As I live in Spain, we don´t have weak conditions for long periods so the
24 is just fine. Anyway you can also fly the 28 10 kms or more slower than
the 28.
I could say the 24 has been my best glider. If you fit in the cockpit
(smaller than the 24), you find one with the water bags in godd condition
and you won´t fly in very weak weather, it´s not worthy to buy a 28 as it
cost double.
I also find the 24´s roll rate better that the 28.
It always depends on the overall gilder conditions and the money you want
to spend.....
Cheers,

Jorge Madrigal
"28"
Madrid,Spain

P.s.: Sorry about my probable mistakes in written english...

Old May 9th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, August 28, 2008 at 10:25:41 PM UTC+1, Kloudy via AviationKB.com wrote:
Appears there are some ASW-28s for sale.
Having only flown the ASW-24 and '27, what are the differences between the
'24 and '28?

What would be a ball-park figure for ASW 28-18 in good condition? Anybody help.